Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 85,312 times

Advertisements

We're planning to relocate to Charlotte and are looking for opinions on good high schools and what neighborhoods they are in. We have an open price range for a house and would like to be close to the city (decent commute - about 25-35 min or less in rush hour). We've heard Myers Park HS is pretty good (Dilworth, Myers Park, Eastover, SouthPark, Foxcrofts, etc. neighborhoods feed it and are nice for a family). We've heard Ardrey Kell is new but is getting good reviews but the commute from that area during rush hour averages 45-60 min. and the neighborhoods are also pretty good for families (Ballantyne, Highgrove, Bridgehampton, etc). We'd appreciate any opinions (we've been to the sites with the school report cards/ABCs/etc). Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryouakim View Post
We have an open price range for a house and would like to be close to the city (decent commute - about 25-35 min or less in rush hour). We've heard Myers Park HS is pretty good (Dilworth, Myers Park, Eastover, SouthPark, Foxcrofts, etc. neighborhoods feed it and are nice for a family). We've heard Ardrey Kell is new but is getting good reviews but the commute from that area during rush hour averages 45-60 min. and the neighborhoods are also pretty good for families (Ballantyne, Highgrove, Bridgehampton, etc). We'd appreciate any opinions (we've been to the sites with the school report cards/ABCs/etc). Thanks!!
I would also suggest you visit all of the schools you are considering and meet with the principal, even talk with some of the kids or PTA representatives. The areas that are closer in to town are great for convenience, but they can be more expensive (relatively speaking) than some further out. Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help in any way

Last edited by Jammie; 02-06-2007 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
Newsweek Magazine publishes top 1000 High Schools in the country every year and Charlotte has over a dozen area schools listed. Myers Park I believe was # 37. I've got the report filed somewhere and could e-mail it to you if you'd like. The principal of the new Ardrey Kell High School is from my hometown and taught school when my kids were in high school. He was highly regarded, nice guy, good teacher. People seem to like schools in the South Charlotte best.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
CMS has some great magnet programs but we still decided against Mecklenburg because of the seemingly unstable school system. Hopefully they are turning it around!

Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
Myers Park was one of the first to take on and excel at the International IB Program. Both myself and younger brother graduated from MP.

Many, many people choose this school due to the educators that have continued to thrive and take part in the success. They have a vested interest at this point.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM

197 posts, read 735,934 times
I might have an unpopluar opinion here... Audrey Kell may be a good school but honestly I think it looks like a prison. It's all cement and has those little jail windows and is very... cement. I wouldn't want to go there simply for the aesthetics. It doesn't look like a happy learning place to me. I'd go with Myers Park given the option.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM

17 posts, read 113,661 times
Default Hmmm...what about providence

I am leasing a home zoned for hawk ridge, community house, and Ardrey Kell. But I was looking in Providence too. Just curious,doesn't Providence measure up to Myers Park in terms of test scores and reputation? Just curious if anyone knows how the first year at Myer's Park went as well? Also, I have heard that Hawk ridge is one of the best, but worry about the "crowding" My son was in private school with 10 students to 1 teacher and I wondered if the ratio was low there and if students are recieving individualized attention? I suppose some of these answers will depend on a person's experience.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postij View Post
I am leasing a home zoned for hawk ridge, community house, and Ardrey Kell. But I was looking in Providence too. Just curious,doesn't Providence measure up to Myers Park in terms of test scores and reputation? Just curious if anyone knows how the first year at Myer's Park went as well? Also, I have heard that Hawk ridge is one of the best, but worry about the "crowding" My son was in private school with 10 students to 1 teacher and I wondered if the ratio was low there and if students are recieving individualized attention? I suppose some of these answers will depend on a person's experience.
Providence is actually the top ranked public high school in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. Buying a home in its attendence zone is one of the smartest things a newcomer can do, in my opinion You will not find student/teacher ratios in public school like you do in private school I'm afraid. But an experienced teacher can usually handle a class of 25 and make sure everyone gets the attention they need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte