Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 AM

54 posts, read 194,681 times

Advertisements

We've never changed internet providers since we've had our computers but we're moving from ME to NC this week-end and will be switching providers. What will get lost when we go offline and switch providers?? Will we lose favorites, e-mails, contacts, etc??? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,202 times
You should not loss anything. If you are using IE all of you favorites will still be there. Also if you use Outlook or something similar ever thing will be the same...

Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,945 times
If you have an e-mail address through your ISP, you'll lose that. If your address is through something like gmail, you'll be fine. When we moved, we lost our e-mail address even though we were going from AT&T provider to AT&T provider (e-mail domains were different) There was a way to transfer all your old e-mails and address book to the new address, but we had to change actual addresses.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
About 2 months before I moved, I set up a Gmail account and got all my friends used to that one. Then when I moved, they didn't lose me.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the info!! Glad I don't need to think about that anymore!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
I had a similar conversation over dinner this weekend. A friend of mine "saves" all his data by sending it to a email account. ie; Hotmail, G mail. His theory is that that information is always available at the provider. So..if you were to "send your data" to a provider such as this could you come back later and retreive the information? (BTW the conversation started because another person at the table said she opened up a virus file and thought she lost evertthing)

Would love to hear the pros and cons of this theory.

je

Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Favorites = you will keep
Emails/Contacts = depends on your email address. If you are using the one through your provider and are not using outlook, then you will lose all of it. You can always set up a gmail/yahoo account and forward the ones you need to keep to it. You can always reenter all your contacts on gmail/yahoo as well. I personally use gmail as my main email address since it doesn't change.

I have been part of three different providers in during the last 3 years. This is more reason of why I use a basic email address through gmail. I have switched from Comcast to Bellsouth to Road Runner (Time Warner). When I move to Fort Mill soon, I will be forced to Comporium, which will be my fourth service provider.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Thanks again for all the info--I think we're good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte