Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,552 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. What do you think. I see the loyalty Kannapolis has to Earnhardt but loyalty won't bring a diversification of and an increase in jobs to the area. I guess I see both sides.

Earnhardt's hometown removes his honor flags (http://www.thatsracin.com/topstories/story/16769.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Well, I don't get it. Not like the Dale banners are the Confederate Battle Flag. Why would anyone - from anywhere - object to a city that honors someone who grew up there? Pretty weird, if you ask me - and pretentious, as well.

I would think they would find a happy balance . . . but I find it curious that a wealthy developer would find the flags objectionable - or think that someone coming into the area would find it objectionable.

That is like saying- "Ya'll dress up and look nice. I am trying to promote you ignorant people in such a way that you won't look like a bunch of yokels who only have NASCAR on the brain. So please put the chewing tobacco away and ya'll try to behave so Mr. or Ms. Got Rocks who is gonna visit won't see ya'll for the hicks you are."

Or maybe I have it wrong. Hmmmm.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
I guess the baseball team will be next.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I don't see why the 2 can't coexist peacefully together?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM

MM and Barking - I don't understand any of it! In fact, the more I think about it . . . just very, very odd.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
At first I had a bit of minor shock with this too. Then I read the history of the trial and how Murdock was instrumental in putting those signs up, and also how his feeling is that there really isn’t much of an attraction to it. So I understand his point now. Plus, there’s still the statue. Now, if they took that down, that would be horrible.

Most of the headlines just note that the signs are coming down because “company’s come'nâ€. But this story below explains more detail. It makes sense to me.

Story: SalisburyPost.com - Area - VIP visit prompts removal of 'Dale Trail' signs in Kannapolis

Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM

CB - as usual - you post good stuff, LOL!!! That article was much more detailed and explained that the flags were tattered . . . as well as explaining the city moving to the "science" marketing plan. There is no reason to believe anyone is trying to snub DE's family (or memory).

Thanx for posting a link that gives more insight into the decision.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Welcome to "The Dale Trail" (http://daletrail.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I don't get it. Not like the Dale banners are the Confederate Battle Flag. Why would anyone - from anywhere - object to a city that honors someone who grew up there? Pretty weird, if you ask me - and pretentious, as well.

Ani, Listen, I think its a cop out, BUT speaking as a person who hasn't lived in the south that long, unfortunately many people outside of the South feel NASCAR is somewhat a "low class" sport...the banners, if flying, would bring the sport to mind.

I'v watched several races (I actaully watched the 600 almost from start to finish....great race) and have changed MY views on the sport from a year ago. Kyle Busch has done some things on the track that blow my mind.

I think that if more people around the country watched it first (Nascar) before criticizing (like anything in life), I'd think you'd have more fans than what you have now.

I may be TOTALLY off base and shame on me if I am, but this is what came to my mind.....

Don't shoot me, just being open, that's all.....

Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ani, Listen, I think its a cop out, BUT speaking as a person who hasn't lived in the south that long, unfortunately many people outside of the South feel NASCAR is somewhat a "low class" sport...the banners, if flying, would bring the sport to mind.

I'v watched several races (I actaully watched the 600 almost from start to finish....great race) and have changed MY views on the sport from a year ago. Kyle Busch has done some things on the track that blow my mind.

I think that if more people around the country watched it first (Nascar) before criticizing (like anything in life), I'd think you'd have more fans than what you have now.

I may be TOTALLY off base and shame on me if I am, but this is what came to my mind.....

Don't shoot me, just being open, that's all.....
Heavens, no, Jack, no one is gonna shoot you. There are many people who see NASCAR as a "redneck" sport, LOL. This has changed in the last few years, as racing has become more "mainstream."

Actually, racing here in NC started off w/ bootleggers outrunning "the law," so the roots are pretty redneck, Hee Hee.

I can see how Murdock would want to present the town as more "tech" and less "racing" if that is the long range plan for the area and the city council is in agreement w/ that approach.

My initial reaction was that Murdock had created himself a Fiefdom and was now coming in (as Lord of the Manor) and dictating what is and isn't appropriate for the townspeople. Now, there may be some of that going on but I don't think his intentions are to disrespect the Earnhardts or DE's contribution to the area . . .

As others have stated - hopefully, there can be a balance w/ some history and tradition and the new "tech" image for the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: