Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 32,240 times

Advertisements

My wife is a dental assistant up here in NH and she would like to continue the profession if/when we move to the Charlotte area. She has been assisting for more than 12 yrs and would be considered a DAII under NC standards. Question is: What can she be expected to earn as a salary in the Charlotte area? Are there areas that pay more than others in that field? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
salary.com

just do the free part and you will get an idea

Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
My friend just landed a job as a dental hygenist six weeks ago and she gets paid $22. Her salary will go up when she takes and pass a required class in October. The place where she works has paid for the training. She had over 10 years of experience in Albany.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM

$22/hr for a Hygenist? I am going to have to do some research on this. She is an Assistant and makes $21./ hr currently. I don't want her to take too big a pay cut to make a move to Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Maxxbet, I had it wrong, she is an assistant not hygienist. I spoke with her and she told me the pay scale range from $12 to $24 based on the interviews she went on. Also, note that some salaries in NC will be less or more than where you from. From the people that I come in contact with, the salary in NC is lower.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Phew...I was hoping that you were mixing up the two (people always do) At least now I know that the pay scale is there and I am sure she wont have an issue finding work for the same kind of $$.

Now to find me a job...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

14 posts, read 39,421 times
How exciting! I hope you guys make it down here. The first thing to keep in mind is its a lower cost of living down here in the south. I've been down here for about 10 yrs and affordability is still a +. The medical field is very big down here. Lots of private practices for physicians & dentists of all kinds. I'd also get on careerbuilder.com. Its more common for people to post jobs there especially in the medical field. I have a couple of friends in the dental field and can forward your wife's resume if you have an interest. Just let me know. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 06-06-2009 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: comply with forum rules

Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxbet View Post
Phew...I was hoping that you were mixing up the two (people always do) At least now I know that the pay scale is there and I am sure she wont have an issue finding work for the same kind of $$.

Now to find me a job...
Maxx,

My best advice, get hooked up with one of the dental staffing agencies in town. They provide fill in work but also work as "headhunters".

My wife has used Dental Staffing of the Carolinas Dental Staffing of the Carolinas, Inc.- Charlotte's leading dental staffing agency since 2001 (http://www.dentstaff.com/index.htm - broken link). Sheri (the owner) has placed my wife in two different jobs and has gotten her fill in work for months when her doc went under. It can be a little difficult to "break into" her fill in lineup, but once you do, my wife was working almost every day as fill in. The good thing is a lot of the "fill-in" jobs are really paid interviews without the pressure of an interview.

"in-town" will pay more that the outskirts. Area such as Rock Hill pay quite a bit less (at least DH wise).

The only problem is that now people are cutting back on the dental procedures so a lot of DA hours have been cut back. I know my wifes dentist has some days where he has no "dentist" work, only there to watch the hygenists (and that makes for grumpy dentists). The cleaning side (hygienists) are still pretty busy, it is just people are putting off the crowns until their teeth fall out or they get a job!

Good luck. Have your wife contact Sheri at Dental Staffing and she can give your wife a good assement of the DA job market in town.

EDIT: just realized this is an year old thread. Who keeps bringing these back from the dead? Anywho, if anyone needs some Dental profession advice, there ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: