Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 27,028 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving my son and I to North Carolina. My job transfere is in concord. It is the only place they are able to send me. My goal is to live in Charlotte or just outside of charlotte. I want to attend UNC-Charlotte as well as work at my job that will be in Concord. Is there a way to commute to Concord from Charlotte(say, train, bus,ect..) or is it too far of a commute.

I currently live in Chicago, IL where commuting is pretty easy due to the Metra. The Metra basically takes you to many(if not every) city and suburb in the northern Illinois area. All lines connecting to Chicago. My question is, is there such a system in North Carolina? And if not, does any one commute fron Charlotte to Concord at all?

Thank you

By the way, I'm new to this forum

Last edited by ksb9296; 06-09-2006 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2006, 04:16 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb9296
I currently live in Chicago, IL where commuting is pretty easy due to the Metra. The Metra basically takes you to many(if not every) city and suburb in the northern Illinois area. All lines connecting to Chicago. My question is, is there such a system in North Carolina? And if not, does any one commute fron Charlotte to Concord at all?
Wellllll .... the Charlotte area is not known for its mass transit. There is a bus line that provides service in the metro area, not to surrounding areas. The poobahs are touting a light rail for Charlotte, but only doG knows if that will ever be built. If you want to have reliable transport, you'd best have a car. Sorry

As far as commuting from Concord to the Charlotte area -- sure, lotsa people do it. Concord has become a bedroom community to that city. Charlotte is most easily accessed from Concord via hwy 29 or I-85. Getting to UNC from Concord, the best route I recollect is taking 29 down to a crossroad that will take you over to the university area. Or, if you live at the south end of Concord, you can hop on hwy 49 and shoot straight down to the college.

If you plan to work/live/continue your education, while living in the Concord area, you might want to contact UNCC and see if there area any programs to help you at least with relo information http://www.uncc.edu/

Old 06-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Question Thanks silver

I do plan on getting a bigger car than I have now, so I will be driving. Thanks for the advice and the link. I plan to live in Charlotte, its so nice,The communities are so cozy and everyone I met down there is so nice, but have to work in Concord. I guess what I really want to know is how long of a commute it is? An hour? More? Or less?

I appreciate the response.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,010 times
Exclamation I live in Concord, work in Charlotte

There is an 80X city bus that brings you back and forth between Uptown and hwy 29/601 Concord and to Concord Mills Mall area (cost is 2.25 I think). This info is good in case your car goes into the SHOP! Otherwise, I drive back and forth. From Uptown or Southpark (wherever you may be working) get on Hwy 77, to 85 and then cut over to Concord 29/49 if you live on the southeast side, or 85 will take you to Hwy 3 which will bring you into downtown Concord as well. The drive can take 40-60 minutes if you work Uptown Charlotte. If you work at the Southpark area, it can take you 60-80 minutes. I'll see you in traffic. I'm the blond chick with road rage. You may want to move to Concord. It's a pretty cool and growing place. We have a huge Italian Gelato company moving here, the North Carolina Research Campus, several race teams and affiliated businesses, Toyota plant moving in, etc., etc. Sky is the limit in this city. (how can you tell I belong to the Cabarrus County Chamber of Commerce). Safe moving!

Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 PM

60 posts, read 309,179 times
ksb9296-

Hi there!
I live in Concord/Harrisburg as well. I put in another vote for living in Cabarrus County. My husband, son and I moved here 2 years ago and I'm NEVER moving back to Mecklenburg County. It's a great place to live...just friendly people, raising their kids, going to work, and living their lives-and, by the way, some of the nicest people around (of course, I am biased, being a native North Carolinian!)

The best part about it is you are so close (within 20-30 minutes on I-85) to just about anything in Charlotte. It's the best of both worlds IMO.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:40 PM

Talking Hey KelliMM

since moving down here in Late june I have been taking 485 to 85 to get to work. I live in Mecklenburg and work right off of 29 in the little Harris Teeter mall across from the Perdue chicken plant. My job is on concord parkway north about 5 miles or so from the speedway.

Unfortunately, I will be going back home to Chicago in a couple of weeks. I had a few misfortunes that I have to go back home for some time. I really do love it down here and once I get things taken care of, I plan to come back. The quality of life is better down here. Don't get me wrong, i love chicago, but its all rush and go. its more laid back down here.

anyways thanks for the response.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,794 times
Default Another Vote for Concord

Hi ! Hope you enjoy the area! Concord is really a suburb of Charlotte. If you're working in Concord/going to school at UNCC, either Concord or Harrisburg would be perfect. I live in the speedway area of Concord, and can get to UNCC in 10-15 minutes. It's also very safe here with much lower taxes. We love living in the Charlotte area and being near Charlotte, but LOVE Concord and what it has to offer. Commuting isn't bad, but like other posters have said, it depends on where you live in Charlote or Concord, and where and what times of day you're traveling. It can really vary. On "off" times, I can get to uptown Charlotte from my house in 20 minutes. After you get here, post any other questions, and we all here would be more than willing to help!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,021 times
Default Similar question...

If I were to leave Concord a bit later than the average commute, say 9am, how long would it take on a typical morning to get to Uptown? 20 minutes? 30? more?

And what middle/high schools are considered strong in the County? Have people had a good experience with Concord High? I noticed that it didn't make its yearly goal, or something like that...

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,794 times
My wife teaches Science at Fries Middle School here in Concord. A "good" school, but better ones are Griffin Middle/Central Cabarrus High and Harris Rd. Middle/Robinson High zones. The county overall has a great system.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,331 times
Hi I am interesting in moving to Concord NC, I currently live in South Carolina and I am a single parent of three children which I will be bringing two of them with me ages 11 and 3. I would like additional information concerning Concord including affordable living, great schools, and jobs. I have a 2 year degree in Early Childhood Education. Thanks for the information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte