Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,632,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Ani you could have the driveway sealed so that any debris could be swept or blown away. That would save water. I guess that the same thing could be done to the decks.
We have low flow shower heads in out bathrooms & aerators on the faucets. We also have an 80 gallon rain barrel to catch the runoff from the roof for watering our garden.
Every little bit helps...
Yeah, we have the decks sealed regularly (well, DH does it) I don't think DH has done anything about the driveway. He is upset b/c I won't let him powerwash it, Hee Hee. I guess he should go ahead and powerwash it and seal it. He is just really OCD about this stuff. Big on edging - wants everything all in order. I am w/ you - I would blow the stuff off (and he does) but he says the debris leaves stains. He is gonna have to just learn to live w/ some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,021,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
He is gonna have to just learn to live w/ some things.
Maybe its time to sell the house & move into a penthouse condo at The Vue?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,632,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Maybe its time to sell the house & move into a penthouse condo at The Vue?
Hee Hee Hee. I WISH.

Time for Anifani to put an alarm on the outdoor faucet.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
Default Paying sewage

I had problems with my washing machine backing up, called a plumber and he informed me I was on city water but sewage was a septic tank!!!! I have been charged sewage fees from the City of Charlotte since it's inception. Which is what? Does anyone know when Charlotte started charging extra for sewage? I have been here for 20 years and never knew I was not on the city sewage. I called the helpful people at the C of C and was told it is the customers responsiblity, not theirs. I'm really ill about this. Can anyone enlighten me as to what year this started?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,476,064 times
Queenfp, first and foremost, make absolutely sure the plumber was correct in saying you're on septic. Ask your neighbors if they're on city sewer or septic. I find it odd that you've been there 20 years and never had a problem prior (especially with an old septic tank). Not saaying it's not possible, just a unique situation. If your neighbors are on city sewer, it's likely you are too...but there are rare exceptions.

If you can verify that you are indeed on septic, you need to call the utility billing department and raise hell. It is not the homeowner's responsibility to know what they should and shouldn't be charged for. The City is the one who sets up the account and turns items on and off (billing-wise), so they are responsible. If they can't keep accurate records of who is on sewer and who's not, that's THEIR problem. And they will be the only ones with records to show how long you've been inaccurately billed.

If you can't get anywhere over the phone, take it to your council representative. Do not let this go unresolved.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,790,209 times
And if you do have a septic system you better call to get it pumped out since you have been there for 20 years.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM

168 posts, read 481,874 times
Default H20 More expensive than Gasoline!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - I hope that bill you got is a "quarterly bill" and not a monthly one! If those charges represent only a month. I'd have apoplexy! That would be simply outrageous! If that is the case, I'm going to get on my knees and kiss the ground that I didn't buy a house in Charlotte! If that is what they charge on a monthly basis, it's a wonder every woman in Charlotte isn't a high-priced call girl! They might be the only ones who could afford a bill like that! BTW, my water bill last month was $10.01 and the sewer charge was $15. We don't pay for any storm water runoff charges.

Well in November they finally put grass down on my property.....
Had to water it ofcourse!! My bill for the month was $200.00!!
I am purchasing a WaterBarrel for sure!
Or should I cement my back yard lol

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,790,209 times
We are a family of 5. For the month of December our 18 year old son went to NJ for 3 weeks. Our water bill went from $65 to $27. Hmmmmmmm I think my son spends too much time in the shower!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,749,967 times
I just wish there were bill discounts for people that do things to save water. We're planning on getting rain barrels next year, in which case why should we have to pay a run-off fee??

We finally have our dishwasher installed, and will be getting a washer/dryer next, I hate to think about what our bill will be!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,333,543 times
My water bill last month was $70 and I am stunned.
Our dishwasher is a new Bosch (efficient), and the washer and dryer are near new front load models (efficient).

In the last 30 days I have not watered the lawn nor washed the cars (took both to AutoBell).
Crazy....

A few years ago in the summer when I was washing the cars every week and irrigating the lawn it was $50.
I expected that.

WOW!

Last edited by mullman; 01-17-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte