Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Oh wow. I am so glad you explained that about the towing. I would have not known to ask any further - just assumed I had to have it towed to their storage yard. I have AAA also . . . and so this is good to know . . .

I had some furniture delivered to my house and the delivery guys told me they had just been to another man's house and his Porsche had been stolen. Thing is - he had no idea it was gone. He worked at home (somewhere here in S. CLT). The guys were there b/f 9 am w/ the delivery and the man was on the phone - had just gotten a call from CMPD about FINDING his stolen Porsche!!! He told the delivery guys that evidently, someone had broken in during the nite, stolen some items in the house, found his Porsche keys and drove off in it. He had never awakened!!!! Never heard the garage door open - nothing!!! So, like your g/f - he found out his car was gone - when he got the call from the police.

Oh - the other part of the story - the Porsche had been wrecked. I got online that afternoon plus watched the evening news - and there was not even a mention of it on the News. DH said - no wonder - we must have so many stolen and wrecked around here every day - the news stations don't even inform us. I thought they should have carried a story to alert people about this type of crime - breaking in your house, ripping off your keys and driving off w/ your car.

BARB- you are right. I am not putting anything where someone can walk off w/ it - too much of that type of thing going on these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
I have. Someone broke into my house and stole a laptop, XBox and games and video camera. Their parent turned them into the police and the police contacted me dn returned my items.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,058 times
The solen car stories reminde me of a similar tale. Christmas 1996, I received a usual small box among my Christmas gifts. "No doubt, it's my annual Christmas earrings, I thought I. But when I opened it, I was thrilled to see that it was an remote car door opener which my 1994 Toyota did not have but that I had been asking for. When I went back to work after Christmas vacation, we all exchanged stories about our best gifts. Before it was my turn, one of my colleagues and best friends told how she had received a small box as a gift. She too, used to getting earrings from the kids, had the same expectations as I. However, when she opened her box it contained only a key. Her family hustled her out to the garage where - you guessed it - a dark green Jaguar with caramel colored leather seats awaited her. I don't remember if I ever told my story.

What made me remember this incident was that when I spoke with her at the beginning of the month she told me that that car (or its insurance replacement) has now been stolen and found by the police five times.

I guess we should be grateful we don't own Jags or Porsches.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I have. Someone broke into my house and stole a laptop, XBox and games and video camera. Their parent turned them into the police and the police contacted me dn returned my items.
This story makes me both sad and happy. Happy about the responsible parents, sad about the delinquent kid. Happy for you.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh wow. I am so glad you explained that about the towing. I would have not known to ask any further - just assumed I had to have it towed to their storage yard. I have AAA also . . . and so this is good to know . . .
I was not given a choice. They contacted me after it had been towed already and then wouldn't release it so I was stuck with the fees.

It's be nice if this policy has changed.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I was not given a choice. They contacted me after it had been towed already and then wouldn't release it so I was stuck with the fees.

It's be nice if this policy has changed.
I think a lot of times, we just get shuffled thru/ and bureaucrats do whatever is easiest just to get the paperwork off their desks. Pretty sad - it is like getting victimized twice - when you end up paying for a criminal's actions. Crazy.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,860 times
House Broken into. TV stolen. Southpark area.

Cop didnt do anything but fill out a report. Business as usual.... No justice.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,620 times
As CMPD does not put any effort into property crimes when there is no violence or home/business break in involved, I was not surprised when they refused to even attempt to interview neighbors of my Charlotte home when my HVAC units were stolen a couple of months ago. However, I had a hard time believing that this could have happened without anyone seeing anything, so I took it upon myself to do some digging.

Sure enough, I was able to get complete descriptions of the people who stole from me, along with the exact day and time the theft occurred. All I had to do was ask around a bit, and I found that about six people saw exactly what happened (and sat there watching it without even bothering to call the cops).

I notified CMPD and they updated the report. So far I haven't heard anything back. Interesting thing is that the descriptions I gave them were fairly well detailed and out of the ordinary enough that I would be surprised if these people weren't known to at least a few officers in the department.

Oh well.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM

302 posts, read 961,877 times
Wow, i live in NY and this stuff doesnt happen to me... where do all you guys live that this is such a common occurence... in charlotte itself or in the surrounding suburbs/towns?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,256 times
I used to work long hours as a manager at the South Park Kinkos. After one particularly grueling 18 hour day, I went out to my car at 2 am to find my car's passenger window smashed and my cds stolen. I guess I hadn't hidden them well enough under my passenger seat. (They also broke my radio antenna "just for fun.")

I called the cops (and got barked at for not calling the 'non emergency number'; this was before 311, how was I supposed to know that?) and they sent an officer out, who showed up about an hour later.

She told me the thieves probably used pieces of porcelain from a spark plug to break the window (they're commonly known as "ninja rocks" because of the damage they do quietly, and with so little effort.) She also said there was probably no hope of finding them and all she could do was take a report so I could file it with my insurance company.

Sure enough, they never bothered to find the thieves. However, there's a small happy part to this story:

My music collection is dear to me, so I did what I could to try to recover my discs on my own. I realized that the person who stole them had no interest in actually *listening* to anything I owned, as my tastes are wildly eclectic, and since nothing was in jewel cases or sleeves, they might not bother to try and resell them somewhere either. I was hoping that they would have just pitched them in a ditch or something. So I posted flyers in the area describing what happened and put contact info on there in case anyone found them.

The nice part? People actually *called me* when they found cds somewhere. Nobody ever found my cds, but it was nice that people acted on information they had and tried to help. More reasons I love Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte