Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 16,614 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.. this is a slick, helpful forum! We've been reading from afar for a few weeks, but with a relo from NJ becoming a reality, we're "jumping in" and looking for some guidance.

We're looking to spend around $350K on a new or near-new home, in a good area with excellent schools (like everyone, right?!).

It's evident from reading many posts that Union County is highly regarded as a great place to live, for many reasons, and is definitely on our short list of places to check out. Our biggest concern, however, is the "realistic" commute time to Uptown (current, and given the ongoing growth of the area).

We're curious about Ft. Mill as another option. It seems to have many of the attributes of Union County (growing area, well regarded schools, nice new developments) at a slightly lower housing cost, with HALF the commute! And it seems the property taxes are less as well.

We've read generally positive posts about Ft. Mill, but it seems Union County pops up much more frequently when answering the "we're coming to Charlotte, where should live" question. Is there something about Ft. Mill that makes it "not quite" as nice as Union County? Are there inherent disadvantages of living in SC vs. NC (other than not getting the in-state college tuition)? Is Union County just a "prettier" area?? Any input would be appreciated... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,171,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTam View Post
Hey everyone.. this is a slick, helpful forum! We've been reading from afar for a few weeks, but with a relo from NJ becoming a reality, we're "jumping in" and looking for some guidance.

We're looking to spend around $350K on a new or near-new home, in a good area with excellent schools (like everyone, right?!).

It's evident from reading many posts that Union County is highly regarded as a great place to live, for many reasons, and is definitely on our short list of places to check out. Our biggest concern, however, is the "realistic" commute time to Uptown (current, and given the ongoing growth of the area).

We're curious about Ft. Mill as another option. It seems to have many of the attributes of Union County (growing area, well regarded schools, nice new developments) at a slightly lower housing cost, with HALF the commute! And it seems the property taxes are less as well.

We've read generally positive posts about Ft. Mill, but it seems Union County pops up much more frequently when answering the "we're coming to Charlotte, where should live" question. Is there something about Ft. Mill that makes it "not quite" as nice as Union County? Are there inherent disadvantages of living in SC vs. NC (other than not getting the in-state college tuition)? Is Union County just a "prettier" area?? Any input would be appreciated... thanks!
Hi Mike,
I truly believe it's one of those things you just gotta see for yourself...I know people that will never leave Fort Mill, and others that feel that way about where they live in Union County. I would suggest driving around both areas to see what you think, and then center your search from there. You may even want to go into a house or two just to see what you get for your money.
Best of luck

Old 02-20-2007, 07:45 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
Hey Mike,
I have friends in the Marvin Area off of Rea Rd near 485 thier dh's work uptown and it does take them 45 minutes...My dh might be working uptown as well and that is where we are looking Marvin/Waxhaw area...You will be getting quiet a few different opinions on commuting Times so It is hard to say, we actually did it today during rush hour at 8:00am we left and it took us from Matthews (union county) 45 min then we got on to 77 and came home to NJ...we really didnt want to come home..LOL....anyway good luck to you and your Family..I did research on Ft Mill and it just felt it wasnt for us, we fell in love with Marvin Area Homes have gotten a little pricey but you can still pick up a beautiful home compared to NJ as u well know for 1/2 the price....I have a fantastic realtor in Union if you want u can PM me....and If I can answer any questions for you pls feel free to PM me and ask away...

Staci

Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTam View Post

South is right Mike, it's really all about personel preference. Both areas are very charming and nice - you just have to see them for yourself to get a feel for which one is right for you. Union County does pop up more often on this forum, but if you go to the South Carolina board you'll notice just how much Fort Mill comes up

Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,154 times
Mike,

One reason you hear so much about Union County is that you're on the NC Forum. You're hearing opinions from realtors who work the Union County area and residents that have bought there. Go to SC and you'll hear good things about Fort Mill. Bottom line is...Fort Mills Schools are highly rated among SC schools but NC schools rate higher nationally. Taxes are less in SC, but in most cases you get what you pay for. Depending on where in Union County you locate or where in Fort Mill, the commute is a toss up. The best thing to do is spend time online (mapquest or mappoint) checking it out.

If you'd like some maps, brochures, tax calculation sheets, or other area information send me a pm. I can send you a relocation packet that might help.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 AM

46 posts, read 209,266 times
My coworker just moved from NJ to Union County. The first day, she came to work Uptown, it took her 2 hours. Her address is in Waxhaw. She has since found shortcuts, but it's consistently an hour. I think her house is 22 miles from uptown.

Union Co. is a beautiful area. I think that you have more choices in Union Co. There are TONS of $350k homes in that area.

Fort Mill is my pick - where I live now, and where I'm closing on another house tomorrow. I'm 12 miles from uptown and it takes no more than 30 minutes. You couldn't pay me to move to Union Co. because I am also trying to keep my commute down.

I think some people just don't really THINK about moving to SC if they are working in NC, especially if your'e coming from out of state. But really it's not a big deal. Taxes are cheaper, gas is cheaper... seems to me that most everything except car insurance and car property tax is cheaper in SC.

Fort Mill has really gotten expensive though.... as far as real estate goes. The school system secret is out, and there are tons of people moving my way. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 16,614 times
Thank you for the helpful responses! Trying to zero in on that "perfect" town for your family from about 600 miles away is a bit overwhelming, so thanks for the input.
We plan on our first scouting trip in a few weeks, so we'll start to experience it for ourselves. So many areas... so little time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte