Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,473,126 times

Advertisements

To those who've been here for more than a year or two, what do you think this recent increase in rain activity means for snow this winter? I just recently closed the book on my first year here in Charlotte (moved up in June '07), so I don't have a good typical year baseline. We were in a severe drought last summer which messed with water levels, rainfall, and even leaf color change intensity, schedule, and duration. The color change this year should hopefully be right on track with a good solid change at an expected date range (mid through late October...where trees were already in full change this time last year).

But what about the snow? Do you think the rain will last into the winter and become some regular snowfall? I hear from co-workers that we had a heavy snow not too long ago in 2004...but I'm not sure of the rainfall activity that year. I know it's an altogether different time of year and there's no way to predict precipitation even for this weekend, let alone three or more months out! I'm just looking for a general feel...if it rains more in late summer/early fall, is it a sign that it'll carry over into winter and give us a few snows (more than we got this past winter)?

...and for the record, bring on the snow! Growing up in Florida nearly all my life makes seeing snow in person a novelty! Please, you northerners with stories of sore snow shoveling backs and frozen fingers, keep the snow ball throwing at my head to a minimum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,226,187 times
I predict 2 decent snows this year.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 AM

In the US?

Dang global warming.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,002,898 times
I'd be surprised if we have winter here this year.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM

149 posts, read 582,202 times
Yea, we had a heavy snow in 2004... 17 inches... but then it was 75 degrees the next day! I have been here for 7 years and haven't seen very much snow at all. Usually a light dusting, rarely a few inches but it is all usually gone in a few days. We don't get regular snowfall because it just doesn't get that cold. 40's are pretty average for winter and even then it doesn't get that cold until late November, then it is already warming back up by mid March. Ice on the other hand is more common for some reason. I have been through a lot more ice storms here than snow. FYI: don't even attempt to buy bread or milk if there is a hint of a chance of a winter storm! The stores get cleaned out in record time! Its hilarious!

On the good note, we are only a few hours from the mountains and even if they don't have natural snow, the ski resorts are always making it! I am a "northerner" (northwestern Illinois) and dealt with the winters my entire life, I would much rather just drive to the snow instead of having to deal with it day in and day out!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumssb View Post
...I would much rather just drive to the snow instead of having to deal with it day in and day out!
Can't argue with that!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
To those who've been here for more than a year or two, what do you think this recent increase in rain activity means for snow this winter? I just recently closed the book on my first year here in Charlotte (moved up in June '07), so I don't have a good typical year baseline. We were in a severe drought last summer which messed with water levels, rainfall, and even leaf color change intensity, schedule, and duration. The color change this year should hopefully be right on track with a good solid change at an expected date range (mid through late October...where trees were already in full change this time last year).

But what about the snow? Do you think the rain will last into the winter and become some regular snowfall? I hear from co-workers that we had a heavy snow not too long ago in 2004...but I'm not sure of the rainfall activity that year. I know it's an altogether different time of year and there's no way to predict precipitation even for this weekend, let alone three or more months out! I'm just looking for a general feel...if it rains more in late summer/early fall, is it a sign that it'll carry over into winter and give us a few snows (more than we got this past winter)?

...and for the record, bring on the snow! Growing up in Florida nearly all my life makes seeing snow in person a novelty! Please, you northerners with stories of sore snow shoveling backs and frozen fingers, keep the snow ball throwing at my head to a minimum!
Do you remember in three years ago in Florida when the heat was record breaking and a drought going on. There were predictions of a trememdous hurricane season because of the unusually hot ocean temperatures. That summer, there were practically no hurricanes. There is no real way to predict the weather regardless of rain. You can only hope. I am from Florida as well. I would like to see some. But, we will just have to wait and see. I hope your prediction turns to reality, but I won't absolutely rely on it.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
Me too me too!! From Miami, I'd like to see some snow..If not, we can always drive

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,988,769 times
Since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....
Geez, Steve, I just put my mums in today!!!! But, I'm ready for some fall weather. Bring on the chill

Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times
I enjoy reading the Farmer's Almanac predictions. However, the info online really cuts off Charlotte from the prediction area. That is the problem w/ trying to forecast weather here - we are affected by the mountains . . .

The Almanac predicts a colder than typical winter. As for snow . . . the predict a White Christmas - "for higher elevations."

Here is the link:

2009 Southeast Long-Range Weather Forecast and Prediction - The Old Farmer's Almanac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte