Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 PM

743 posts, read 2,249,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, we put up our decorations usually Thanksgiving weekend, wh/ coincides w/ Advent Season. This year, Advent begins on Nov 30th, so we try to get our decorations up in coordination w/ the liturgical calendar. We also put up an Advent wreath inside. We don't take our tree down until Twelfth Night - since this is Epiphany. Protestant churches do not emphasize the liturgical calendar the way Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopal churches do, wh/ I think has everything to do w/ why trees get taken down right after Christmas Day. My family has always observed the liturgical calendar - so that is why we keep our tree up til Jan. 6th.

I was hoping we could start putting up the wreaths in the windows this weekend, but w/ the icky weather, I don't know that my guys are gonna be very open to that today.

Actually I am Protestant but the rest of my family, children included, is Catholic. Anyway, the tree ALWAYS has to stay up to Jan 6 and cannot come down one day early. And yes our tradition is decorating starts the day after T giving. Always has been like that for 14 years. And the tradition continues, although I am slacking on the inside. Xmas tree may not be up until tomorrow as I have to go buy it yet, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 AM

24 posts, read 73,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Southerners white lights, subtle. Yankees -- freakish. Rednecks -- sad.

Trained my daughters at early age to pick out the Yankees by their garish, over the top decorations. We would ride down the street and they would say, "Yankees, Daddy."

Living in Maryland, there was a house, decked out, in blue. Glowed on the horizon. I initially thought we had bought near a nuclear dump site!

Subtle, people, understated elegance.

LLN
Adolf would be so proud of the way you're raising those kids. If only you could have all white neighborhoods with all white lights.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,346,054 times
My next door neighbor spent 3 days decorating his house. I love it!

What I would really like on my roof is a Santa sleigh + reindeer!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,724,571 times
OMGOSH!! We have our first outdoor decor picture!!! WOO HOO!!!

I agree - LOVE IT!!! Makes my greenery wreaths look pretty darn dull - at nite, anyway. This is really beautiful.

Thank you so much, Xcape! Our first outdoor decorations picture!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Actually I am Protestant but the rest of my family, children included, is Catholic. Anyway, the tree ALWAYS has to stay up to Jan 6 and cannot come down one day early. And yes our tradition is decorating starts the day after T giving. Always has been like that for 14 years. And the tradition continues, although I am slacking on the inside. Xmas tree may not be up until tomorrow as I have to go buy it yet, lol.
I was starting to think I was the last person around here to keep the tree up til Jan 6th!!!

We are slacking here, MD. The guys just couldn't pull it together to mess w/ the decorations b/c of the rain. I don't blame them, but I am soooo disappointed . . . and I have not done a thing inside . . . still have the cornucopia and pumpkins out . . . guess I will have to get busy this week.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,435,910 times
Are we doing a separate thread with the Christmas shots or adding to this one? Because I'll probably have a few after tomorrow night's tree lighting at LMS and I don't want to put them here if we're putting them all in a separate thread.

I can make a "Son of the Official Chat Thread: Holiday Picture Edition" one

Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Are we doing a separate thread with the Christmas shots or adding to this one? Because I'll probably have a few after tomorrow night's tree lighting at LMS and I don't want to put them here if we're putting them all in a separate thread.

I can make a "Son of the Official Chat Thread: Holiday Picture Edition" one
ROFL - Love the "son of" idea, LOL. I don't know if we can get it made into a sticky or not but I know we had talked last year about an Official Holiday Pictures thread . . . and we had a lot of interest expressed. It would probably be a lot more fun to have a thread w/ just pictures and comments on the pix.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,435,910 times
Lemme give it a whirl...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,087,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was starting to think I was the last person around here to keep the tree up til Jan 6th!!!

We are slacking here, MD. The guys just couldn't pull it together to mess w/ the decorations b/c of the rain. I don't blame them, but I am soooo disappointed . . . and I have not done a thing inside . . . still have the cornucopia and pumpkins out . . . guess I will have to get busy this week.
No, I do too!! (assuming that I even put one up) Actually, I keep mine up until Jan 8th...my deceased grandmother's birthday. That was our family tradition.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No, I do too!! (assuming that I even put one up) Actually, I keep mine up until Jan 8th...my deceased grandmother's birthday. That was our family tradition.
Awwwwww . . . you know how sentimental I am - now that brings tears to my eyes, truly. How very touching that you always remember your g/mother and honor her every year. I miss my grandmothers . . . what a lovely tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte