Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times

Advertisements

I received two messages last week on my home phone. Both of the messages were a recording stating that they were from Spartan Financial and they were trying to collect on a debt I owed. They left a number of 888-213-9688. When I called the number back I just got a voice saying they were not available. First of all my wife and I have no debt so I was skeptical. I did some research and it seems like this place has several complaints out there against them. I wanted to find out if they are legit and if so if anybody else out there has heard of them. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,057 times
I can't imagine it's anything but a scam.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
they are a real debt collection company. CMC sent my bill to them because I was making payments instead of paying my bill in full. Nice, huh? I was never able to talk to anyone either, but since I knew I still owed the money, I sent it to them. I assume it was taken care of, b/c I never got another bill from CMC.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I received two messages last week on my home phone. Both of the messages were a recording stating that they were from Spartan Financial and they were trying to collect on a debt I owed. They left a number of 888-213-9688. When I called the number back I just got a voice saying they were not available. First of all my wife and I have no debt so I was skeptical. I did some research and it seems like this place has several complaints out there against them. I wanted to find out if they are legit and if so if anybody else out there has heard of them. Thanks in advance!
I would pull a copy of all 3 credit reports, and make sure they're not reporting a collection account. I would also call them, and demand something in writing, is you doubt the validity of the account. You have 30 days to contest anything they say is yours. If it's truly not your account, and you cant reach resolution, threaten to file an FCRA lawsuit.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,501 times
Yes they are a collection agency and yes they are pretty shady. They also operate under Mark, Inc.

Check out the medical collections forum here : CreditBoards.com - Credit Help, Credit Repair Tips, News, Forums to see what the proper procedure is to handle this. Stay off the phone with them and do everything in writing.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 24,773 times
Default Spartan Financial Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Spartan Financial Services also goes by the name MARC, INC ( Management and Recovery Consultants ) Principal board members are the same.
Check your credit reports. An entry will drop your score over 40 points easily.

If they have illegally entered a debt on your report that is invalid I suggest you contact a good local attorney such as John W. Taylor, PC.
You should get a good attorney because you would be suprised at the attorneys that know nothing of NC 75 statues.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times
Do they answer the phone like this?:
Click Here

(sorry...I couldn't resist)

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Default North Carolina collection agency script

YouTube - American Credit Collections -- How to NOT collect a debt

Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Thanks for everyones advise on this. After weeks of annoying voicemails I finally returned Spartan Financials call. As it turns out they did not even have the right person. Yes the person I talked with on the phone was pretty rude hence thier reputation, but at least I have not received any more phone calls...

Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 PM

49 posts, read 179,425 times
Default Hate SPARTAN

Those vampires put a record on my ailing credit report after I paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte