Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer | 07/27/2008 | Charlotte seeks to annex small sliver of Cabarrus (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/730383.html - broken link)

Quote:
For the first time in its history, a growing and hungry Charlotte is considering taking a bite out of a neighboring county.

On Monday the Charlotte City Council begins considering its latest round of annexations: six areas totaling 11.1 square miles and containing about 18,700 residents.

While the sections are located on all sides of the city, one in particular has garnered attention. Located in the Highland Creek area, the parcel actually crosses into Cabarrus County.
The city got us less than a year after we deliberately moved to the county. Now they're not even sticking to Mecklenburg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Sorry it happen to you but now a days when you pay only county taxes you have to pay attention to how close you are to a city.

If you move to a county area with good schools, cheaper taxes you may be annexed down the road.
High Point, Clemmons, Winston Salem all 3 located in a different county than where they are annexing into Davidson County.

Im surprise or would not be surprise if Huntersville started to annex Lincoln County and Dever which is unincorporated. It would be a smart move on their part.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,407 times
There is a point to this. If you consume city and county services, then you should pay the appropriate county.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
I don't know how the residents of the proposed area to be annexed may feel . . . but sometimes, residents want to be annexed. As Baybook said . . . some people want the city and county services so are in favor of paying more taxes to get those combined services.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Charlotte Observer | 07/27/2008 | Charlotte seeks to annex small sliver of Cabarrus (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/730383.html - broken link)

The city got us less than a year after we deliberately moved to the county. Now they're not even sticking to Mecklenburg!
Although I bet when you need them, you'll be happy to see CMPD or CFD. I bet you dont complain about city water or sewer either. There are pluses and minuses to every annexation.

Personally, I feel it was stupid of the developer to not pay more attention to the county lines when they developed Highland Park.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sorry it happen to you but now a days when you pay only county taxes you have to pay attention to how close you are to a city.

If you move to a county area with good schools, cheaper taxes you may be annexed down the road.
High Point, Clemmons, Winston Salem all 3 located in a different county than where they are annexing into Davidson County.

Im surprise or would not be surprise if Huntersville started to annex Lincoln County and Dever which is unincorporated. It would be a smart move on their part.

When did Clemmons and Winston get annexed into Davidson County?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Although I bet when you need them, you'll be happy to see CMPD or CFD.
It's Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police. They consolidated about fifteen years ago. So, there's that.....plus the twenty-five minute wait I had for them when someone tried to break into our home at 3 in the morning that really doesn't factor into the annexation pluses for me.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,620 times
There are only 7 states in the nation that allow involuntary annexation of properties by municipalities without the property owner's consent. This is an assault on freedom and property and must be stopped.

For more information on efforts to place a moratorium on annexation, please see: Stop NC Annexation

Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM

246 posts, read 583,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
There is a point to this. If you consume city and county services, then you should pay the appropriate county.

As a current Mecklenburg Co. and Highland Creek resident, I will agree. I'll also say that I'm appalled that the city or county hasn't paved Eastfield Road, which is so littered with potholes that it's barely passable.

So, can I get a refund on my tax bill since the county obviously neglects this neck of the woods?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
There are only 7 states in the nation that allow involuntary annexation of properties by municipalities without the property owner's consent. This is an assault on freedom and property and must be stopped.

For more information on efforts to place a moratorium on annexation, please see: Stop NC Annexation
It has been around for a while. People need to be aware of annexation laws before moving into this area. These laws are very close to the emminent domain laws that take land from owners for the good and/or use of the county or city (in most cases). I understand the frustration of finding out that you are going to have huge tax bills, but it isn't anything new and shouldn't be a surprise to people that have recently moved into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte