Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 10,046 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife, daughter and I are relocating to the charlotte area soon and are trying to find a few family friendly neighborhoods in the area. I am working primarily in concord, but also in charlotte and would really like to find a home around concord or north charlotte, somewhere that the commute would be reasonable to either city. We have a 3 year old so elementary schools will be important. We have been looking at the woodlands and highland creek, but would like to find some other communities that are recommended by someone who lives there. We have noticed withrow downs, but don't know much about it. We're looking for a home between 200,000 and 275,000 max. Any advice we can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox0407 View Post
Hi, my wife, daughter and I are relocating to the charlotte area soon and are trying to find a few family friendly neighborhoods in the area. I am working primarily in concord, but also in charlotte and would really like to find a home around concord or north charlotte, somewhere that the commute would be reasonable to either city. We have a 3 year old so elementary schools will be important. We have been looking at the woodlands and highland creek, but would like to find some other communities that are recommended by someone who lives there. We have noticed withrow downs, but don't know much about it. We're looking for a home between 200,000 and 275,000 max. Any advice we can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
We looked at Withrow Downs, when we moved to Charlotte 2 years ago. ABout the only real drawback I saw was the nearly intolerable traffic twice a year with race weekends. If you can leave town, hole up, or deal with about 6 days of very heavy traffic annually, you might be very happy there.

We live in the Hattie's Meadow subdivision, which is off Mallard Creek Rd, about 5 miles from Concord Mills. It's a small (94 houses) subdivision. The elem school is Mallard Creek Elem which is rated well. There are a few houses for sale in the subdivision.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
There are so many in this price range. The thing to do in my opinion is to drive around and write down what you like/dislike about each community then start narrwoing down until you find one that is for you.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

314 posts, read 676,083 times
There are homes in that price range available in Moss Creek...which has Odell Elementary inside the community.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM

252 posts, read 879,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox0407 View Post
Thanks
Withrow downs has some very nice homes in the older section. There is a community called Rocky River Crossing that is in Harrisburg (a mile from Charlotte) and its in Cabarrus county where the schools are more desirable because of the test scores. You can check them out at nc report cards. Also you can check out Fenton Dell. Be sure to find a good realtor when looking at the different communities. Its not like up north, there can be a vast difference only a block or two away

Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM

327 posts, read 1,198,065 times
I was going to help out until I saw that you're a Red Sox fan.

We spent alot of time looking in north Charlotte, didn't really look at all in Concord. Our desired costs were less than yours, so we focused our search along Prosperity Church Road (Wellington, Leacroft) and several other areas including Highland Creek and Withrow Downs. We settled on a smaller subdivision called Turnberry, located adjacent to Highland Creek. So far so good. Withrow Downs was beautiful (the older section) with sizable homes on decent wooded lots. We would have bought there, but the traffic on 29 scared us off a little, plus the proximity to the race track.

The best thing to do is come for a visit and drive around. We found that plenty of listings looked good online, but not so much in person. Realtors know how to take a picture of a property.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 AM

8 posts, read 25,080 times
My husband and bought our first home in Rocky River Crossing (in Harrisburg-when it was first being developed) It is a great neighborhood. Our kids both have friends there that they still play with frequently, so we are there all the time. We upsized to a larger home in Highland creek 4 years ago and love it here too. Both are wonderful family neighborhoods. Highland Creek has more ammenities, and feels "fancier" but I think is also more expensive because it it in Mecklenburg county. Both are good locations to get to Charlotte and Concord easily, and don't worry about the race traffic...there are ways around it!!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 AM

120 posts, read 325,467 times
I guess I'll just 3rd what rmorton and HannahB said. We moved to Rocky River Crossing two years ago and are really happy. We don't have children yet but moved here knowing we would and picked RRC for that reason. We do have a dog though and loved that there is a sidewalk that runs all along the main road of the subdivision. I agree, race weeks aren't really bad at all. Good luck on the move!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM

246 posts, read 583,683 times
I live in Highland Creek and love it here. My wife and I are expecting and we love the fact that our neighborhood has so many sidewalks, nice park & playground areas, 5 pools, a preschool, and a great elementary school. To top it off, we're only 5 minutes from Concord Mills, where they're building a new Lowe's and Super Wal-Mart!

People will rail about how bad Charlotte-Meck schools are, but don't listen. The high school that we're zoned for, Mallard Creek High, actually got equal or better ratings than Northwest Cabarrus, the school that most people consider "more desirable" because it's in Cabarrus County (the county that Concord is in). The only low rated school in our area is Alexander Middle School, but I seem to recall hearing that a new middle school will be on the way.

If you have any other questions about the area or Highland Creek in particular, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,046 times
thanks everyone for the information, does anyone know anything about university meadows elementary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte