Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHof View Post
I disagree Whytewulf; this is not pardonable when we are talking about donor dollars to charitable non-profits, especially under the coercive methods described in some of the posts here. It's as severe as embezzling from your church.

This debate about her compensation has been going of for years, and the board responded by throwing another $1.2 million at her, and for no particular reason. She's retiring in a few years, so she probably made no threat to quit.

UW never learns. They have 20 years of abusive incidents like this nationally. They should not be forgiven, no matter what they say. Case in point: news reports today indicate that there will be no changes in the executive committee.

The defect in UW lies with the ivory tower of corporate executive board members who have little sense of how critical every donor dollar is to a recipient. Although this is the mode at every UW agency, it's particularly pervasive in Charlotte because we trust our corporate community more than most other cities.

There are many alternatives to community and workplace giving available now, and Charlotte has a time-sensitive opportunity to foster real change as a response to this fiasco. There are entities that do most of what UW does for no charge. Other cities nationwide are demanding more by rejecting UW as the steward for community and workplace giving. Learn more...

http://www.theuntiedway.org/index.asp

http://www.independentcharities.org/
The biggest point of my message was let her work it out, don't give her the money and no work. But I agree with you too on the white tower and I am not happy, especially if you read my earlier posts. I am just tired of them covering it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,113 times
I used to work for a NPO (don't want to say which one, but they have a telethon coming up this weekend). If you knew what "administrative costs" really covers, the salary of Ms. King would probably be the last gripe on a list of many.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellocharlotte View Post
I used to work for a NPO (don't want to say which one, but they have a telethon coming up this weekend). If you knew what "administrative costs" really covers, the salary of Ms. King would probably be the last gripe on a list of many.
Very accurate statement . . . and I think you are right - people would be quie surprised where the dollars go. That is why I kept asking who the PR agency of record is for UW here . . . and how much $$ they are getting paid for spinning this story for the Board.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Do tell hellocharlotte! I would love to know what things are considered in 'administrative' costs - Thanks!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,113 times
Just for you charlotteborn:

If you are ever "recruited" to attend one of this organizations fundraisers here is a list of some of the "expenses" that your raised dollars pay for:

the venue, which includes any food
any decorations
any limo services (to pick up/drop off fundraisers)
the hourly salaries of the people that call to recruit you (who are temps and not actual employees of this non-profit)
any supplies (paper, pens, paperclips, tape, etc.)

This is just a sample....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM

hellocharlotte - That makes me so mad! I guess I never thought about $$$ being spent like that! I guess I should have realized it but I assumed most of those things would have been donated. This United Way situation has really taught me a lesson. I will check out every charitable organization thoroughly before I give again!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
hellocharlotte - That makes me so mad! I guess I never thought about $$$ being spent like that! I guess I should have realized it but I assumed most of those things would have been donated. This United Way situation has really taught me a lesson. I will check out every charitable organization thoroughly before I give again!
You really should do that. We all should.

Here is a website you can use to get more info on charitable orgs and their efficiency rate . . . and use of donations, etc.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

Info from this site re: United Way of Central Carolinas: (FYE 6/2006)

Administrative Expenses $2,375,904
Fundraising Expenses $3,026,235

Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
So this would be the list of shame, everybody here should resign IMO

United Way discloses who voted to oust

The United Way of Central Carolinas Inc. late Wednesday afternoon released the list of board members who attended Tuesday’s meeting that led to the ouster of Gloria Pace King, the organization’s president.

According to a sign-in list for the meeting, 37 members of the 60-member regional board of directors attended. At a press conference following the meeting, the vote to remove King was described as unanimous. One attendee, Michael Smith, president of Charlotte Center City Partners, told the Charlotte Business Journal he left before the vote because of a meeting conflict. Smith says he would have voted for removal.

The 37 attendees on the list were:

•Dana Rader, Dana Rader Golf School

•Charles Bowman, Bank of America Corp.

•David Gurley, Merrill Lynch

•Mark Ricci, Bank of America Corp.

•Brad Howard, The Langtree Group

•Johnny Belk, Belk Inc.

•Bill Norwood, State Utility Contractors Inc.

•Gene Pridgen, K&L Gates

•Kim Henderson, Presbyterian Hospital Foundation

•John Chen

•Bob Morgan, Charlotte Chamber

•Morrison Creech, Wachovia Corp.

•Hilda Gurdian, La Noticia Inc.

•Tom Williams, Union County Board chair

•Harry Jones, Mecklenburg County

•Mike McGuire, Grant Thornton

•Phil Dubois, UNC Charlotte
•Paul Franz, Carolinas HealthCare System

•Tom Nelson, National Gypsum Co.

•Russell Robinson, Robinson, Bradshaw & Hinson

•Michael Smith, Charlotte Center City Partners

•Arthur Gallagher, Johnson & Wales University

•David Green, Lowe’s Cos. Inc.

•David Dzuricky, Piedmont Natural Gas Co. Inc.

•Curt Fochtmann, Ernst & Young

•Bill Farmer

•Mason Ellerbe

•Charles Brown, Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County

•Irv Bisnov, Deloitte

•Graham Denton, Bank of America Corp. retiree

•Carlos Evans, Wachovia Corp.

•Ned Curran, The Bissell Cos.

•Jeff Kane, Federal Reserve Bank

•Hal Levinson, Moore & Van Allen

•Gracie Coleman

•Loy McKeithen, Helms Mulliss & Wicker

•Penny Adams, Robbins-Gioia

On Tuesday, United Way of Central Carolinas named retired Wachovia Corp. executive Mac Everett to replace King on an interim basis.

The move follows growing controversy over King’s pay package.

Afterward, local attorney Bill Diehl, who represents King, said, “I’m not suprised. I’m disappointed for Ms. King. Nobody contends she did anything wrong, yet she’s being made the scapegoat of the United Way’s reaction to the public surrounding its decision to compensate her fairly and give her a reasonable retirement.”

In a written release distributed at a press conference Tuesday, the United Way board said: “The ongoing controversy has impaired the ability of current leadership to perform effectively. As a result, the United Way of Central Carolinas has decided to end Ms. King’s employment and bring in new leadership.”

Last year, the board added $822,000 to King’s retirement benefits. That compared with an increase of roughly $100,000 in 2006.

No additional retirement payments will be made to the package, the board said Tuesday. The board had previously planned to add $450,000 to $500,000 to her retirement account annually over the next three years. It had said it was making up for inadequate allocations in earlier years.

King has more than two years remaining on her employment contract. She will continue to receive her $290,000 annual salary for that period.

A search committee will be appointed within weeks to find a replacement for King. Members of the committee will be named soon.

Everett’s role will be temporary. He will receive $20,000 per month for up to four months in his new role at United Way. Everett retired from Wachovia in 2004 after more than 25 years with the Charlotte-based bank (NYSE:WB). His last post with the bank was as leader of its corporate and community affairs group.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM

I guess the board thinks that since they have fired Ms. King all of us peons will 'forget' this whole situation. Now they are going to be paying Ms. Kings $290,000/yr. salary PLUS the new president's $240,000/yr. salary!!!!! I guess the board of directors assumes we are all too stupid to ever figure that out!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I guess the board thinks that since they have fired Ms. King all of us peons will 'forget' this whole situation. Now they are going to be paying Ms. Kings $290,000/yr. salary PLUS the new president's $240,000/yr. salary!!!!! I guess the board of directors assumes we are all too stupid to ever figure that out!
Sure looks that way.

I am so amazed that these board members - wh/ include many high level execs and an attorney or two - would think firing Ms. Pace was the solution to their PR dilemma.

In other words . . . this just doesn't hit me as the story. I feel there is another story here that we are not being told about. Anyone else have that feeling? What is really going on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte