Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 AM

144 posts, read 404,044 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to turn this into a political discussion. I want to know if anyone is interested in going to Washington on inauguration day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
^Hmm. I'm a little confused. Is that an invitation? Or are you looking to tag along with someone? Renting a bus? Or just plain curious if anyone is going/interested in going?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM

144 posts, read 404,044 times
I wouldn't mind finding a few people to go with. My fiance and I want to go and thought that if other people in the area wanted to go we could go together to save money.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I have been to DC for several Inaugurals over the decades . . . and it is not the easiest thing to pull off unless you have made reservations waaaaay in advance (as in, over a year in advance). If you have a friend to stay with . . . now that would be different. But the traffic just stops . . . lots of walking, cold weather . . . and even if you have an invite to attend some of the parties in the city, they are not what you think they would be like. Things are crowded, you can't hear anyone, never enuff room to actually dance, fight for the hors d'oeurves, LOL, etc.

If you have a friend or group of friends who can provide you w/ a place to stay . . . then maybe you can make it work. Otherwise, eating out is horrific (everything will be so crowded) . . .

You might aim for staying in Baltimore and then taking the metro into DC, but I have no idea what they will be doing w/ the transit system (as far as modified scheduling). These are things you really need to think out ahead b/c I know you want to participate in an historic event, but if you get pushed out into the hinterlands, can't see a thing . . . you may end up wishing you had stayed home where you can get a nice view from watching CNN.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
When I worked in NoVA, our company was one of many that gave us a day off on Inauguration Day because the area is just crazy packed with people. I can only imagine this year is going to be exponentially worse with all of the hoopla surrounding the new pres-elect.

If you do go up there, have a great time!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,772 times
We stopped by on Election Day, on the way home from Hershey. It was neat being there for the first time on such a special day. Our Monument tickets all have the date on them, so we saved them. I also ordered 2 copies of the Chicago and Washington papers to frame for my Daughter. As for Inauguration Day, we will watch that on TV thanks!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM

184 posts, read 359,591 times
I will be there.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 14,388 times
Default I will be there too

My sister and I will be heading out on that Monday, staying with friends in MD and riding the metro from MD to DC. We just want to be in the mist of the day, so if we dont make it to live inauguration we plan on watching it from somewhere in DC

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I don't like dealing with DC on any old day. I'd be about ready to jump off a building that week.

I'm not a big fan of big crowds.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I don't like dealing with DC on any old day. I'd be about ready to jump off a building that week.

I'm not a big fan of big crowds.
Omg Cnn just reported that there will be estimated 3 million people for the inauguration.

I would be tempted to ride one of the charter buses which are probably counting blessing for these ticket sales but things like this or NYC new years eve I always wonder about my bladder control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte