Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM

47 posts, read 116,015 times

Advertisements

I ask that because we live in SOCAL where they are always inventing ways to tax you to death, as they have absolutely blowen the budget. The quality of life here is slipping as the illgles(a protected species) are taking over and bankrupting the state.
My wife has an oppurtunity to possably relocate with B of A and we are wondering about the schools, taxes and general quality of life in North Carolina.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-28-2008 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: fix the font code errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
the general way of life is as sweet as the tea here.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
the general way of life is as sweet as the tea here.
Could you go into more detail? like California people tend to be anti social and not too friendly, where I hear North Carolina is totally different, and how are the schools? PLease go into more detail.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
You are asking really broad questions, LOL!! How much you like this area will probably depend on where you would choose to live, as neighborhoods vary a lot here.

We would need to know the price range of housing b/f we could advise about schools.

I don't think it is any more friendly here than in CA . . . but my work experience has been based around Santa Monica. I am totally at home in that area and people seemed no less friendly or accessible than here. But maybe that is just Santa Monica. Charlotte is now made up of more newcomers than natives, but I still feel it is a "friendly" area. Not sure what your expectations are, tho.

There are lots of outdoor activities available here, but this is not SoCal by any stretch of the imagination. We have four seasons . . .

Your experience here will depend on the type of neighborhood you live in and where your kids go to school . . . what activities you like to participate in (lots of golfers here) . . . and how much money you have to spend on travel/leisure, eating out, etc.

This state is no bargain for taxes, IMHO.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are asking really broad questions, LOL!! How much you like this area will probably depend on where you would choose to live, as neighborhoods vary a lot here.

We would need to know the price range of housing b/f we could advise about schools.

I don't think it is any more friendly here than in CA . . . but my work experience has been based around Santa Monica. I am totally at home in that area and people seemed no less friendly or accessible than here. But maybe that is just Santa Monica. Charlotte is now made up of more newcomers than natives, but I still feel it is a "friendly" area. Not sure what your expectations are, tho.

There are lots of outdoor activities available here, but this is not SoCal by any stretch of the imagination. We have four seasons . . .

Your experience here will depend on the type of neighborhood you live in and where your kids go to school . . . what activities you like to participate in (lots of golfers here) . . . and how much money you have to spend on travel/leisure, eating out, etc.

This state is no bargain for taxes, IMHO.
Our max price for a house would be $300,000. The big concern would be tornadoes, do you get them or are you out of tornado ally? I admit I know absolutely nothing about Charlotte.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPTOP GAMER View Post
Our max price for a house would be $300,000. The big concern would be tornadoes, do you get them or are you out of tornado ally? I admit I know absolutely nothing about Charlotte.
You are at more risk for an earthquake or wildfire in California than a tornado in the Charlotte area. They do occur, but not very often.

Do a search on Lake Norman, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville, and Denver to get you started on places to live. Of course, these will depend on where your job is located. These areas are north of Charlotte up I-77. When you search, you will find that these areas are among the safest, best quality of life, and most active as far as recreation is concerned in all of the Charlotte area. Generally good schools.

Oh yeah, and less illegals roam around up here too.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM

46 posts, read 136,751 times
I would recommend visiting the area. I did and I was sold on it.

The taxes are a bargain when compared to my current in/around DC.
The quality of life was significantly more laid back and relaxed.
The traffic wasn't nearly as bad as what I am used to.
It wasn't 'Dixie' - basically it was the 'South' that some people picture.

All of these things, and 'quality of life' in general are very subjective. Here is how I look at it -- NC (Charlotte) must have something to offer for so many people from the North and Cali migrating to it. Visit - you won't regret it.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SigGuruMD View Post
I would recommend visiting the area. I did and I was sold on it.

The taxes are a bargain when compared to my current in/around DC.
The quality of life was significantly more laid back and relaxed.
The traffic wasn't nearly as bad as what I am used to.
It wasn't 'Dixie' - basically it was the 'South' that some people picture.

All of these things, and 'quality of life' in general are very subjective. Here is how I look at it -- NC (Charlotte) must have something to offer for so many people from the North and Cali migrating to it. Visit - you won't regret it.

Good luck.

I can go for laid back as in the LA area where I live they get mad if you are not driving 80 as you are in their way. sales taxes are pushing 9%. The traffic is horrible in SOCAL the 405 is the worst free way in the state for traffic. The other problem is the illegals are a protected species and are one of the main reasons that the state is broke and raising taxes, in fact they have to cut government workers salaries to minim wage temporarily to fix the mess.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM

182 posts, read 825,207 times
Default SOCAL to Charlotte

I moved from Long Beach/Lakewood area to Charlotte last November.
Born and raised in SOCAL, both my husband I miss only two things: our families and our paychecks!
Since your wife may have the opportunity to transfer with BofA, that's a good thing- my husband just landed a job that pays well after searching since our move.
I had a job waiting for me here, but I took a 30% pay cut , but at least I had a job once we got here and w/benefits.
IMO, housing, insurance (car, Homeowners, etc)and utilites are less expensive,but things like day care, dry cleaning, and groceries are WAY more expensive.
We were looking to have a sense of community and a friendly neighborhood, and we found what we were looking for, but it took us two years in research and planning.
As far as schools are concerned, just as with every where, you have your good and what people consider bad but my little one is just going into kindergarten, so my opinion wouldn't be helpful at this point. (you can search the threads on here and find out more)
Good luck in your search , we have no regrets!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contreras-21 View Post
I moved from Long Beach/Lakewood area to Charlotte last November.
Born and raised in SOCAL, both my husband I miss only two things: our families and our paychecks!
Since your wife may have the opportunity to transfer with BofA, that's a good thing- my husband just landed a job that pays well after searching since our move.
I had a job waiting for me here, but I took a 30% pay cut , but at least I had a job once we got here and w/benefits.
IMO, housing, insurance (car, Homeowners, etc)and utilites are less expensive,but things like day care, dry cleaning, and groceries are WAY more expensive.
We were looking to have a sense of community and a friendly neighborhood, and we found what we were looking for, but it took us two years in research and planning.
As far as schools are concerned, just as with every where, you have your good and what people consider bad but my little one is just going into kindergarten, so my opinion wouldn't be helpful at this point. (you can search the threads on here and find out more)
Good luck in your search , we have no regrets!
Thanks for the input from this forum, if anyone else can add to this that would be great, so far it looks like moving there would be a win win as California is slowly becoming unlivable. The state government is working over time to make a lousy quality of life here and they are doing just that. If you are filthy stinken rich, that California is great, because then you could afford the taxes and fees they're adding all of the time. We have a good income, but it dosen't feel like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte