Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 519,008 times

Advertisements

Ok. In March and April when we had all the rain my lawn looked great. I have fescue and it was plush and green. I had aereated it and fertilized and all was good.

Now after 2 weeks of 90-100 degree heat and only being able to water once a week it has crashed and burned.

How do I know if my brown deadish looking lawn is from water deprivation and heat alone or if I have critters or fungus or something else going on.

Also, is it most likely dead or does fescure go dormant and come back?

Any suggestions?

I know you can't fertilize in this heat due to burn and you can't overseend anymore( I already did that in early spring), but isn't there like a Miracle Grow water soluble lawn spray? Is it any good.

Or am I just doomed to a brown lawn until the fall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,760,333 times
Bumping this one up. I have the same problem. My yard looks like I’m growing a miniature wheat farm. I’m thinking of running the sprinklers more frequently and taking my chances with a water fine, but I’m not sure if that would even help. If anybody has any suggestions, please share.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,225 times
What kind/type of fertilizer are you guys using? I think fescue isn't going to hold up well in the heat, but it's not dead. Are you watering in the evenings so it doesn't burn off? I'll tell you this, I'm using an organic fertilizer (yes that's an oxymoron), it took a while but now (my bermuda grass) is nice and has a deep green to it). Also if your lawn is less than two years old it may not have taken just yet.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,679,238 times
Organic Plant Health Care in Matthews has a product to help fight pests and makes your lawn green. It's to be put out in June.

As far as your brown fescue, it's likely gone dormant. Mine is still trying to hang on and I haven't even been watering the back yard (kudos to OPHC). If we get dumped on for a few days and you apply that product, you'll likely get green back.

Towards the latter part of the drought last summer and before I used OPHC, mine was thin, sickly, and browning, but it all came back in the fall save a few patches.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,412,378 times
I have the same problem. I also had the same problem last year. I was told by my landscaping guy that it just goes dormant in the heat and comes back when it cools off. Last year I did not water at all and my grass survived just fine. I was told that grass like anything builds up a tolerance to little watering. I was also told by him that most of his customers that had trouble with dying grass was due to them watering too often. He said the more you water the more dependent your grass becomes. Don't know if that is accurate, but it seems to make sense, and has proven true for me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: