Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

I just filled up at an Exxon and there was not a line per se, but the lot was full with 2-3 cars waiting.
Other stations in the area looked similar, meaning busier than normal, but not a line or a run on fuel.
WBT is covering the increases which are happening this morning at the pumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 AM

162 posts, read 400,895 times
Here we go again with the price increase....

My aggravation is, as someone mentioned before, it 's quick to go up 10-20 cents a pop but when the oil was declining it took almost two months to drop 40 cents.

I understand the stations will charge what the refineries are charging them for the wholesale, I get it...what I don't get is why the stations raised their price 20 cents overnight. They did not pay for that gas in their tanks at the 4-5 dollar a gallon price that it just reached yesterday. To me, it's gouging. They shouldn't be allowed to raise the price what seems like almost every few hours....there should be some law that says they can only raise that price when the first shipment of a higher wholesale cost arrives.

How about we move the refinieries to St Louis? We can send the ships up the Mississippi, and not have to worry about hurricanes stopping our refinery production.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
This public panic causes gas prices to go up. If the people didn't get in an uproar about prices shooting up to the moon. "I heard prices are going to be $35 a gallon next week" then other morons wouldn't get in a rush to buy it.

Gas is like anything else. If our cars ran on gold then would their be such an uproar about prices changing so much?

The reason prices are high are because the dollar is worth so little in the world market compared to what it used to be and because people are willing to pay for it.

If I owned an oil company I'd be charging as much as I thought people would pay. If they don't like it they can walk or ride a bike or develop their own method of energy production to power a vehicle. Or you could even buy a boatload of stock in Conoco or Exxon Mobile and rake in the money...since they felt I was making "too much" money and they could make a fortune as well. Or invest in oil commodities if you feel prices on those will rise and cash in.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Okay, hubby just called to ask me to fill up. His experience as he filled up at about 8:30 this morning: Some gas stations (he filled up in Fort Mill) stops the tank at 10 gallons, regardless if you paid by credit/debit card. A guy he was talking to just finished pumping gas at $3.99 and as soon as his nozzle stopped, it went up to $4.99! Price gouging is definitely happening at $0.20, $0.50 and up to a $1 per gallon. I had a quarter of a tank left and had to fill up tonight anyway, but had to do it this morning as it's definitely happening. Unfortunately, I am on empty so had to do it one way or another.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
How about we move the refinieries to St Louis? We can send the ships up the Mississippi, and not have to worry about hurricanes stopping our refinery production.
Exactly.
It is embarrassing that a storm or two can have such an effect on the USA.

We need an energy policy which is more than just sending troops to where the known oil is located.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Yup, I got a call from hubby too. Mostly because we were planning to be on the road in the truck this weekend, otherwise we could have waited.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:23 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
Here we go again with the price increase....

My aggravation is, as someone mentioned before, it 's quick to go up 10-20 cents a pop but when the oil was declining it took almost two months to drop 40 cents.

I understand the stations will charge what the refineries are charging them for the wholesale, I get it...what I don't get is why the stations raised their price 20 cents overnight. They did not pay for that gas in their tanks at the 4-5 dollar a gallon price that it just reached yesterday. To me, it's gouging. They shouldn't be allowed to raise the price what seems like almost every few hours....there should be some law that says they can only raise that price when the first shipment of a higher wholesale cost arrives.

One simple word: NIMBY. Same attitude tha has kept any new refineries from opeing since 1976!! That's 32 years people- our population has increased by more than 50%, and we're still working with the same number of refineries. Same applies to nuclear power plants- more than 30 years since one has opened. And people wonder why there's energy problems.

As for the OP's question- here's a dandy litle article from the Disturber:
Fearing Ike, some stations ask for 10-gallon gas limit | www.charlotteobserver.com

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
You do realize that the "Oil Companies" make pennies in profits from gasoline sales, don't you?
Yeah...Exxon only made a profit of 1,168,000,000,000 pennies for thier fiscal year (that is 11.68 billion dollars for the math challenged)!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
I dunno! This morning my local fill up was $3.65 I dropped the kids off and came back to fill up. It was already $3.99. I drove back down the road and filled up for $3.69 however some of the pumps had the bags on them to say out of order.

It truly is amazing that gas can jump .30 cents a gallon in one day but take 2 months to fall. Didn't they just cut off the refinery's this week?

I hate we are this dependant on gas.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
The rates we are paying today are not very different from what we paid in Florida during Hurricane Wilma and post Katrina. The price bump is probably temporary... if it makes you feel any better, Europe pays $5-$6 all the time.

It's a good time to think about utilizing wind power and converting our cars to use natural gas. Off shore oil drilling won't solve oil dependence, and would only lower gas cost by about 2% in about 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte