Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Gosh, I had just assumed the T'ville outlet had moved! That is awful. I got our solid mahogany headboard (King) there about 11 years ago for $175. Dern.

Cheesehead: I can just see the assembly going on . . .

Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Gosh, I had just assumed the T'ville outlet had moved! That is awful. I got our solid mahogany headboard (King) there about 11 years ago for $175. Dern.

Cheesehead: I can just see the assembly going on . . .
I know, if I had known, I would have bought them out completely! Ani, the bed had to be delivered twice. The first time, the delivery guys couldn't figure out how to get the pieces apart to get them upstairs. The second time, they had learned how to take it apart a bit. Either way, it took them over an hour to assemble the bed. Made sure to tip well for that one!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I know, if I had known, I would have bought them out completely! Ani, the bed had to be delivered twice. The first time, the delivery guys couldn't figure out how to get the pieces apart to get them upstairs. The second time, they had learned how to take it apart a bit. Either way, it took them over an hour to assemble the bed. Made sure to tip well for that one!
I would be happy with some sweet tea
I felt the same way when Bombay closed it doors 2 years ago. I am like Ani but different like dark woods

Quote:
Gosh, I had just assumed the T'ville outlet had moved! That is awful. I got our solid mahogany headboard (King) there about 11 years ago for $175. Dern..
sounds like a good deal especially on a rare type of wood. Most you find now are mahogany finished and not the actual wood. It kinda of a good thing considering where the wood comes from but still

Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
And so the dog stories continue...

So today I decided to take my lab with me on my dog walking job, no problem there, he and the little maltese had a great time. On the way home he has his big ole head hanging out the window and as I am making a left hand turn I glance over my shoulder and I see the window rolling up he let out a quick yipe and I hit the button to roll it back down. You know how a million thoughts go through your head in a second, I couldn't believe I would have rolled the window up with out looking, wait my hand was on the stering wheel! Yes, dear labby stepped on the button and rolled his own head up in the window. I forgot I undid the lock button to all the controls in the truck, oopsie..

Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

sounds like a good deal especially on a rare type of wood. Most you find now are mahogany finished and not the actual wood. It kinda of a good thing considering where the wood comes from but still
It really was a good deal. I have a sleigh bed, too. Well, I got it for son and it is in the guest room now, but I have a feeling when he gets his own house he and g/f are gonna want that bed, LOL. It is gonna be hard for me to let go of it . . .

As you know, I have 4 stepkids and I gave them all a complete bedroom suite when they got their first places. But . . . times have changed. I used to be able to get all that at the outlets for dirt cheap 15 years ago. Those days have changed.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Wow . . . that was a true "installation" - not just an assembly, Hee Hee!!! I know it is beautiful!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Quote:
It really was a good deal. I have a sleigh bed, too. Well, I got it for son and it is in the guest room now, but I have a feeling when he gets his own house he and g/f are gonna want that bed, LOL. It is gonna be hard for me to let go of it . . .

As you know, I have 4 stepkids and I gave them all a complete bedroom suite when they got their first places. But . . . times have changed. I used to be able to get all that at the outlets for dirt cheap 15 years ago. Those days have changed.
Ani, that is a great gift for your kids. A bedroom set is something DH and I just got this last year, thanks to the Thomasville outlet! Neither of us had ever had one before, so it was a big deal. I know they will appreciate having it!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Ani, that is a great gift for your kids. A bedroom set is something DH and I just got this last year, thanks to the Thomasville outlet! Neither of us had ever had one before, so it was a big deal. I know they will appreciate having it!
I always felt that most of us put off our bedrooms until last. So I decided - give them all something they would not necessarily purchase for a long time. The way I saw it . . . even if they eventually wanted something else - the suite would be wonderful for a second bedroom.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
And so the dog stories continue...

So today I decided to take my lab with me on my dog walking job, no problem there, he and the little maltese had a great time. On the way home he has his big ole head hanging out the window and as I am making a left hand turn I glance over my shoulder and I see the window rolling up he let out a quick yipe and I hit the button to roll it back down. You know how a million thoughts go through your head in a second, I couldn't believe I would have rolled the window up with out looking, wait my hand was on the stering wheel! Yes, dear labby stepped on the button and rolled his own head up in the window. I forgot I undid the lock button to all the controls in the truck, oopsie..
Least he/she is ok. My sheltie isnt satified with just nose out of window and like to put her front legs on the window seals. Anytime I go around a curve Im holding a leg as I make a turn and she un phased as she getting freedom of whatever out there to get a good sniff.
Pets are so much like having children.

Quote:

See your following American traditions passing along quality furniture.
I totally understand my mom fussing at us as a kid to keep the furniture in good shape. Im still working on the reason of lift the chairs and not drag em.
Ikea is good for Charlotte and isnt the reason NC furniture going down the tubes it was a dying breed long before that but will Children of today have a nice set passed along?
Or will we go to people house and they say "Dont sit there it might break"

My mom inform me when Thomasville started production overseas alot of it came in damage Consider it was being shipped from Asia to a port in West Coast then trucked across country. Plus fuel costs, I can only imagine some of the bigger pieces like an Armoire being damaged so maybe the ones who do survive will rethink things and start up production again

I was driving around the triad and there is oodles of furniture store but finding a piece that goes with your collection can be a challenge.
I think that Estate Sales and Antque galleries may be come the only place to buy true NC furniture.
High Point still markets it and if it would open up totally to the public it could be a cool city. Alot of designers in it's downtown

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Least he/she is ok. My sheltie isnt satified with just nose out of window and like to put her front legs on the window seals. Anytime I go around a curve Im holding a leg as I make a turn and she un phased as she getting freedom of whatever out there to get a good sniff.
Pets are so much like having children.

See your following American traditions passing along quality furniture.
I totally understand my mom fussing at us as a kid to keep the furniture in good shape. Im still working on the reason of lift the chairs and not drag em.
Ikea is good for Charlotte and isnt the reason NC furniture going down the tubes it was a dying breed long before that but will Children of today have a nice set passed along?
Or will we go to people house and they say "Dont sit there it might break"

My mom inform me when Thomasville started production overseas alot of it came in damage Consider it was being shipped from Asia to a port in West Coast then trucked across country. Plus fuel costs, I can only imagine some of the bigger pieces like an Armoire being damaged so maybe the ones who do survive will rethink things and start up production again

I was driving around the triad and there is oodles of furniture store but finding a piece that goes with your collection can be a challenge.
I think that Estate Sales and Antque galleries may be come the only place to buy true NC furniture.
High Point still markets it and if it would open up totally to the public it could be a cool city. Alot of designers in it's downtown
Totally get what you are thinking - since I have been thinking all this myself.

I, too, love Ikea. One of the reasons people embraced the brand is b/c of the knockdown quality. I had friends in NYC who lived up flights of stairs and it was nearly impossible to get furniture up to their apartment, but Ikea - AH HA!!! Assembly on site!!! Plus, Ikea's quality has always been (IMO) higher than the Chinese/Malaysian crap so many furniture companies are importing this days.

Since I am into 18th C furniture, you can imagine that I have always been able to find wonderful furniture here in NC for low prices. In addition, estate sales have always been my friend, b/c so often, when momma or aunt died . . . the kids really did not want "that old fashioned Queen Anne or Chippendale stuff." So I have been really fortunate to put together a home furnished exactly as I wanted when still in my 20s. I worked at Hickory Chair while in college and for several years afterward (a time like today w/ a nasty recession and no jobs). As it turned out - I am so so so thankful I worked there and was smart enuff to buy some gorgeous pieces for pennies on the dollar, as now - some of this stuff is so expensive . . . and the newer things are often imports . . . and lesser quality.

So I do think that this recession is gonna give people some time to pause and think about decorating . . . enduring style and even "retro" styles . . . and pick up pieces at estate sales, yard sales and auctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte