Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,840 times

Advertisements

Dear all, I will relocate to charlotte soon and plan to buy a house under 300K. I heard that Ballantyne area is a nice place to live. I will work at downtown area. Is it too far?

I did some research online. There are a lot of resale houses and new development in the area zip 28277. I also heard that ppl in charlotte perfer brand-new houses or 0-4 years old houses. It will be difficult to resale a house older than 10 years in ballantyne area. Is it true?

Should I buy a new development?Cons: small yard, no mature trees How about the stone creek ranch, Reavencrest, and Southhampton?

Any infor will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 10:40 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,411,992 times
Ginger PM southcharlotte&Union she does real estate in that area as well as union county, she would be great to assist...just let her know Staci sent you....she can guide u and answer alot of your questions...

Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercookie View Post
Dear all, I will relocate to charlotte soon and plan to buy a house under 300K. I heard that Ballantyne area is a nice place to live. I will work at downtown area. Is it too far?

I did some research online. There are a lot of resale houses and new development in the area zip 28277. I also heard that ppl in charlotte perfer brand-new houses or 0-4 years old houses. It will be difficult to resale a house older than 10 years in ballantyne area. Is it true?

Should I buy a new development?Cons: small yard, no mature trees How about the stone creek ranch, Reavencrest, and Southhampton?

Any infor will be greatly appreciated!
Ballantyne is a very nice place to live. Don't know why you were told a home older than 10 years would be difficult to resell there. The people who live in Charlotte don't care for brand new houses - it's the newcomers moving in who look for those! Most of us who have lived here for a while value our older close in neighborhoods with more character. But of course, your money will often buy you more the further out you go, which appeals to a lot of people. To live in Ballantyne and get to work in uptown Charlotte is roughly a 45 minute commute. Time of day can make that a little longer or shorter. All the neighborhoods you mentioned are nice. I'd say come on down for a look, I know you'll find something great in your price range

Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ballantyne is a very nice place to live. Don't know why you were told a home older than 10 years would be difficult to resell there. The people who live in Charlotte don't care for brand new houses - it's the newcomers moving in who look for those! Most of us who have lived here for a while value our older close in neighborhoods with more character. But of course, your money will often buy you more the further out you go, which appeals to a lot of people. To live in Ballantyne and get to work in uptown Charlotte is roughly a 45 minute commute. Time of day can make that a little longer or shorter. All the neighborhoods you mentioned are nice. I'd say come on down for a look, I know you'll find something great in your price range
Thanks a lot for your input. 45-min commute sounds OK to me. I will focus on the area

Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Ginger PM southcharlotte&Union she does real estate in that area as well as union county, she would be great to assist...just let her know Staci sent you....she can guide u and answer alot of your questions...
Thanks NJMom I will get contact with her.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 AM

218 posts, read 254,440 times
Yeah, the 10 year statement is not true. There are many established neighborhoods in that area where appreciation has been "healthy".

For your price point, you might want to check out Southampton Commons. The Daventry section consists of patio homes with small yards, but the main section has the typical 2300-3000 sqft home with anywhere from .18-.3 acre lot.

It would help if we knew your definition of what a "small" lot is. What are some other things that are most important to you?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:29 AM

549 posts, read 2,386,819 times
Ballantyne is overrated in my opinion!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
hhh

28 posts, read 120,162 times
Reavencrest is a really nice neighborhood, I love that area

Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 AM

11 posts, read 30,279 times
If you don't mind the commute, you should look at the indian Land area.. It's right across the SC/NC border.. but only a few min. from ballantyne. Taxes are a lot better, great neighborhoods popping up everywhare. much better value (size of older homes, acreage, etc.). Schools are ok right now.. but will improve greatly due to the sudden influx of new tax dollars in the area. Very up and coming community. Great for looking at older or newer homes.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 AM

48 posts, read 151,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
Ballantyne is overrated in my opinion!
I guess it depends what you're looking for and where you're at now

Part of the difficulty in a move to Charlotte is you don't know any of the areas and you can't spend forever looking. At some point you have to choose. For me, Ballantyne fit pretty well what I want now, but now that I'm here I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for other nice places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte