Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,047 times

Advertisements

my husband and 3 small child plan to move to union county or indian trail from south jersey.....how is it there...never been there...husband's job is transfering him.....how are the taxes on property? what I have read so far I didn't like however it sounds cheaper then NJ, I am paying almost 4K on a 214K home on small lot...any feed back out there...should we move? what is the area of union county and indian trail like? how are the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,176,114 times
Indian Trail is a town in Union County. There are many other areas within Union County as well. Some of the county is rural, some is more suburban and other parts city (Monroe). In general I think the taxes are lower here than in the northeast. For school information, check NC School Report Cards

I think if you will definitely be relocating here you should take the time for a visit or two before you move.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Default moving to NC

What do you know about Fort Mill SC? That is where my husband's company has started moving to? People are transfering now to Charlotte then just commuting over the border.....why? What is Fort Mill like that people are moving to charlotte instead of Ft. Mill? I guess we could move to either place but I heard the schools are good in Union County.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM

There are also a lot of people moving to Fort Mill If your husband is going to be working in Fort Mill, it would definitely be more convenient than Indian Trail. Let me know if you need the link for SC School Report Card scores.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 AM

yes I would like that link too please, do you handle the fort mill area as well? I have a realtor looking for us in the area but haven't heard anything from him for a while....

Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 AM

Here you go:

2007 State of South Carolina Education Accountability Act Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2007/default.cfm - broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 AM

327 posts, read 1,199,501 times
We recently moved back to charlotte after a 5 year stay in south Jersey. Property taxes are substantially cheaper down here than in NJ. We were paying $6500 on a 3BR 1.5BA outside of Mount Holly, NJ. We're now paying $2200 on a 4BR 2.5BA on .5 acres in Charlotte. Our kids aren't in school yet, but Fort Mill Schools gets good ratings, as do Union County Schools. Not sure why people would move to Charlotte, then commute to Fort Mill unless they want to be that much closer to uptown. Charlotte is a city, so it has good areas and some not so good, but nothing like Philly. The city has enough diversity of areas that you should be able to find something to your liking. Maybe if you tell a little more about the situation you are looking for (i.e. rural, suburban, price range for housing, etc.) people here can help out a little more.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
All of the Ft. Mill schools (part of York 4 school district) are outstanding compared to where I've lived. www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) lets you look at any district in the country for comparision. If schools are your primary concern, then Ft. Mill is where you want to move.However, many people don't like the more rural feeling and thus prefer to live in Charlotte. Ft. Mill is becoming a bedroom cummunity for Charlotte.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Thank you all for responding.....tell me MORE! Ok Fort Mill is where my husband's company is.....Daimler Trucks North America.....School are great so you tell me...wonderful, I have a 9 year girl, 3 year girl and 2 year boy..What is the housing like, I have been doing some research on my one but don't know what area in Fort Mill or does it matter because it is a smaller community? We are trying to come down in October/Nov for a visit to see the area. I don't want the big city for us but I like that it is close. Sounds like people are really nice too....What else can you all tell me about the Fort Mill?
Thanks so much

We are looking to move within the next year.....

Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,226,357 times
If he is going to be working in Ft. Mill, I see no reason not to live there, especially with a family. It is in SC, which has cheaper taxes and gas. It is a bit suburbia for single people in my opinion and a little farther away from uptown, but plenty to do there and not far from the amenities in Charlotte even. Housing is fairly standard, but it spends on community. House prices are still quite low. Less than $100 a sq ft easily on good property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte