Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times

Advertisements

I'm from CT originally. I can guarantee you that you're more likely to have a problem there with this issue than here. And I mean that state-wide, not just this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
This may be going off-topic, but I've been dying to know after all the times this same question has been asked:

If you HAVE ever encountered opposition, which side was it more prevalent from?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Typically race issues around here have more to due with Nascar racing than ethnicity.

Welcome to the area!
I work with a mixed race couple, and neither of them have had any negative reactions since moving here.

Oh, and Tony Stewart Rules!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
This may be going off-topic, but I've been dying to know after all the times this same question has been asked:

My sons good friend dates a half black girl. Her mom is English and dad was a G.I. She is very smart, studies hard in school and prefers hanging out with white kids. She feels more accepted with her white social group since she also prefers dating white guys. She admits that she has been harrassed tremendously by other blacks and called many racial names since dating and hanging with whites. I suppose that as long as they don't beat her, she will live with it. She is a strong girl. Kid, huh?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

I'lll admit that it doesn't happen often, at least here in CT. We actually just recently had an issue in VA where an older white male yelled at my husband telling him to "stay away from white women" and then called me some nasty names. I don't want to make any generalizations and say that this is an issue of north/south, however from what my husband says, this is more commonly a problem in the south. And honestly, the only reason I ask this question is because I want to be sure that we move to an area where we can safely raise a family.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgrl View Post
I'lll admit that it doesn't happen often, at least here in CT. We actually just recently had an issue in VA where an older white male yelled at my husband telling him to "stay away from white women" and then called me some nasty names. I don't want to make any generalizations and say that this is an issue of north/south, however from what my husband says, this is more commonly a problem in the south. And honestly, the only reason I ask this question is because I want to be sure that we move to an area where we can safely raise a family.
By you mentioning that it was a older person I would guess that it was more of a generation issue with it than an area.
Charlotte Population is fairly young and probably did not grow up in the 50's-60's when the behaviors learn then was different.

I think my mom has alot of prejudice views but she grew up in a different time and I nor anyone can change what she believes it just the way she is
However she will not tell someone like you to your face so no worries there.

You will probably find that you are more accepted here than you realize

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM

Prejudices are not always inherited. Sometimes they are learned behaviors. Some people are prejudiced based on experiences. This occurs everywhere. Some people accept black/white relationships. Some don't. Everyone has to tolerate it. Growing up in the 50s or 60s has nothing to do with the issue. It is more likely that a black women with a white man would have problems. Don't worry about it. You will probably get some dirty looks, but I am sure that you knew that at the beginning of your relationship. Other than that, you won't have a problem. You certainly won't be in a unique situation. Whether you get alone with others basically depends on you and your husband. People will look beyond your situation and accept you both for what you are as individuals.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Overall, you'll be fine in the Charlotte area and hopefully you'll enjoy living here (I do). We're a multicultural family (I am Black) and have not experienced anything out of the norm. In other words, racism is everywhere but we are very comfortable here. I consider Charlotte to be very metropolitan — hope that is the right word.

That being said, there are counties outside of Charlotte (Not thinking Union or Cabarrus) that I would be reluctant to venture into. We were steered away from more than one place of interest. Just our experience.

As always, love and blessings,

Sara

Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Overall, you'll be fine in the Charlotte area and hopefully you'll enjoy living here (I do). We're a multicultural family (I am Black) and have not experienced anything out of the norm. In other words, racism is everywhere but we are very comfortable here. I consider Charlotte to be very metropolitan — hope that is the right word.

That being said, there are counties outside of Charlotte (Not thinking Union or Cabarrus) that I would be reluctant to venture into. We were steered away from more than one place of interest. Just our experience.

As always, love and blessings,

Sara
Why would you be reluctant? What do you think would happen? Who steered you away? I am curious.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Very generalized statement. I have been advised against certain counties, etc. by some well-meaning people whose judgement I trust. But my feelings are not limited to the Charlotte-area or NC. Everywhere is not safe for everyone, and I keep that in mind, especially in an instance where I'd consider relocating.

To the original poster again, I think you'd be safe, comfortable and happy in the greater Charlotte area. I know that we are.

Love and blessings,

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte