Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times

Advertisements

I got a similar phone call a year ago. All the information was correct, except for the fact the *I* never opened the account. Identity theft victim here. I don't wish that mess on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,448 times
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. After I thought I was able to stop these people from thier harassing phone calls they have started calling again. My wife told me they have called 4 times this week. When my wife told the person on the phone they we had asked them several times to stop calling because they had the wrong person she was told that Spartan Financial did not have to obey the do not call list because they were not considered telemarketers but rather a collections agency. These people have the wrong person and there has to be a legal way of stopping the phone calls. Any advise on what avenues to pursue in order to stop this?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM

172 posts, read 584,486 times
I had the same problem when I got a new phone number. The person who had the number before me had all kinds of collection agencies after him. I got these calls for the last 4 years that I lived in NY. I have been getting a few here too for the person that had my NC number before me. They tend not to believe you when you tell them you are not the right person. The only way I have dealt with it is my not answering the phone if I don't recognize the number. If it's someone I want to talk to they will leave voice mail and I can get back to them. This after I politely explained several times that they had the wrong person.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. After I thought I was able to stop these people from thier harassing phone calls they have started calling again. My wife told me they have called 4 times this week. When my wife told the person on the phone they we had asked them several times to stop calling because they had the wrong person she was told that Spartan Financial did not have to obey the do not call list because they were not considered telemarketers but rather a collections agency. These people have the wrong person and there has to be a legal way of stopping the phone calls. Any advise on what avenues to pursue in order to stop this?
Couple of ways I have success with:
1) told them I had no idea (the truth) what they were talking about.But if they would fax me the paper work I would look into it. Then get the person's name and start to keep a little log. NEVER did anyone fax me. The next few calls you repeat the story of what you told the last bozo. On call #3 go to plan #2

2) after you have a record of harassment you can now say there is NO state in the US that allows harassment day and nite, collection agency or not. I said I would report them to the FCC and the ATT. Gen. office. Don't know why I selected those two but it worked. Calls stopped.

I probably just jinxed myself by saying that because tonite....oh no my phone is ringing and I don't know the ID.

Good luck

P.S. I think you don't fax anything because they are playing a numbers game of percentages and can't bother to take the time and send you info.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
I had the same problem when I lived in NoVA: except it was collection agencies looking for three DIFFERENT people all the time. (I must've hit the deadbeat phone number jackpot!) What I had to do was consistently call them back or answer the phone and tell them the person they were looking for wasn't there -- there was no one by that name at this phone number. If it didn't work the first time, I asked to speak to their supervisor, and so on up the chain until it stopped.

It did stop, btw, but I had to be aggressive about it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,624 times
I will say this once my Dr charged me a $25 copay instead of $30. I did not notice and then I started getting these calls. At first I was SURE they were crazy. Then I wasted tons of time on the phone with my insurance people and we figured it out... All that over $5!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I will say this once my Dr charged me a $25 copay instead of $30. I did not notice and then I started getting these calls. At first I was SURE they were crazy. Then I wasted tons of time on the phone with my insurance people and we figured it out... All that over $5!
Certaintly he'll never be called "Dr. Feelgood"

Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Spartan Financial --- It's Greek to me!

lln

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
these people are short of a brain they want me to call my daughter in iraq who is there for our country and tell her to call them about a bill i have never heard of ---he said they're not there for him he fought in vietnam--he was a jerk

Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
If they get worse and worse, you need to offer to meet them personally and discuss the matter. They're nothing but thugs who think they own you and the threat of physical violence is often needed.

I was in this situation about 14 years ago. They had the wrong person of course. After they said that I wasn't the person they were looking for, I was still receiving calls. I finally told them I would meet them in their offices in Baltimore and we can discuss it. After more back and forth and lots of yelling, I told the guy that I am holding him personally responsible for the trouble he and his company has caused me and that if I got one more phone number, I will go to his office and beat the living crap out of him. Surprisingly, I never got a call again.

(Now if you do owe money, well, there is nothing you can do but pay. It's still a shame that these collections people are really a bunch of d*****bags).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte