Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Imagine when the Christmas Carollers come on Christmas Eve.
Their in for a surprise!
Well you could go medieval & have a bucket of boiling pitch suspended above the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
You could do this with a simple replay tapped off the doorbell switch, although Travel might have an off the shelf solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well you could go medieval & have a bucket of boiling pitch suspended above the front door.
I was thinking molten metal, but the pitch is a nice touch.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:38 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,567 times
Default want to clarify this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The important thing to remember is to clearly make the point IMMEDIATELY that "you were in fear for your (or someone else's) life." That is the key. If that's the first thing out of your mouth when the cops arrive, you're not going to jail for the night and you have a 99.99% bulletproof case in court.

Thankfully, in our great state, there is a legality that prevents any lawsuit from being filed (or maybe won) by someone who had any shred of guilt/responsibility in causing whatever happened that is creating the lawsuit. In other words, in a perfect case, because the intruder was breaking the law by entering your home illegally, they (or their family) would have no recourse to sue because the lawsuit wouldn't be there in the first place if the person never broke into the house.

I'm no lawyer, and I haven't made the effort to research this stipulation myself. I've been told by many professional sources however that this is the case...and that NC is only one of two or three states that have this provision.
metallisteve - i want to make sure i clarify this point. this is NOT what the policeman told me. he stated specifically that even if you have had a problem with the person before, even if you have called the cops on the person before, even if you state emphatically and believably that you were in immediate fear for your life, you will still be taken to jail and processed. he suggested to me that a person in this case would be released very quickly, but he was very specific about the police requirements in a situation like this.

the reason you have to be processed, as this cop explained it, is because they do have to file the second police report stating that you have committed a homocide.

as for the rest of your post, i have no idea. but i wanted to make sure i was clear and didn't mislead anyone in my post about exactly what the officer told me.

Last edited by barndog; 07-25-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: corrected info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte