Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,052,760 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, outdoor Christmas decorations went up in late summer or early fall (due to the Chicago weather), but, that consisted of those huge multicoloured string lights that trimmed the roof. They were not turned on until the week before Christmas. However, there were a lot of people that did up whole neighbourhoods like Rosie said and it was an "outing" to go and see them every year.

At my house, all we have outdoors is the nativity. I put it out every year, early, just to remind people what the holiday is all about. I used to trim the inside windows with lights and, one year, even made a wreath for each window, but, with the kids gone now, there really is not any point. Inside, decorations are never put up until the 15th of Dec...and, that is a compromise with my children as my family tradition is Norwegian and we never put up a tree or anything until Christmas eve. Then, the children got to decorate the tree (remember going to Grandma's and all of my cousins doing this together) and put up any other decorations in the house. Afterwards, we circled the tree and sang Christmas songs. MY kids wouldn't put up with that nonsense, so, we just decorated the tree together on the 15th or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
White icicle lights and some lighted yard decorations. Plus the colored net lights on bushes and a wreath. That's about it. Inside, tree and some Xmas decoration.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,052,760 times
One of the main differences down south is that the decorations go up so very early (right after Thanksgiving?) and come down before Christmas is over (Jan 6th). That has always been a source of puzzlement to me.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,416,071 times
They're selling this nifty tree at the FYE in Concord Mills Mall.

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-11/charlie-brown-christmas-tree.jpg (broken link)

Ideal as long as a bunch of you don't gather 'round and start waving your hands over it.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 AM

747 posts, read 2,107,306 times
OK, I guess I am now a redneck??? We add 1 inflatable every year after Christmas (usually 50-75% off). So we are up to 6 now. We even bought Santa in a Nascar last year as a prep for our move to CLT. We only do white lights as a compromise on the tackiness though. We also do a large Christmas village from Dept 56 (we had 1 for Halloween that we set up outside for the trick or treaters to enjoy). We are leaving in a few minutes to go to Sparta to cut down our tree. This year my 8yr old has her own tree in her playroom, so we gave her all of the Disney ornaments we had collected. Our tree downstairs will be all solid colors, mostly gold and silver. Oh, and since I am Jewish, we always set up a small Chanukah bush near the Menorah in case Elijah comes to visit.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Yes, we put up our decorations usually Thanksgiving weekend, wh/ coincides w/ Advent Season. This year, Advent begins on Nov 30th, so we try to get our decorations up in coordination w/ the liturgical calendar. We also put up an Advent wreath inside. We don't take our tree down until Twelfth Night - since this is Epiphany. Protestant churches do not emphasize the liturgical calendar the way Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopal churches do, wh/ I think has everything to do w/ why trees get taken down right after Christmas Day. My family has always observed the liturgical calendar - so that is why we keep our tree up til Jan. 6th.

I was hoping we could start putting up the wreaths in the windows this weekend, but w/ the icky weather, I don't know that my guys are gonna be very open to that today.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
OK, I guess I am now a redneck??? We add 1 inflatable every year after Christmas (usually 50-75% off). So we are up to 6 now. We even bought Santa in a Nascar last year as a prep for our move to CLT. We only do white lights as a compromise on the tackiness though. We also do a large Christmas village from Dept 56 (we had 1 for Halloween that we set up outside for the trick or treaters to enjoy). We are leaving in a few minutes to go to Sparta to cut down our tree. This year my 8yr old has her own tree in her playroom, so we gave her all of the Disney ornaments we had collected. Our tree downstairs will be all solid colors, mostly gold and silver. Oh, and since I am Jewish, we always set up a small Chanukah bush near the Menorah in case Elijah comes to visit.
Aw, heck, it seems you are very ecumenical, so even if it is Yankee and/or Redneck, you have all your bases covered (Christian, Pagan and Jewish) so sounds to me . . . you are simply ENJOYING THE SEASON!!!!! Just promise to TAKE PICTURES and post them here for us all to enjoy!!!

SO it isn't traditional Southern . . . but I bet all the kids in the neighborhood absolutely LOVE your displays!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,382,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
I hope you don't mind I just might "steal" your idea about the kitchen having a Gingerbread theme!
Steal away PA!! I have a wreath on my pantry goor with GB cookie ornaments on it & GB cookie ornies hanging in the window. I'm toying with the idea of putting a wreath on my kitchen light & hanging GB ornies from it. I'll have to check with my D56 buddies to see if any of them still have some left from that product line.

BxRosie

Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,382,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I'm with the Yankee fan on this one , we love to drive the neighborhoods and look at the displays, and I'm glad everyone isn't putting up a few white lights and calling it a day.
Speaking of Yankee fan, I forgot...I have a small white tree with NY Yankee ornaments on it in our Yankee room!

BxRosie

Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Rosie - if you don't take some pictures and share them, you are gonna disappoint us. SO get busy w/ the decor . . . we want to see that gingerbread kitchen . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte