Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM

99 posts, read 522,560 times

Advertisements

I have no elementary knowledge of German but I want to learn it in Charlotte. Dont have money right now to join any classes :-( do u guys have any idea what will be the best way to learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:39 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,936,027 times
Good morning! My son purchased Rosetta Stone for Japanese and swears by it. It's a little pricey (you can get lots of languages) but the concept makes sense to me. I have actually considered purchasing the German language set for myself, but haven't convinced myself to spring for the $$. Good luck. Or "Gluck" in German and bis später.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM

624 posts, read 2,110,720 times
I've always seen the Rosetta Stone booths in the airport and have been kinda curious about how successful they are. How long has your son been trying to learn the language? Do you have to invest a lot of time, or do you think it could be done at a casual pace?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,326,048 times
In a previous job, a co-worker was trying to learn conversational French for the purpose of doing business. His tutor recommended that he buy a children's pictorial French/English dictionary to assist him. If your budget is low, give that a try to get started. It will help you with basic phrases to get started.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM

197 posts, read 669,057 times
Try this online resource is free and you can practice with native speakers.

Livemocha: Learn Languages Online - English, Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin, å*¦ä¼šè‹±è¯*

Old 09-14-2008, 02:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,936,027 times
Hi, MysteryMT,
I have no idea how well he is doing with it. He just said it was good after he got it two years ago. He has kind of a crazy schedule so maybe hasn't done a lot with it.
For OP: If you don't have the funds to go to a class or buy a set of discs, you could find a friend or kind person who speaks the language and may tutor you for free. As Charlottere said, going online can teach you lots. The children's picture book was a good idea, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 58,606 times
Dictionary / Wörterbuch (BEOLINGUS, TU Chemnitz)

Hi there...here's something you might find helpful...it's an online dictionary that allows you to actually hear the German word you are looking up. I use this all the time!

Good luck

Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 PM

54 posts, read 164,829 times
I can't believe nobody's mentioned International House on Hawthorne. They offer conversational hours in most languages free of charge.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,326,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninor View Post
I can't believe nobody's mentioned International House on Hawthorne. They offer conversational hours in most languages free of charge.
And so you just did....here's a link:

International House

From their FAQ page:

Quote:
2. Does International House offer foreign language classes?
While International House does not offer formal foreign language classes, it does conduct several Language Conversation Hours throughout the week. The Conversation Hours are informal gatherings of languages learners, that provide individuals an opportunity to practice their language skills. Currently, Conversation Hours are offered for five different languages: English, French, German, Farsi and Spanish. For more information on meeting times, check the "Conversation Hours" page on this site. International House also has a partnership with inlingua, who offer discount rates in language courses and other services for International House members.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,721,398 times
A couple of recommendations:

1) Check out the barter section of Craig's List and try to trade Learning German for a particular skill or talent you might have.

2) Search Meet-Ups for group.

3) I have an office in an area that used to be populated with Germans. Not so now but I continue to see lessons offered at the churches. (Lutheran?)
Can't comment too much on #3 as I have no knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte