Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM

26 posts, read 62,547 times

Advertisements

My allergies are year round and I take Allergra-D everyday. Sounds like from all the posts that I will still suffer but I am not complaining because I am so tired of the snow in dayton it will be worth it. I have other health issues that will definetly benefit with warmer weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
LOL! I am from Ohio, lived at the beach and other places, and never had allergies until I moved here. I am sick (and I mean miserably sick) all spring. Pack your allergy medication!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 PM

57 posts, read 142,358 times
I have a completely different perspective. Moved here from NJ 6 years ago. Had horrible hay fever which struck late summer into fall, every year. Moved here and it all vanished. Must be a low ragweed kind of place.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
My sinuses are so bad tonight that I can't sleep.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 AM

201 posts, read 804,048 times
I guess I'm another one of the rare ones who have actually been better than I expected. I had allergies off and on when I was still in Michigan, some seasons would be terrible. When I moved to Charlotte, everyone here warned me about how bad it would be for me, and after a year and a half, I still haven't had a single problem.

Good luck, I hope that you don't suffer with the allergies...and you are right, it may be worth it just to get out of the cold.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 AM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
A few years ago I read an article where some medical group ranked the best and worst cities for allergy sufferers. Charlotte was either #1 or #2 on the "worst" list.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhill View Post
My allergies are year round and I take Allergra-D everyday. Sounds like from all the posts that I will still suffer but I am not complaining because I am so tired of the snow in dayton it will be worth it. I have other health issues that will definetly benefit with warmer weather.

What are you allergic to? All depends. I had TERRIBLE allergies for the 20 years I lived in PA...in Charlotte I have to take an allergy pill maybe two days a year. My main problem was ragweed which is not down here at all.

Unless you know what you are allergic to, no one can really tell you if it will be better or worse. I say go get tested and see what you are really allergic to and then someone could give you a real answer!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:56 AM

I have been tested. They are the usual dust mites, cats, pollen, ragweed and mold. I take medicine every day now so if I still have to do that it won't be a big deal. Looking forward to leaving the 3 foot snow drifts behind. YIPPEE!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhill View Post
I am moving to charlotte soon. I live in dayton, ohio (called sinus valley instead of miami valley) and suffer terribly from enviromental allergies. Does anyone know if it will be easier on me in charlotte? Just curious.
Thanks.
'fraid not.

The mold and spring pollens are vicious.

The ozone in summer is awful for anyone with asthma or other breathing problems. On Code Orange days, I just grab my novel and put my feet up. Only go out to feed my fish.

My husband has been getting desensitization injections at Charlotte Asthma and Allergy; they seem to be working. He sees Dr. Richard Silton.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 PM

I did get allergy shots 3 yrs ago for about one year. the problem is I was more miserable when I was taking them so i stopped and just deal with it. Code orange days won't be too fun but 2 foot of snow and snow level 3 emergency is worse as I am getting older. Between the bone chilling wind and the snow it is paralysing at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte