Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 322,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Chef Giorgio, a friend of mine lived near Bedminster for awhile. She was from Georgia & I have a Michigan accent. (both of us white) We would go into Bedminster, if I went to visit & they looked down on us like we were from another planet because we didn't look like we were filthy rich.
Well, in retrospecitve my comment was kinda rash. That did not happen everywhere in Bedmisnter, which is really small, but there was some of it, some people confused me with people from India (since some techies from there do live there), nothing that I woud get offended of course. I did get unpleasantly surprised though when meeting people there that the first thing they would ask me was how much money I was making!!!

Still it was a good experience. Before moving to NJ, our friends here in NC always told us how awful it was, yet none of them had lived up there. We actually learned a lot being in the north and close to NYC. I think there is always something positive you can accomplish anywhere you go.

We do prefer the south and that was part of the point I was trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
Well, in retrospecitve my comment was kinda rash. That did not happen everywhere in Bedmisnter, which is really small, but there was some of it, some people confused me with people from India (since some techies from there do live there), nothing that I woud get offended of course. I did get unpleasantly surprised though when meeting people there that the first thing they would ask me was how much money I was making!!!

Still it was a good experience. Before moving to NJ, our friends here in NC always told us how awful it was, yet none of them had lived up there. We actually learned a lot being in the north and close to NYC. I think there is always something positive you can accomplish anywhere you go.

We do prefer the south and that was part of the point I was trying to make.
I just wanted you to know that what you experienced was most likely the economic discrimination that Emissary mentioned. Where I am now is totally different, but conditions here, due to laws coming out of Trenton have made it intolerable, & I'll be going to the Charlotte area ASAP.

If you ever heard mention of South Jersey while in the Bedminster area, you heard nothing nice. They consider us to be worse than lepers, & I've had the comments made to me to my face.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'd have to say those numbers are pretty accurate. I'm not trying to be rude, but I can go days or a week+ at a time without seeing anyone but whites up here. I'm talking about just day to day driving, running errands, etc. and not going into certain neighborhoods where many non-whites live.

So 90% is about right.
I would not want to live somewhere like that...but to each his own.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:13 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I would not want to live somewhere like that...but to each his own.
Yep, to each his own.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
IkeaWife - One of the paradoxes of the Charlotte area is its tolerance of diversity. The Charlotte metro area is light-years ahead of a place like NJ. There is not as much "financial, steering and red-lining effect" as there is in "supposedly liberal" NJ. Minorities are not as confined to the cities and I've seen many more mixed-race couples here, than I ever saw in Bergen County. I think you'll probably be very comfortable no matter where you end up! Rather than a black-white issue, it's more of a how much "green" you've got attitude!
Couldnt agree with you more.........

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM

314 posts, read 675,620 times
Maybe IkeaWife would like Concord? It's slightly more diverse than over at the lake. Concord - 75%

Old 07-12-2008, 09:14 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Please explain why we can be looked "down" upon if we don't want to live in a totally "diverse" neighborhood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow. That was . . . uh . . . helpful.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Please explain why we can be looked "down" upon if we don't want to live in a totally "diverse" neighborhood!!
Not sure why you referenced my quote as a preface to your question!!! I don't care who lives where!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Honestly, I'd think those numbers would be higher if I didn't know any better. But FWIW, you are not "required" to live in a diverse area, albeit I know it's what you're looking for. You would have no problem living at the lake (LKN-Cornelius, Huntersville, Davidson) if you are not Caucasian. Everyone gets along up here no matter what color you are. And really, that can be said for just about all of Charlotte metro.

Truly, LKN is the safest area of Charlotte to live, and you could do yourself a disservice by overlooking based on the diversity factor. There is so much to do up here, people are ultra friendly and easy to talk to, there are tons of kids, of course there's the lake that offers so many recreational opportunities, again safety, and although we are close to downtown Charlotte (20 minutes), we feel like we are totally separate and independent of it.

I forgot to also mention that housing is very affordable up here, no matter if you're looking in the 100s all the way up to the millions. You get a lot for the dollar and all the while you're safe and can enjoy a great quality of life.

The university area has it's crime issues and it's definitely a strip mall haven with major traffic congestion. It's also close to the university, so you can expect college kids everywhere.

Personally, I'd trade quality of life over diversity any day. Not to mention, if you moved up here to the lake, we will be that much more diverse than we were!
If being less diverse means less crime, I'll take less diverse. I would like to see more Asians in the LKN area.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
When I first moved to Charlotte, I was appalled by the lack of diversity. Growing up in Chicago, where most people (1 in 5) are from another country, I truly missed the contributions that people from other countries made to my lifestyle. That is why,when I bought my house, I bought it in the most diverse area of the city; University City. I love the fact that when you are in the stores, there are often several different languages being spoken not to mention the many different kinds of foods available. We are not yet like Chicago, where entire neighbourhoods can be like going to mini-versions of another country, but, we are certainly getting better. I would not want to live in a place where 90% of the population looked/talked like me. how boring!!

IkeaWife, I think that you would be happy being near to your new store...assuming that is why you were asking the question to begin with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte