Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 AM

787 posts, read 3,585,383 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you say you were coming to Charlotte this week? Well, they have moved the track of Tropical Storm Alberto some inland in North Carolina where it appears that the eye will nip at least the first 75-100 miles inland. While Charlotte is further inland than that, this is a very lopsided storm. And remember we are only talking about the track of the eye. You might want to watch the weather channel for updates until your flight. It is suppose to be here around Wednesday night. Good luck. I hope this doesn't mess you up too much. If you are coming in over the weekend, it should be gone by then. I just wanted to give you the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 AM

I was looking at the tropical update at 6:50 and now they have it coming even further inland than when I put up this first post. I just want you to get here in one piece. So far there has been no cancellations in Florida but the thing is still off shore. They now have it coming in early Thursday morning some 8 hours later than I first quoted you. The wind speed is up slightly to 50 MPH which in itself shouldn't pose that much of a problem unless the rain bands get heavy.

Oh you might want to download this desktop weather thing at this site:

http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/weather.jsp (broken link)

Set the zip code to the Charlotte one that you are moving to or flying into this week. That should give you some help telling what to expect.

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-12-2006 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,475,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you say you were coming to Charlotte this week? Well, they have moved the track of Tropical Storm Alberto some inland in North Carolina where it appears that the eye will nip at least the first 75-100 miles inland. While Charlotte is further inland than that, this is a very lopsided storm. And remember we are only talking about the track of the eye. You might want to watch the weather channel for updates until your flight. It is suppose to be here around Wednesday night. Good luck. I hope this doesn't mess you up too much. If you are coming in over the weekend, it should be gone by then. I just wanted to give you the heads up.
Oh gosh Bethany, I hope this is not gonna be a pattern with me. I bring the first storm with me. Yes I'm coing on a red eye in the middle of the night Friday. Just my luck I better get used to it.

By the way we had a tornado where I work last week. I was off that day though, but the tree I park next to every day got uprooted. Is this a warning that there's more to come if I move? LOL

Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 AM

I think this will be reduced to a big rain storm by the time we actually get it. It is not nothing to get excited about although it might delay your flight. Remember this has to cross Florida, Georgia, South Carolina before it even gets to North Carolina. But over the years I have heeded the advice and worse case scenario so that when nothing like what they have even thought about predicting happens, I am prepared or if it is less than they predicted, that is all the better. They don't seem to be at all concerned about it. Just the amount of rainfall that is coming with this one. Right now they are saying it will be about 8-12 inches which the vast majority of this will fall in Florida where they really need it. The interesting thing about this storm is that it started on the Pacific side of Mexico. It was TD-2. It crossed over Mexico and then got into the gulf and now it is a tropical storm of the Atlantic. That doesn't happen a lot. This is also a very lopsided storm so most of the rain is going to be on the east side of where the eye makes landfall. That is of course unless something else changes. Just keep in tune to the weather channel until your flight and I am sure that you will be fine. Right now the worse thing I see happening is the flight being delayed perhaps.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM

Hey girl, check your PM box. I left you an important message. (For a1m1700)

Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM

192 posts, read 655,298 times
how much rain are we supposed to get bethany?

Old 06-12-2006, 12:08 PM

I am not totally sure but this thing is nearly a hurricane now and I don't think they expected that. And it is still about 200 miles off the coast of Florida. The winds are up to 70 MPH now and they have hurricane warnings on the west side of Florida. I know one thing, the longer it sits there the stronger it is going to get.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 PM

I think they are calling for something like 8-10 inches but I am not sure if that is in the direct landfall area in Florida or if that is in the track itself. They are saying it will become extratropical once it exits off the coast of where ever it does it at, be it Georgia, North or South Carolina. I think they are surprised that this misshaped, lopsided storm has managed to strengthen this much. It just goes to show never trust what a tropical storm or hurricane will or will not do until it is gone. A perfect example is Hurricane Ivan of a few years back. Look up his track. It is priceless.

Here is the 2004 track of Hurricane Ivan or Ivan the Terrible. Notice how he starts out way in the Atlantic, crosses the Gulf states and swings wide inland and when he gets to Maryland, comes back south into North Carolina and back to Florida. That is what I call a terrible hurricane and he sure lived up to his name. Fortunately most don't survive that long.

http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~stevenb/hu...an/ivan_v2.gif

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-12-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte