Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,846 times

Advertisements

I moved to Charlotte in '99 when I was in my mid-20s and had a really good time. Since then, I've gotten married and had kids, so that bar scene has eluded me as of late, but I'd have to think that nightlife has only improved during that time and will continue to improve as the city continues to grow.

Is it a good place to 'get ahead'? It depends on your career. If you're a business/banker type, I would think so, at least as good as anywhere else in that industry. If you're a textile worker, probably not. There are plenty of 20 or 30 somethings that come to Charlotte and do quite well for themselves.

Places to live for a 20-something. I lived in the Plaza Midwood/Commonwealth area and loved it. A little funky, off-beat, but has some bars and restaurants with real character. I had friends who lived in South End, which offered similar amenities. The other obvious choice is living uptown if you really want the urban experience. Uptown is booming, fairly safe and extremely clean and well kept.

I came to NC by way of NJ and DE, so working here seems much more relaxing. The traffic isn't great, but better than what I'm used to. My coworkers are much more laid back, as are my clients. So, no, I don't think of it as a daily grind at all, and I'm not one who lives to work, I work to live .

Come visit again and see what you think. I doubt you'll be disappointed if you choose Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
If i knew where you were now . . . perhaps I could give you some comparisons and contrasts that would be meaningful. I have to disagree w/ the poster who said CLT is a wannbe ATL. Honestly, I am always surprised when I see this as it just ain't so. CLT is uniquely CLT and other than the fact that both CLT and ATL are below the Mason Dixon line . . . I don't get the comparisons. ATL is a very large city. CLT is a spread out city but we are definitely NOT a wannabe ATL. CLT would better be compared to other similar sized cities w/ similar economic demographics and MSA, such as Des Moines, Kansas City and Nashville.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
I have visited Charlotte once back in 2004. But in the last couple of months I have become interested in possibly moving to Charlotte. Hear lots of positives about it. I see lots of people with similar posts. Here are my questions: How easy is it to adjust to living in Charlotte for a person in their mid-20's? Is it a good option for someone looking to get ahead? Is there specific areas that you would recommend for someone in mid-20s, single and in the earlier stages of there career? Is working here a daily grind, stressful and how is the job situation? Would it be easy to meet people of similar age and interests. I enjoy dining out, nightlife, golf, bbqs, the beach, skiing etc.
Your questions are too ambiguous to answer. All of these factors depend on your motivation, personality, stress level adaptability, and material resources. Charlotte is like other cities. All of the things you enjoy doing are available in the area.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 PM

85 posts, read 193,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If i knew where you were now . . . perhaps I could give you some comparisons and contrasts that would be meaningful. I have to disagree w/ the poster who said CLT is a wannbe ATL. Honestly, I am always surprised when I see this as it just ain't so. CLT is uniquely CLT and other than the fact that both CLT and ATL are below the Mason Dixon line . . . I don't get the comparisons. ATL is a very large city. CLT is a spread out city but we are definitely NOT a wannabe ATL. CLT would better be compared to other similar sized cities w/ similar economic demographics and MSA, such as Des Moines, Kansas City and Nashville.
i wouldnt compare it to anyone of those cities, especially not des moines(unless there is a big des moines). charlotte is much larger then all of those cities. it is a unique city that is building its own reputation.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
I never knew there was a Charlotte lifestyle other than eating out & going shopping.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
i wouldnt compare it to anyone of those cities, especially not des moines(unless there is a big des moines). charlotte is much larger then all of those cities.
Des Moines, yes. Not KC and Nashville. KC is actually a bit larger of a metro than either Nashville or Charlotte. Of the three, the lifestyle of Nashville is probably the most comparable to Charlotte. But Nashville's probably a bit more like the more conservative and less edgy sister city of Austin.

Charlotte MSA - 1,651,568
Kansas City - 1,985,429
Nashville - 1,521,437
Des Moines - 546,599 (not close to any of these)

Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 PM

175 posts, read 412,834 times
I swear I don't just make this stuff up...I found this quote from a 2007 Fox 18 report,

Many call Charlotte the “Next Atlanta.” That sounds great, right? The Georgia capital has fantastic shopping, a roaring nightlife, and bigger business. But, it also has a reputation for nightmare traffic and terrible crime. Before we follow the same path, what can Atlanta teach us?

Anybody who has lived here for very long knows that there has long been a rivalry between the cities. Even when we won the Nascar Hall of Fame and Atlanta lost, folks were acting like we hand landed the Olympics. Heck even the Chamber of Commerce likes to point out that Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta, which is true. The actual popluation within the city limits of Charlotte is higher than Atlanta. However, Atlanta's metro area is over twice as big as Charlottes.

My point was not to belittle Charlotte at all. It is a great place to live and will remain just that. However, there are always some who want to make it out to be something it is not...and it is not Atlanta (despite the FACT that many leaders here want so badly for it to be)

Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 AM

85 posts, read 193,797 times
were not atlanta. i think were going to be better.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
Charlotte is a wannabe Atlanta....much smaller, less stressful, but always trying to live up to her big sister to the south. Good part is, we still have plenty to do and even though people complain about the traffic...it is nowhere near as bad as Atlanta.

Now that being said...as Charlotte continues to grow and try to become a "world class" city....you can expect more growing pains and more of the things that make places like Atlanta places you dont want to live.

Downtown Charlotte...er, uh...UPTOWN Charlotte offers a great deal to the single 20something...great resturants, good bar scene, lots to do. Recreation is not far away..the National Whitewater Rafting Center is in town, Lake Norman and Lake Wylie offer good summer fun. Then the beaches of NC and SC are just a short drive away...which makes for easy weekend getaways. You have all the glitz and glam of the commercialized Myrtle Beach 3 hours away, and the serene very uncommercialized beauty of the Outer Banks about 6 hours away.

Then of course you have the mountains to the west. Great skiing in the winter up in the Boone area, just 3 hours away. Then to the south of Boone you have the very trendy Asheville.

Charlotte really is an ideal location...puts a great deal at your fingertips. Just be warned that many here have an issue with not being bigger and badder. Try as they might, Charlotte isn't Atlanta. But if you have ever spent much time in Atlanta you might know that to be a good thing.
I agree with all you said except the wanna be Atlanta thing. I don't know anyone that wants Charlotte to be like Atlanta. I love large cities. Atlanta isn't one of them though. The traffic sucks, unsafe downtown, public transportation is scary, and it is too spread out.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 PM

217 posts, read 961,509 times
Thanks, very responsive here. I forgot to add some of the details on here.... I am currently in Long Island, NY. I was just looking for peoples overview on what it is like living in Charlotte. There seems to be a lot of comparison to Atlanta;does Atlanta have something better going for it than Charlotte? I like to ski, but its not my number 1 thing to do. More importantly, good job opportunities in real estate and/or advertising, lower taxes, friendly/laid back people and singles scene as well are important. I do not like the grind, bad attitudes, expensive and rushed lifestyle were I am now. that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte