Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,381,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
When I was up in the Boston suburbs (Italian neighborhood), I got as many tacky colored lights from Target that were on sale as I could (the ugly ones were cheapest). Yellow and Purple, Gold and some other god-awful colors. The neighborhood was so tacky with its decorations, that I wanted to put our apartment over the top. I also has a big old 5 foot by 5 foot US flag with about 1200 lights that I made. This was all done on the 2nd floor porch and it was so bright, that you could see your shadow in the street. Towards the end, I was just stringing them back and forth across the pillars in a big net.
I had at least 4000 lights on that 25 foot wide porch.

The older neighbors would come up and tell me how beautiful it was and the young college kids would laugh because they knew I did it extra tacky on purpose.

Not all northen neighborhoods are tacky...but some of them are.
Well...I didn't want to go there, but I am Italian & I can confirm that it is mostly the Italian neighborhoods in NY that have all the brightly colored lights & large moving thingys in their yards, lol.

BTW...when I was growing up, it was ALWAYS colored lights on the houses...no white lights. White lights only started showing up in NYC on the trees outside businesses, then it moved to all the corporate parks outside of the city. I'm thinking that was in the mid to late 80's. But there was always white lights on the angels at Rockefeller Center.

BxRosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
When I was up in the Boston suburbs (Italian neighborhood), I got as many tacky colored lights from Target that were on sale as I could (the ugly ones were cheapest). Yellow and Purple, Gold and some other god-awful colors. The neighborhood was so tacky with its decorations, that I wanted to put our apartment over the top. I also has a big old 5 foot by 5 foot US flag with about 1200 lights that I made. This was all done on the 2nd floor porch and it was so bright, that you could see your shadow in the street. Towards the end, I was just stringing them back and forth across the pillars in a big net.
I had at least 4000 lights on that 25 foot wide porch.

The older neighbors would come up and tell me how beautiful it was and the young college kids would laugh because they knew I did it extra tacky on purpose.

Not all northen neighborhoods are tacky...but some of them are.
Was this Malden?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
Thumbs up Some Pictures

Hope you don't mind if I jump in and show you some pictures of Christmas Lights from the Raleigh area of NC from last year.

Christmas 2007

Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Well, hello there, N.RaleighGuy! Nice to see you posting here! And how much fun you have just added to our thread, LOL!!!!

I can't believe that one homeowner posted how many lights, etc, ROFL! Like we all wanted to know . . .

Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,984,851 times
Thanks, Raleigh Guy. I enjoyed your photos

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,905,350 times
Beautiful, NRG! Looking at that puts me in the Christmas spirit!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 AM

755 posts, read 2,494,429 times
Thanks North Raleigh Guy!! I LOVE the pics! I want that giant snowman!!

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas2/19.gif (broken link)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Cheesehead, your decorations sound just like mine!!!! Wreaths w/ red ribbons in windows, each window w/ a candle, white lights on some shrubs. And my little deer (white lights all over them) in the woods on the hill.

Now I am thinking I need some more stuff. I need some white lights that form a Christmas tree - have you seen those? Three of different sizes? They would look so nice up closer to the street. However, I only buy stuff on sale after Christmas. The last 2 years, I have tried to find those "trees" on sale and there were none to be had.
Ani, if you are looking for smaller sized they are easy to make.....use various sizes of tomato cages as the base. I bet they would even pass muster with the HOA.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Ani, if you are looking for smaller sized they are easy to make.....use various sizes of tomato cages as the base. I bet they would even pass muster with the HOA.
I have two tomato cages that I use in my garden every year!!! DH is gonna roll his eyes when I tell him we are gonna string white lights on 'em!!! ROFL! What a hoot!!

Great idea, NCyank!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have two tomato cages that I use in my garden every year!!! DH is gonna roll his eyes when I tell him we are gonna string white lights on 'em!!! ROFL! What a hoot!!

Great idea, NCyank!
Whew....I was a bit afraid the idea was too 'Yankee' for down here...LOL....but we made some in TN and they looked just as nice as the ones people had purchased....and we already had the tomato cages and the lights so it was inexpensive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte