Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
It has been around for a while. People need to be aware of annexation laws before moving into this area. These laws are very close to the emminent domain laws that take land from owners for the good and/or use of the county or city (in most cases). I understand the frustration of finding out that you are going to have huge tax bills, but it isn't anything new and shouldn't be a surprise to people that have recently moved into the area.
People should always be surprised and appalled when a claim is made against their property by any entity without their consent. This is just another form of theft, or maybe it is better to say extortion, in that the property owner will now be required to surrender treasure to a city he/she did not voluntarily move into at the risk of losing his/her property.

The length of existence of this practice does not justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
If you voluntarily use the streets, roads, water and sewage lines or need services from the police and fire depts of one country, yet you 'technically' live in another, then I don't think you should be surprised when the county where services are consumed looks into the actions they can to recover.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Just twenty years ago in my rural county there was only two incorporated towns. Now, there's five with more to follow to prevent future annexations.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
If you voluntarily use the streets, roads, water and sewage lines or need services from the police and fire depts of one country, yet you 'technically' live in another, then I don't think you should be surprised when the county where services are consumed looks into the actions they can to recover.
This practice is used to promote urban development, not to recover losses from those using services without paying for them. If you live in an unincorporated part of a county, you pay county taxes and receive county services. If you live in a municipality, you also pay county taxes and receive county services, but in addition (in most cases) you pay the municipality taxes and receive municipality services as well. I have never heard of a case where someone living in an unincorporated area received municipal services without paying for them.

In a 2006 case called Nolan vs. City of Marvin, the NC Supreme Court issued the following decision:

Quote:
The primary purpose of involuntary annexation, as regulated by these statutes, is to promote “sound urban development” through the organized extension of municipal services to fringe geographical areas. These services must provide a meaningful benefit to newly annexed property owners and residents, who are now municipal taxpayers, and must also be extended in a nondiscriminatory fashion.
Municipalities only annex areas where there is a perceived financial benefit and no financial harm. Therefore, areas that may actually need the municipal services that go along with annexation are nearly never annexed. To make matters worse, annexed areas are often forced to pay development fees in order to receive those extra municipal services that are now being forced on them.

The only reason forced annexation exists is for the financial benefit of the municipalities, not for the benefit of the property owners.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
When did Clemmons and Winston get annexed into Davidson County?
Im sorry you mis read my post in Which Clemmons , Winston Salem (you can tell you live here for awhile I just call it Winston as well )
and High Point all three have annexed their city limits into Davidson County

its all good

Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
People should always be surprised and appalled when a claim is made against their property by any entity without their consent. This is just another form of theft, or maybe it is better to say extortion, in that the property owner will now be required to surrender treasure to a city he/she did not voluntarily move into at the risk of losing his/her property.

In the real world, concent isn't always relative when it comes to issues concerning eminent domain or annexation. If a person lived in his/her residence prior to existing annexation laws (1988 I believe) I would hope that they would be exempt from certain applicable taxes. As far as extortion or theft is concerned, that isn't an issue. Knowing local laws prior to relocating to an area is what matters. I don't really see where there is any matter of anyone losing their property. All I see is that a city is doing what growing cities do and either extending services of which charges will be paid via taxes or taxes will be paid for services that have been already rendered. I am sure that I would be very unpleased in your situation, but I believe that I would feel that the inevitable happened after having investigated posibilities prior to moving. Damn government controls everything.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post

Im sure the Cherokee Indians feel the same way as you.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
In the real world, concent isn't always relative when it comes to issues concerning eminent domain or annexation. If a person lived in his/her residence prior to existing annexation laws (1988 I believe) I would hope that they would be exempt from certain applicable taxes. As far as extortion or theft is concerned, that isn't an issue. Knowing local laws prior to relocating to an area is what matters. I don't really see where there is any matter of anyone losing their property. All I see is that a city is doing what growing cities do and either extending services of which charges will be paid via taxes or taxes will be paid for services that have been already rendered. I am sure that I would be very unpleased in your situation, but I believe that I would feel that the inevitable happened after having investigated posibilities prior to moving. Damn government controls everything.
This has never happened to me, but I used to live in an unincorporated part of Cobb County in GA, and really enjoyed my lack of "services" and the costs associated with them.

I don't see how you can say that theft and extortion aren't issues. The city swoops in and insists that someone who did not voluntarily choose to live in the city is now a resident and must therefore surrender a specified amount of money or risk losing their property. The mafia would love to have that kind of power.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
Quote:
...These laws are very close to the emminent domain laws that take land from owners for the good of the PUBLIC (in most cases)...
^ fixed your post.

LAMF, thanks for sharing your info in this thread. I was completely unaware that NC had that sort of law. It's no concern of mine since I already live well within the city limits, but it's still alarming. While I would tend to be a supporter of annexation, I truly find this law to be an infringement on civil and property rights.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
^ fixed your post.

LAMF, thanks for sharing your info in this thread. I was completely unaware that NC had that sort of law. It's no concern of mine since I already live well within the city limits, but it's still alarming. While I would tend to be a supporter of annexation, I truly find this law to be an infringement on civil and property rights.
The sad thing is both of the "major party" candidates for governor support forced annexation, with the Republican Pat McCrory actually coming out to the left of the Democrat on this issue (it's an urban vs. rural thing with them I suppose). Only Libertarian candidate Michael Munger has vowed to curb this overt violation of property rights!

Michael Munger for NC Governor 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte