Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:59 PM

69 posts, read 277,463 times

Advertisements

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. He is very smart but has trouble understanding social rules so he has no friends, reads very well but has a learning disability in writing, etc. Our school is trying very hard to meet his needs, but he is very unhappy about not fitting in with the other kids and his anxiety is growing rapidly. We are considering one of the private schools that specialize in kids with learning issues. Does anyone know if Dore or Fletcher is a good place for kids with Aspergers? Are there any other schools or programs we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathems View Post
My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. He is very smart but has trouble understanding social rules so he has no friends, reads very well but has a learning disability in writing, etc. Our school is trying very hard to meet his needs, but he is very unhappy about not fitting in with the other kids and his anxiety is growing rapidly. We are considering one of the private schools that specialize in kids with learning issues. Does anyone know if Dore or Fletcher is a good place for kids with Aspergers? Are there any other schools or programs we should consider?
No personal experience to share, sorry. But I can tell you that both schools have excellent reputations and would be worth you visiting for sure.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:51 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,308 times
A friend of mine has her preschool son at Fletcher. He in on the spectrum but high functioning. She said that in his class they group the children according to varied abilities (i.e. high functioning to lower functioning). Her son was spit on and hit several times and of coarse was expected not to retaliate which was difficult for him to understand. She said he has made great progress with the OT therapy there and they have a great curriculum. It was the social aspects that she felt he was lacking since he was the highest functioning one in the class.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,441 times
it sounds like your son's personal/social needs are not being met at his current school. what county are you in? an option may be if you're in any county other than CMS there should be a school counselor at the school who could work with your son on social skills, etc. if you're in CMS...they do not employ school counselors at the elementary level.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 14,214 times
Fletcher is making a big point of not being a school equipped to meet the needs of children on the autistic spectrum, which is why I was surprised by one of the replies indicating that there is such a a child there. They are moving to a model where they will take only kids that have very specific learning disabilities within a defined band of disparities (i.e., things they know they can fix so that they can tell everyone about their success rate). I've been told that their admissions director has (almost to the point of rudeness) told parents of Aspergers' kids "don't even bother filling out an application, we can't help you." I don't really know about Dore.

Have you looked at Cyzner Institute? It is a very small school, but they really focus on kids with therapeutic needs, and have some kids with autism/Aspergers, as well as kids who fit the Fletcher/Dore profiles of learning disabilities/ADHD. They are in a new facility on Sardis almost across from Charlotte Christian---not a big place but we know someone with a child there and they have had a very good experience.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Fletcher is making a big point of not being a school equipped to meet the needs of children on the autistic spectrum, which is why I was surprised by one of the replies indicating that there is such a a child there. They are moving to a model where they will take only kids that have very specific learning disabilities within a defined band of disparities (i.e., things they know they can fix so that they can tell everyone about their success rate). I've been told that their admissions director has (almost to the point of rudeness) told parents of Aspergers' kids "don't even bother filling out an application, we can't help you." I don't really know about Dore.

Have you looked at Cyzner Institute? It is a very small school, but they really focus on kids with therapeutic needs, and have some kids with autism/Aspergers, as well as kids who fit the Fletcher/Dore profiles of learning disabilities/ADHD. They are in a new facility on Sardis almost across from Charlotte Christian---not a big place but we know someone with a child there and they have had a very good experience.
Interesting, that explains some of the things my friend has told me about her dealings with that school.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM

We had our son evaluated by Cyzner, I was pleased with the staff there. My children are SPD.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 PM

I was wrong, wasn't Fletcher my friends son attends. She was talking about them in the same conversation we had and I got them confused. Please disregard previous post.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 151,072 times
There is now a school for Aspergers and other related social challenges opening up this year (2010-2011) They are also offering summer camp in June and July. It is The Epiphany School of Charlotte and located in Matthews. Regent Schools Check it out. Sounds like your child is just the right age.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,363 times
I am having trouble finding a place to get my son diagnosed I am 100% sure he has Asperger's but do not know what to do about getting him tested or diagnosed any help would be appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte