Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,905,707 times

Advertisements

I need two crowns and my new dentist charges $1200 each. Does this seem reasonable for Charlotte based on your experience? Also, my dentist makes patients pay 100% up front at the time of service and then reimbursement comes directly to the patient from the insurance co. I've never had this type of arrangement with a dentist. Not sure I want to cough up $2400 for crowns and then wait for the 50% reimbursement. Ouch. Appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,686 times
$1200 seems slightly high, as my crown right at around $1000. Although, that was in St. Louis, and I don't know if you've got any special requirements for your crown.

The paying up front and having the insurance company reimburse you sounds a little hinky though.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I need two crowns and my new dentist charges $1200 each. Does this seem reasonable for Charlotte based on your experience? Also, my dentist makes patients pay 100% up front at the time of service and then reimbursement comes directly to the patient from the insurance co. I've never had this type of arrangement with a dentist. Not sure I want to cough up $2400 for crowns and then wait for the 50% reimbursement. Ouch. Appreciate any advice.
I am currently in need of one and very torn about whether I will actually get it. My doctor wants $1100. His office gets an estimate from insurance for you first on what they will pay toward it. I just found out mine will only pay about $400. If I went thru with it I would be expected to pay the remaining approximate $700. the day of the procedure.

I just keep thinking of all the people I could feed for $700 and I just can't see myself spending my money this way. I think I will have him pull the tooth instead. I know the dentist deserves to be fairly compensated and make a living, but GEEZ...this is just ridiculous.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,967 times
I would check out care credit. The dentist office that work with them will often offer 12 - 18 months interest free financing to help spread out the payments.

I am in the KC area - so I don't know the crown price for the Charlotte area - but mine was a lot less - $800 per tooth - I am having a 3 tooth bridge - one tooth extracted - the other 2 shaved down to support it - a couple of other expenses related to it - total of about $2700. I was able to finance $2500 on my care credit card for 12 months.

If you really must have the crowns now - I'd look into local participating dentists and see if you can get one that has good recommendations from others and have it done there. I did have to pay 100% up front - even though I will not have all the work done until January 2009. I still a big chunk of change - but at least it's better then having to fork it all over now!

Nothing wrong with checking with other dentists, oral surgeons. I wish I would have - have had several issues already.

Here is a link CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Hard to say if $1,200 is reasonable. Not all crowns are created equally. Permanent crowns can be made from all metal, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all resin, or all ceramic, each with their own cost factor.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
From experience, I can attest that both KCMO and STL dentists typically charges less for a crown than dentists here. DH and I both have had crowns in all those locations . . . we could get a really nice crown in STL and KCMO for under $900 - from docs we really liked.

Here, I got quotes all over the map, but nothing less than $1100 and from one very well known doc (advertises a lot - cosmetic work) the cost would have been around $2300 a crown (for incisors - a bit less for molars).

I personally have asked for discounts. I also asked for volume discounts, LOL, when I had two and my hubby was having bridgework done. Don't hesitate to ask for a discount even tho most dentists are not likely to give them. I have a friend who is a dental hygienist and she says the mark up is unreal so I know they can do it - they just want to squeeze all the profit out of each procedure possible, I guess.

KSChick's suggestion is good, too. I have had dental work done this way - thru/ Care Credit. I also have put the charges on a credit card, then transferred them over to another card when I found one w/ 0% interest for 18 months and paid it off month by month.

I noticed some dentists near where I live - and it appears they are more "affordable." I had checked out their website and will use them in the future if I have more need for extensive work. They do use Care Credit, BTW.

Looks like they have several locations thru/t CLT - you may want to check them out.

Payment Options

Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Some dentists will give a discount for not putting the payment on a charge-card too.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Some dentists will give a discount for not putting the payment on a charge-card too.
True - and good suggestion. Also, I noticed your post re: types of crowns and just wanted to emphasize - that is sooooo true. Be sure to compare apples to apples!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I had to have a crown last Spring...my CLT dentist charged me $1050 upfront. My insurance covered $500. Way too high of a price but what are ya gonna do? I wasnt about to loose a tooth because of $550.

Dental insurance sure seems to me to be a scam. Mine covers $1000 per year for everything....anything else is out of pocket. Two crowns in one year would really hurt my bank account!!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
$1200 is what most dentists in the Fort Mill area charge. I know...I just paid in full for one since I already maxed out my insurance (and they know that). Otherwise, they have a schedule and they will charge you an estimate of your share. $1200 is about the cost of the prep (about $300) and $900 for the actual crown. Prep includes placement of core and post, or core and pontic and post. Root canals (which they would have to do before a crown if you don't have one yet) runs about $900 for a molar.

Loves...do NOT have the tooth extracted from trying to save it from a root canal. Unless you're planning to have bridge work done, that space will cause the other teeth to move and you'll lose them prematurely. Then we're taling $4500 implants to get them back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte