Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 PM

108 posts, read 377,196 times

Advertisements

Oops, I accidentally posted this in the general NC thread but I meant to post it here.

Hi, we are looking to move to the Charlotte area. Im curious to know which are the very best neighborhoods within a reasonable(30 min?) commute to the financial area of downtown.

I dont have any concern about the housing prices(I mean even expensive areas are fine), but if you could, list the ave home cost for the areas.
I'd also like to know which towns have the best schools?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofnj View Post
Oops, I accidentally posted this in the general NC thread but I meant to post it here.

Hi, we are looking to move to the Charlotte area. Im curious to know which are the very best neighborhoods within a reasonable(30 min?) commute to the financial area of downtown.

I dont have any concern about the housing prices(I mean even expensive areas are fine), but if you could, list the ave home cost for the areas.

TIA
Wow Tia, there really are too many to mention. If price is of no concern, look in Dilworth (homes starting at $500,000 but going way up over that), Elizabeth, homes in the $400, 500 and 600,000 range. These two nighborhoods would get right at about 5-10 minutes to uptown.

But within 30 minutes also look in Cotswald, Myers Park, Foxcroft...It really would help if you would give us an accurate picture of what you consider your top price.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:

TIA

Also, if you can spend close to a million on a home I would suggest you check out the excellent private schools in south Charlotte. There are many fine public elementary schools in Charlotte, a few middle schools and a few high schools. Best public schools overall are in Union county and up in Cabarrus county.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:31 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
The best area of Charlotte is south. Anywhere from Myers Park, South Park, Piper Glen, Ballantyne to Union County. Check http://www.charmeck.org and select "Neighborhoods" for more info. The "2006 Quality of Life Study" indicates best areas by economic, educational, employment, crime stats, etc. If you want to view available listings send me a pm. I can give you a good website.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Default Best Neighborhoods

If you like older established neighborhoods, the Myers Park, Eastover, South Park, Foxcroft areas are nice. Piper Glen, Ballantyne Country Club further south are nice as well. In any of these areas you would spend $5k - 1million. There are, of course less expensive homes in South Charlotte but homes overall are more expensive here. You would probably have to plan on spending $400-500.

If you'd like more info on the area send me a pm. I can give you websites, maps, and listings in the area. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Default Cabarrus County???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Also, if you can spend close to a million on a home I would suggest you check out the excellent private schools in south Charlotte. There are many fine public elementary schools in Charlotte, a few middle schools and a few high schools. Best public schools overall are in Union county and up in Cabarrus county.
Which schools/neighborhoods are great in Cabaruss? I've been looking but so far.....not that great. It certainly would be a better commute for my husband. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Which schools/neighborhoods are great in Cabaruss? I've been looking but so far.....not that great. It certainly would be a better commute for my husband. Thanks.
In Cabarrus the scores may not be quite as high as the best schools in Charlotte, but, what you need to remember is this, there is a lot more to a school than its test scores. The schools in Cabarrus county are not plagued with the problems some of the schools in Mecklenburg county are. Because it is a much smaller school system things can be taken care of more effeciently sometimes. And the level of parental involvement is much higher, which can help a school in so many ways. I would say you should take the time to go visit some of the schools in Cabarrus if you haven't already and don't judge them just by what you see on paper. For elementary I would look at Cox Mill, Harrisburg, or Odell. Middle schools to see are Harris Road and Griffin. High school, I like Central Cabarrus High. Good luck. That whole area is really a good choice to live in.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In Cabarrus the scores may not be quite as high as the best schools in Charlotte, but, what you need to remember is this, there is a lot more to a school than its test scores. The schools in Cabarrus county are not plagued with the problems some of the schools in Mecklenburg county are. Because it is a much smaller school system things can be taken care of more effeciently sometimes. And the level of parental involvement is much higher, which can help a school in so many ways. I would say you should take the time to go visit some of the schools in Cabarrus if you haven't already and don't judge them just by what you see on paper. For elementary I would look at Cox Mill, Harrisburg, or Odell. Middle schools to see are Harris Road and Griffin. High school, I like Central Cabarrus High. Good luck. That whole area is really a good choice to live in.
What LM said is pretty much right on the money. My wife teaches in the system here in Cabarrus. There aren't huge gaps in test scores from school to school, as there is in many big districts. Most of the school score really well. My wife loves teaching here and your child will get a good education in this system. Look at the schools LM mentioned, and throw in Roblinson HS (Concord) and the brand-new this summer Hickory Ridge HS (Harrisburg)as well. Good luck!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:

TIA
In a hopefully more direct answer to your question, here's the data for the third quarter 2006 as posted on MLS (I have limited to average sale prices of $400K or above) by zip code:

28031 $513,400 (Cornelius -- north of Charlotte -- Lake Norman)
28036 $518,900 (Davidson -- north of Charlotte)
28202 $570,000 (Uptown Charlotte)
28203 $430,100 (Dilworth/Wilmore)
28204 $515,300 (Elizabeth)
28207 $1,222,500 (Myers Park/Eastover)
28211 $488,400 (Southeast Charlotte)
28277 $405,800 (South Charlotte , includes Ballantyne and Piper Glen)

This is for Mecklenburg County -- I can get you data for other counties as well. Note also that these are averages -- range can fluctuate greatly. For example, Ballantyne area can have million dollar homes as well as homes priced in the 250s)

Check www.ncschoolreports.org (broken link) for school reports -- I can give you exact schools in those areas if you would like.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can help in any way

Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
In a hopefully more direct answer to your question, here's the data for the third quarter 2006 as posted on MLS (I have limited to average sale prices of $400K or above) by zip code:

28031 $513,400 (Cornelius -- north of Charlotte -- Lake Norman)
28036 $518,900 (Davidson -- north of Charlotte)
28202 $570,000 (Uptown Charlotte)
28203 $430,100 (Dilworth/Wilmore)
28204 $515,300 (Elizabeth)
28207 $1,222,500 (Myers Park/Eastover)
28211 $488,400 (Southeast Charlotte)
28277 $405,800 (South Charlotte , includes Ballantyne and Piper Glen)

This is for Mecklenburg County -- I can get you data for other counties as well. Note also that these are averages -- range can fluctuate greatly. For example, Ballantyne area can have million dollar homes as well as homes priced in the 250s)

Check www.ncschoolreports.org (broken link) for school reports -- I can give you exact schools in those areas if you would like.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can help in any way
The problem is that the poster wants to be within an easy 30 minute commute to uptown and the parts of south Charlotte you mentioned, Davidson and Cornelius don't fit that bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte