Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:15 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | 06/21/2008 | Hundreds of cases could be dropped (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/679854.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,905 times
Did you see the quote "a defence lawer's dream". How can these people sleep or celebrate knowing that criminals are being let loose.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 AM

280 posts, read 948,615 times
Just adding to Charlotte's repeat offender problem. Hooray!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
I had the distinguished honor to serve jury duty (basically wait all day) earlier this month, and was almost picked for a small claims case.
Charlotte needs to postpone all these frivolously ridiculous law suits and use all that time and resources on our real problem.
Spend two days in court over $5K?
When the defense lawyer asked if there was any reason I could not serve, I told him politely what I just typed above.
The judge chuckled and said I was excused.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Not to defend these officers, but the lousy pay we pay the people we expect to protect us almost forces them to become corrupt. Yes, the majority of law enforcement people are straight shooters, but low pay for dangerous work doesn't help that. How do we let the people that are responsible for safety live on such poor wages.

My proposal is we cut some of the social programs- force people to work! Take away their time and motivation to commit crimes. Of course this won't completely solve the crime issue, but the saved money could be used to put more, better paid officers on the street! Just read an article about the shortage of law enforcement. Small towns with better budgets are poaching the already short urban police forces. The time to act is now!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I had the distinguished honor to serve jury duty (basically wait all day) earlier this month, and was almost picked for a small claims case.
Charlotte needs to postpone all these frivolously ridiculous law suits and use all that time and resources on our real problem.
Spend two days in court over $5K?
When the defense lawyer asked if there was any reason I could not serve, I told him politely what I just typed above.
The judge chuckled and said I was excused.
Man, you've got a great big set of brass ones!! About time someone used the venue to tell it like it is!!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Man, you've got a great big set of brass ones!! About time someone used the venue to tell it like it is!!!!
It is so ridiculous to think of all the time and resources being absolutely wasted when Charlotte has a devastating crime problem.
Our crime per capita is greater than NYC or LA, think about it.

Do not just get angry, take action, vote wisely, make yourself heard.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Many police officers in North Carolina choose to work as private police officers because it pays so much more. They are real police officers and have full powers of arrests.

But between these two guys here and all of the problems with NC and SC state troopers recently, something needs to be done.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:15 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
These guys were probably the only witnesses to most of these crimes, so of course, the cases should be thrown out. Besides, they're mostly drug selling/buying cases, which is really the big waste of time and money cops. It seemed like most weren't violent crime cases. Legalize drugs and watch the crime rate and ghetto culture collapse.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Not to defend these officers, but the lousy pay we pay the people we expect to protect us almost forces them to become corrupt.
I have never seen a salary increase turn someone into an honest person. I suspect these guys would have been 'corrupt' regardless of their chosen profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: