Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Why isn't it more "diverse" in the LKN area......perhaps this is the reason: When we lived in Parker, CO (28 mi south of Denver), it was mostly white folks because some other nationalities just couldn't afford the housing there. The same was true in Highlands Ranch, CO. This also may be true about areas around/near LKN. Not only that, many folks who live around/near LKN are into boating, fishing......water sports. From what I've seen at Marina's here, it is white folks who have that interest, not generally other nationalities. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Why isn't it more "diverse" in the LKN area......perhaps this is the reason: When we lived in Parker, CO (28 mi south of Denver), it was mostly white folks because some other nationalities just couldn't afford the housing there. The same was true in Highlands Ranch, CO. This also may be true about areas around/near LKN. Not only that, many folks who live around/near LKN are into boating, fishing......water sports. From what I've seen at Marina's here, it is white folks who have that interest, not generally other nationalities. Just my thoughts.
I think the combination of the former "ruralness" of the lake area (thus the generational white demographic), the distance from Charlotte's urbanization, and the active water lifestyle all play roles for reasons why this area is mostly white. Plus the fact that it is indeed less diverse probably discourages other ethnicities from moving here.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 AM

55 posts, read 87,337 times
Dear LoveBoating,
I know what you mean becasue once I rented to a couple who were Indaian and they werent friendly yet when they cooked it was awful the smell wouldn't come out of the walls and I had to repaint both my place and there's. I know it sounds bad but sometimes especially in a two family house or apt you have to look at odd things to make the right decision. I just said how I don't want to have kids who look like gang members on bikes in where I want to live. That doesn't make me a racist, I am just scared. If they spoke and said hi and seemed ok and their families were nice things could be different but what I found was some starring and no talking in some areas. This was when I was looking in Georgia but I must say it made a impression on me.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM

167 posts, read 473,864 times
has anyone in this thread ever been the race or ethnicity in the percentage minority versus having always lived in the majority? either in the US or abroad?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
One in eight citizens of Charlotte speak a language other than English. How diverse do you want it? There is no logical agrument. Charlotte is diverse whether you like it or not. Get over it you people that like to think you are superior and more worldly than the locals. You probably aren't

Old 07-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
has anyone in this thread ever been the race or ethnicity in the percentage minority versus having always lived in the majority? either in the US or abroad?
I know of at least one and he lives in Cornelius now, but I'll let him make himself known. To me, he seems to be of the mind that he doesn't care what any body else thinks, and I think that goes a long way. For in most cases (and racism is not an exclusive issue), we as humans perceive that people care or think about the way we look, act, talk, and think about us more than they actually do. Most people don't give you a second look or thought. If people would care less about this sort of thing, there would be more tolerance for all. We live and live down here that's for sure (as a majority).

The fact is, this person is not going to let the lack of diversity get in the way of living in a wonderful place that offers among the best quality of life areas in the whole of Charlotte metro. And kudos for him for that!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 PM

167 posts, read 473,864 times
that's a fairly hostile response for a rather simple, and neutral question asked

who has ever lived in the minority?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
that's a fairly hostile response for a rather simple, and neutral question asked

who has ever lived in the minority?
Where was I hostile? lol...and why are you so sensitive? I simply explained that there is indeed one person in this thread who is in the minority and does live in Cornelius. I also gave my opinion of people's perceptions and how we should all care less about what others think. I know I am guilty of caring about what people think about me sometimes.

Last edited by carolina_guy; 07-13-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Not everyone wants to live in a totally "diverse" area. When we lived in an apartment in Colorado, we had a family from India living behind us. The family wasn't that friendly (don't know why), but when they cooked their "home-land" type food, the odor (very, very, VERY spicey) would come under our door and almost make us sick. Perhaps they felt the same way when we cooked our American foods. The only type of foreign food we do like is Chinese.
Anyway, we aren't against "diversity" at all, but just choose to live in an area where there is less of it.
Pretty funny. I love Indian food, but my wife makes sure that I have the stove fans on and a window open when I cook it. My builder is from India and is selling his house. It is a great place, but I have heard people that look at it say that it really smells funny inside. The stuff actually gets into the walls. I am one of the odd people that actually likes the smell of those great Indian spices. People should live where they want. If one doesn't want diversity, it is their choice.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
The "diversity" isn't here (north of Charlotte) like some folks would like it to be, and neither are those small markets that sell the International Foods.
We truely like this statement from poster bandibadji: "if one doesn't want diversity, it is their choice". Now, why can't others have this same feeling!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte