Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,674 times

Advertisements

Before I start, let me ask: Please, I am begging you, do not post any pictures in this thread!

Okay, now, last week when I arrived home around 7:30-ish one night, I had to go back to my car for something. When I did, I saw a spider on top of my car. I killed it, and it's brother, and it's other brother, and they're sisters, and on, and on...until I had killed NINE spiders.

I went inside and ate and thought about my problem, and then went back outside and don't you know I killed nine more?

So, I went back inside, came back outside a little later, and killed three or four more.

Cut to yesterday, I've killed three or four more each day since then.

Then yesterday the inevitable happened. They found their way inside. Same deal. Went somewhere, came home. Spiders swarming the car. Three on the outside, three on the INSIDE this time.

These are yellow or sand-colored spiders. They only come out at night. I've checked the car multiple times during the day, and the only time they come out during the day is when I drive somewhere and they're disturbed by the movement, and then I might find one or two strolling around when I arrive at my destination.

Really, it's enough to make me cry. Or vomit.

The hair on my neck is standing on end as I type this.

I think it's obvious that eggs were hatched in my car somewhere. But where?

Or maybe it's not obvious? I park on a gravel driveway...maybe it's the driveway that's infested?

Really, when I walk around the car at night killing these things, it's like they appear from nowhere. For instance, I'll kill one on the hood and won't see any others, and, then by the time I walk back around the car, there will be two more on the windshield.

I thought they might be in my convertible top, but I don't think they are. They don't seem to be coming out of that general area.

It's like one of my worst nightmares come to life.

Okay, so anyway, I thought the cold this week would kill them off, but no, it's too warm during the day. So I've called an exterminator, who, I hope, will arrive this afternoon.

I was just wondering has anyone else experienced anything like this?

(Again, please, please no pictures!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
You do realize that a thread like this is useless without pictures....

Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
It's taken all my energy to NOT post a pic of a mean looking spider.

I would hit a car wash and have them do the under carriage. Tell them to thoroughly clean and vacuum the interior. Maybe have your exterminator spray your car.....lightly.

Is there a tree hanging over your car?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

172 posts, read 584,672 times
That is my worst nightmare. Whenever I see a spider I spray it and the surroundings. Large amount of surroundings. That goes for Garage, car. front porch, etc. I have cans of spider spray throughout the house. Spiders eeeek. I use the stuff that is guaranteed to keep killing for 3 months. I do not get close enough to kill them in person. Good Luck. I really feel for you.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
OMG---I would freak out! No spiders here for me please! Ant traps or spraying the outside of the car maybe with spider spray??? Good luck

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Make sure they are NOT recluse spiders. Those are poisonous, however not normally found in the Carolinas. I'd post a pic for you to compare but you asked not to.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
I will only offer sympathy...

I had a similar situation my first summer living in the Pocono Mountains... my car and house were covered and uh....crawling...with daddy long legs. I used to scare the h-ll out of my husband when he was driving because I would see them and screech.

They were gone by Winter, and in the spring I hosed down the house and cars regularly and never saw them again.

Good Luck.

On a brighter note, there is an old superstition that if you kill a spider, you will make it rain. You may just end the drought.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

you guys are so wicked!

mike - that's a great suggestion...it did occur to me that something might be going on with the underbody of the car...but i didn't know how to fix that. and, no, no trees anywhere. just that gravel driveway...oh, and a field behind the house.

snowflake - i know! i was once late to a company meeting b/c i had a spider in another convertible i owned and was downstairs in the company parking lot with the top down in the rain spraying the spider repeatedly with hairspray (because i had no raid). another time i called an ex who i was still good friends with, who was on a date with a new person WHILE he was on the date, b/c there was a BIG spider on my hallway ceiling. i did feel bad about that but i was desperate!

it's actually sort of incredible that this is happening b/c i am so careful with my car. i do ride around with the top down, but i always put the right back up as soon as i stop, and i never leave the windows down.

like i said, i could cry!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM

okay, i will tell you this for those desiring a picture. my mother googled pictues last night after my emergency call to her telling her i needed help with the spiders on the inside of the car...(not that i helped with the google search b/c i DID NOT...good lord, talk about giving me nightmares)...but she thinks they are called "yellow sac spiders." and they actually are dangerous. apparently, emergency room staffs often confuse their bites with the bites of recluses.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 PM

final note (or maybe not, i really won't know until tonight when it's time for them to come out)...exterminator just came. bombed the inside of the car, the trunk and under the hood and left some spray with me.

crossing fingers that this problem is finished!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte