Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 PM

338 posts, read 897,007 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Might have something to do with the very controversial Woods development going in right across the street from Lake Forest. The developer wants to put a sewage treatment plant for the neighborhood, right on the road, about 50 yards down from the entrance. Couldn't help sales in the neighborhood.
I forgot about that. I dont mean to change the subject, but who would buy a house in a development that has a sewage treatment plant? Who is building The Woods? What am I missing?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Might have something to do with the very controversial Woods development going in right across the street from Lake Forest. The developer wants to put a sewage treatment plant for the neighborhood, right on the road, about 50 yards down from the entrance. Couldn't help sales in the neighborhood.
I was unaware of that. Is it likely to go forward?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
I just read in the union county paper last night that it looks like it is being approved and and it said that the development might just get that private treatment plant they asked for....Maybe that is one of the reasons LFP isnt selling well...

Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 AM

810 posts, read 2,291,954 times
from the wife,
berryjuice, I do agree w/ you that is why LFP is probably having a hard time selling. There are signs on 84 that are against the sewage plant. I can't believe that Weddington will allow it to pass. I'm not sure why we can't do septic tanks here. All our homes in NJ were on septic and we never had an issue. We built the homes new so I'm not sure about 20 years down the road what happens to septics but I would much prefer an underground septic vs. a sewage plant. Londonlawyer, I agree w/ dh that you can do better for that price range. There are alot of beautiful communities out there for that range. You are lucky that you can rent for a year. We are very happy w/ our decision. It took us months and so much research on homes, schools etc... before we were sure. I agree about Marvin Creek it is very pretty but everyone tended to follow the same brick color scheme. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
I was unaware of that. Is it likely to go forward?
Here's a local blog on what is going on with The Woods.

http://www.villagescribeonline.com/?p=529

Weddington government seems to be on board, at least the Mayor and one council member have made comments that would lead one to belive that they are in favor. The developers have made a lot of promises and a couple of those promises will definitely benefit the mayor (extending Rea Rd) personally. Residents in the surrounding area are trying to rally, but it might be moot point by now.

So who knows...politics in Union County in general is pretty strange right now, anything can happen. To paraphrase Elvis Costello.. "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."

Last edited by jlat; 06-06-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
from the wife,
berryjuice, I do agree w/ you that is why LFP is probably having a hard time selling. There are signs on 84 that are against the sewage plant. I can't believe that Weddington will allow it to pass. I'm not sure why we can't do septic tanks here. All our homes in NJ were on septic and we never had an issue. We built the homes new so I'm not sure about 20 years down the road what happens to septics but I would much prefer an underground septic vs. a sewage plant. Londonlawyer, I agree w/ dh that you can do better for that price range. There are alot of beautiful communities out there for that range. You are lucky that you can rent for a year. We are very happy w/ our decision. It took us months and so much research on homes, schools etc... before we were sure. I agree about Marvin Creek it is very pretty but everyone tended to follow the same brick color scheme. Good luck in your search.
There's a lot of red clay here. The soil here doesn't always perk well enough to do a large number of septic tanks (204 houses for The Woods). My neigborhood (25 lots, average 6 to 10 acres each lot) is all on septics, and we have never had a problem. I think it is also a perception thing, after all, who wants their nasties sitting in a big tank out in the back yard.

The bigger problem is precident. If the Woods get to build their little doodie plant, then there's nothing stopping any and all of those fine UC developers from jumping on the bandwagon. I wouldn't let some of these clowns build an outhouse for me, let alone a serious piece of infrastructure like a sewage plant.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Isn't this plant going to be just outside of the entrance to the Woods? If so, perhaps it will be small and obscure. It would kill the development's sales if an industrial looking POS were located visibly by the entrance.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM

55 posts, read 172,983 times
I'm a resident of Lake Forest Preserve. I disagree with several comments made, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do feel like Orleans and JW are comparable builders (after looking at several builders and developments before deciding on LFP). My wife is also in RE, so we had access to plenty of info in MLD, sales history, etc. LFP is selling much better than people think. As far as amenities, JW neighborhoods do have more amenities... but you have to consider how many houses / families are sharing those features. You'll be hard-pressed to find a neighborhood with LFP's amenities with the (reasonable) number of houses that will share them in the long run. The location is also great. There were also some inaccurate comments about the waste treatment plant. The Weddington community is galvanizing to inform residents and and come together to block the plant. It is not accurate to say that it looks like the plant will be approved. In fact, the most recent official decision in late May was the Weddington Planning Board Unanimously rejected the developer's proposal. The residents of Weddington are willing to fight to oppose this plant. If you want to stay abreast of information, check out the website (content is added all the time).

Community Information for Weddington, NC

Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
I must say Im relating to what the union county paper said when dh and I read it over dinner last night, according to the article it is close to being approved...I will find the article and post it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: