Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,223,013 times

Advertisements

You can get some decent 1 and 2 bedroom apts off Harris west of 85. There are about 20 complexes. I like the ones West of Sugar Creek and around Mallard Creek better. Bexley Commons, Addison Park, Arbor Grove are a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,558,220 times
It is important in University City that you stay NORTH of Harris Blvd & WEST of I-85 for the better area of University City. Generally ZIP code 28269 is the better ZIP in the University City area.

University City is not bad at all...if you live in the right area.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM

260 posts, read 676,274 times
You should check Piper Glenn Apartments on Rea Road. My husband and I looked at them and they are really nice. The 1 BR is in your price range. Its really large.

Congrats on moving. Wish I had the guts to do it when I was single. Best of Luck.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM

252 posts, read 880,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchambers View Post
Just FYI...I used to work at UNC Charlotte and the University area has really taken a turn for the worse in the last 2 years. I moved here alone 8 years ago as a single woman to work at the University and I was so glad not to have rented there. Southpark is good, safe, near great malls...but if you want to meet other single folks I would recommend Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, or Dilworth for renting. This would put you in the historic neighborhoods of downtown (uptown/whatever) Charlotte and there are a lot of young people and single professionals/artists/musicians/etc. I would have not made it on my own if I had moved first to the suburbs because I think it would have been really hard to make friends/meet people as a single person. Good luck and welcome!!
You must be careful when you make a blanket statement about an area. What part of the university area are you talking about. You say you never lived there so where did you get you information? They are currently spending hundreds of millions dollars on new resturants, new shopping (trader Joes, Texas Land & Cattle, Spas, Juice Bars, etc.)The University area covers various subdivisions over a very large area. There are some EXCELLENT areas all along WT Harris, Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church. There are areas that are also crime-free, depends on where in University. Have you ever been to Boardwalk Billys, and the entire lake area. I think you should do a little more investigating about the various areas. I would not want the newbies the think that The university area is a dump and South Charlotte is all peaches and cream You recommend Plaza Midwood where within 1 block there are drugs and prostitution everywhere. the NODA area is up and coming but have the same problems within a short distance

Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,307 times
i do have to say that I think it is hard to move here as a young single woman and want to find a place in that price range and size and be in a good neighborhood/area. It is the equivilant to scoring a manhattan apartment that went co-op and you still pay $700 a month...real estate heaven : )

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 AM

73 posts, read 468,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
You must be careful when you make a blanket statement about an area. What part of the university area are you talking about. You say you never lived there so where did you get you information? They are currently spending hundreds of millions dollars on new resturants, new shopping (trader Joes, Texas Land & Cattle, Spas, Juice Bars, etc.)The University area covers various subdivisions over a very large area. There are some EXCELLENT areas all along WT Harris, Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church. There are areas that are also crime-free, depends on where in University. Have you ever been to Boardwalk Billys, and the entire lake area. I think you should do a little more investigating about the various areas. I would not want the newbies the think that The university area is a dump and South Charlotte is all peaches and cream You recommend Plaza Midwood where within 1 block there are drugs and prostitution everywhere. the NODA area is up and coming but have the same problems within a short distance

You are right...I did not mean to make a blanket statement about the area. I was thinking of the area where the university actually is and the apartments that are close to it. I have many close friends who work at UNC Charlotte (I worked there for over six years) and the crime problem on campus and in the immediate surrounding neighborhoods (where a young woman may find an affordable rental) is not to be ignored. UNCC has hired on extra security but staff/faculty have even been held up at gunpoint in the designated faculty/staff parking lots. As a young single woman, I would not want to move to that particular area. However, I know there are other farther areas considered "university area" that are very nice and that development is growing. Just my two cents! And your statement about Plaza Midwood is correct if you're in the wrong spot...but it's a great place to meet other young people and a great community if you're in the right spot. When I moved to the area in 2001 I rented in Elizabeth and spent the vast majority of my social time in neighboring Plaza Midwood. It was (and is) a great place to go to funky shops/bars/restaurants and feel part of a local community. And I always felt very safe living in the area...as safe as anyone can feel in a large city/urban area.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,976 times
In general, Univ. area and Southpark are very very different. Two different types of people, location, shops, restaurants, etc.

Why did you ask about those two areas? If safety is your #1 goal, Southpark would be better but of course there are also safe places near Univ. There are also some not nice places near the Univ. while Southpark doest really have any unsafe areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: