Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
And you get to pay for towing, too!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif (broken link)

Wasn't there a story in the Observer about a year ago about a man whose car had been recovered by police but they'd never notified him? He was stuck with a storage bill in the thousands.
Okay. This is incredible!!! Tell me - does one's car insurance cover such expenses? This just isn't right!!!!

Heck, even if insurance does cover it - it is hell filing the paperwork and then one's insurance goes up after a claim. This is depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 AM

157 posts, read 790,934 times
I actually had my patio furniture stolen last week Wednesday night. It was stolen at around 11:00 right off my front porch. On Friday night, I received a phone call from a Police Officer, asking me to describe my furniture. Sure enough, he had recovered it, and was in the process of submitting to the DA to have a warrant issued for the thief.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
I was robbed and carjacked at Thomas Street Tavern a few years back.

Not only did they find the guy, I got to testify at his trial and laugh at the criminal as the judge sentenced him to 12 years minimum.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Now that's satisfaction!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Black FX - so glad you got your furniture back but dern - stealing it right off your porch! How brazen is that!!! Do you now keep a light on every nite? How crazy!!!!!!!

Native Son - sometimes, the universe does turn in a way that we get to see some justice!!! But how scary. Glad you got thru/ it ok.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM

157 posts, read 790,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Black FX - so glad you got your furniture back but dern - stealing it right off your porch! How brazen is that!!! Do you now keep a light on every nite? How crazy!!!!!!!
Yes, we learned the hard way....we keep a light on at night AND I locked the furniture with a small chain....

Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
Yes, we learned the hard way....we keep a light on at night AND I locked the furniture with a small chain....
Did CMPD think this was a matter of someone stealing it to re-sale it - or was it vandalism? (Or did they take it home and put in on their porch!!!!????)

The reason I ask . . . My hubby keeps arguing w/ me about putting some landscaping items up near the street, and my thought is - we are just making it easy for someone to drive by and rip stuff off, i.e. solar lighting, outdoor bistro set, large pots w/ flowers, etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,058 times
Unbelievable as it may sound, my sister had an eight foot ficus tree stolen off her deck while she and her husband sat in the den reading the newspaper.

Dunno, Ani, but I'd be cautious of what you put in the front yard.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 PM

201 posts, read 804,310 times
We just found out this week that the detectives were able to find one of the guys who broke into my neighbor's home through the fingerprints that they recovered. Apparantly this guy has been in jail a couple of times before for robbery as well. That's what I have such a hard time with, they'll pick him up and he'll probably be back out on the streets, yet again, committing more crimes.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,025 times
My girlfriend's car was stolen last week, and our experience wasn't so bad, all things considered.

We didn't even realize it was gone until she got a call from the police in the morning telling her they had found it. It was only about a mile from the apartment, so we drove over in my car. The police were there waiting for us, and had her answer some questions while we waited for the crime scene folks to come and take pics and dust for prints. After that we were free to drive it back to the apartment (the only damage being two broken windows).

The one officer did suggest that we have them tow it to their storage yard and have the insurance company deal with it from there. Um yeah, no thanks. If I needed it towed AAA would do it for free, and if it's gonna sit anywhere and wait for insurance folk to look at it, it ain't gonna be somewhere where I'll be billed. This was the only part of the whole thing that really irked me (other than, well, the car being stolen). The way the cop talked about it had my girlfriend convinced that we HAD to have them tow it, and tow it to their yard. I had to explain to her that he was just trying to make some money for the police department, or truly thought he was making a helpful suggestion and simply wasn't very bright.

Oh, and so far, nope - they haven't caught anyone. I don't expect them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte