Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsonthemove View Post
don't think it's the promised land - just think it's a place where we can afford a house. i live in the bronx and am heading out to jury duty. if you check my neighborhood on everyblock, it's way worse. and i live in the safest neighborhood in the bronx: riverdale.

thanks for all your help
burbs, Wesley Heights is very up and coming but more inner city. It would be a great place to own property and watch it appreciate over time though! It is mostly considered very desirable for being right on the edge of uptown Charlotte, but is still being regentrified and is not crime-free.

Since you are from the Bronx I'm betting you'd have a high tolerance for what we here in Charlotte think of as "crime ridden areas". Chestnut Lake DOES have some nice homes and it is not in the worse part of town by any means. It is just not in one of the best parts of town with much new developement and is more of a middle to lower middle class area. Consequently, homes there are not appreciating as fast as other parts of Charlotte.

If you can tell us your price range we might be able to suggest other areas for you to check out that you would find a good fit for your tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,448 times
I grew up in Chestnut Lake back in the late 80's early 90's. I really would suggest looking in another area because this neighborhood was starting to go downhill several years ago. It's too bad. It USED to be a pretty nice area. Asides from that you really do not want to fight the traffic on Lawyers Rd. If you are looking in that area and still want a decent neighborhood I would check out Marlwood Acres.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,174 times
thanks for the suggestions - we are currently looking in carmel and are hoping to spend under $225,000. we're not looking for a starter home, but a place to live in for many years and raise our family there. i will definitely look more at wesley and marlwood

Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsonthemove View Post
thanks for the suggestions - we are currently looking in carmel and are hoping to spend under $225,000. we're not looking for a starter home, but a place to live in for many years and raise our family there. i will definitely look more at wesley and marlwood
So, you have school age children? If so, you may want to research the schools first, THEN decide on a neighborhood or area of town

Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,174 times
nope - no kids yet - just planning for the future

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
It might be a little mis-leading for people here on board to think you "live in the Bronx" Yes...you do, but Riverdale is not exactly like the South Bronx.
I looked at some houses in CLT last week that would make Riverdale look like a convent for 80 year old nuns.

In some of the hoods I looked at, the amount of sagged pants walking the streets would be able to sweep the streets of Iraqi in a day or two.

ALL parts of CLT are not step ups from other parts of the country.You need to walk the streets to get educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: