Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a mixed area but I am not sure I was a minority and it was renting in 1962-1963. I also worked for a long time as a minority teacher in a different-race school. At the time, the city was integrating its faculties so there were 1/4 opposite-race faculty in schools that had one race as a definite majority. I was one of 6/50 teachers in a school with no students of my race. It got to the point that when I went to the mall where most people were my race, they looked funny to me, all the same, and I felt odd. It gave me a new appreciation for the way other races might feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
IkeaWife - One of the paradoxes of the Charlotte area is its tolerance of diversity. The Charlotte metro area is light-years ahead of a place like NJ. There is not as much "financial, steering and red-lining effect" as there is in "supposedly liberal" NJ. Minorities are not as confined to the cities and I've seen many more mixed-race couples here, than I ever saw in Bergen County. I think you'll probably be very comfortable no matter where you end up! Rather than a black-white issue, it's more of a how much "green" you've got attitude!
OMG! That simply CAN'T be true. Everyone KNOWS that we're all a bunch a backward racists down here in the South.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Not everyone wants to live in a totally "diverse" area. When we lived in an apartment in Colorado, we had a family from India living behind us. The family wasn't that friendly (don't know why), but when they cooked their "home-land" type food, the odor (very, very, VERY spicey) would come under our door and almost make us sick. Perhaps they felt the same way when we cooked our American foods. The only type of foreign food we do like is Chinese.
Anyway, we aren't against "diversity" at all, but just choose to live in an area where there is less of it.
This attitude is what you will mostly find in the Lake Norman area; Waspy, "I want my way", "It's all about me" way of thinking. I find nothing of interest up there. Water don't excite me, and there's really not much to do if your not into water.

No place is completely safe in the Charlotte Metro area. Even south Charlotte, where all the new money is, have had to deal with break-ins. Even old money Myers Park, about as rich and white as you can get in this city, had a serial rapist a year ago. You want diversity? Great. I would suggest University City (I can hear the suburbinites in Hutersville and Davidson now "oh, it's so much crime!" to that I say, stop watching the news and come and see how progressive, cultured and entertaining the area is for yourself, instead of believing everything News 9 says), or the Southwest corner of the county around Steel Creek and Pineville is just as good.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsisko View Post
This attitude is what you will mostly find in the Lake Norman area; Waspy, "I want my way", "It's all about me" way of thinking. I find nothing of interest up there. Water don't excite me, and there's really not much to do if your not into water.
The man simply stated a preference. He doesn't want to live in a racially diverse area and he doesn't have to.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-14-2008 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:

No place is completely safe in the Charlotte Metro area. Even south Charlotte, where all the new money is, have had to deal with break-ins. Even old money Myers Park, about as rich and white as you can get in this city, had a serial rapist a year ago. You want diversity? Great. I would suggest University City (I can hear the suburbinites in Hutersville and Davidson now "oh, it's so much crime!" to that I say, stop watching the news and come and see how progressive, cultured and entertaining the area is for yourself, instead of believing everything News 9 says), or the Southwest corner of the county around Steel Creek and Pineville is just as good.
And so my blue collar friend, were in Cornelius or Davidson did you meet these snobs? Maybe you just felt out of place because of the money and education levels there. Sometimes such factors can be intimidating to individuals. I have found people there to be friendly and welcoming. I am sure that if you look, you will find all sorts of different people in all areas. So, you think that people should stop watching the crime on the news. Great idea. We want to keep people ignorant about risky, life threatening areas, huh? Again, great idea.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:03 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
And so my blue collar friend, were in Cornelius or Davidson did you meet these snobs? Maybe you just felt out of place because of the money and education levels there. Sometimes such factors can be intimidating to individuals. I have found people there to be friendly and welcoming. I am sure that if you look, you will find all sorts of different people in all areas. So, you think that people should stop watching the crime on the news. Great idea. We want to keep people ignorant about risky, life threatening areas, huh? Again, great idea.
It's just silly when people hear about a few crimes somewhere and then write off the whole neighborhood as "dangerous" and "life-threatening." There really aren't many areas of Charlotte that are that way. Yes, University has some crime, but nobody should be scared to go there. It's not like the Wild West or South Bronx of the '80s or something. Sometimes suburbanites and others get carried away with their visions of crime-infested neighborhoods, and I think the media play into that.

I sold a car to a guy from Lake Norman and he wouldn't go south of Mallard Creek Church Road to my then apartment complex at JW Clay and N. Tryon. I had to meet the guy in a parking lot. How ridiculous!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
You must have a short list of things that interest you.

And you must not know how to interact with people either. I find the most generous people living at the lake. Yes a lot of people have money up here, but many love to share the wealth too. I've played with many a millionaire at the lake who never expected anything in return. I've been able to a lot things I would never in this lifetime be able to afford, but have had the opportunity just because they are generous with their money and their toys.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM

197 posts, read 668,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Why isn't it more "diverse" in the LKN area......perhaps this is the reason: When we lived in Parker, CO (28 mi south of Denver), it was mostly white folks because some other nationalities just couldn't afford the housing there. The same was true in Highlands Ranch, CO. This also may be true about areas around/near LKN. Not only that, many folks who live around/near LKN are into boating, fishing......water sports. From what I've seen at Marina's here, it is white folks who have that interest, not generally other nationalities. Just my thoughts.
You'd impressed by the purchasing power of some international buyers. IE most of the luxury real estate market in SoFl ($600 and $1200 p/square feet) is purchased by international buyers (mostly from Latin-American and recently from Europe) and many of those transactions are all cash. I'd love to see them doing some shopping around here.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
You'd impressed by the purchasing power of some international buyers. IE most of the luxury real estate market in SoFl ($600 and $1200 p/square feet) is purchased by international buyers (mostly from Latin-American and recently from Europe) and many of those transactions are all cash. I'd love to see them doing some shopping around here.
This will be a trend for a good while for Charlotte region to become more diversified with Europeans, Canadians, Aussies etc since the dollar is so weak . Properties in North Carolina and Charlotte probably look like a dollar store to them.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Wife and I say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!" Some people just DEMAND that you like what they like and if you don't you're............!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
The man simply stated a preference. He doesn't want to live in a racially diverse area and he doesn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte