Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

45 posts, read 300,906 times

Advertisements

So I relocated here in Charlotte not long ago (4months). As an avid body modificator, I've been to several tattoo and piercing shops and most of them were very pleasant experiences. Some tattoo shops have really good artists, some are just so so but overall I think Charlotte still has lots of things to catch up in the tattoo industry.

As for piercings, I was horrified to know that there is no piercing law/regulation here, so you can get something pierced as cheap as $10 or $20 with the jewelry and everything It is insanely cheap but I also am wary of how safe it is, which kind of jewelries being used, since there is no law on piercings, there is no requirement to change needle nor sterilize the piercing equipments after every piercing procedure....

I'm sure some places are diligent in taking good care of their customers, but it's ridiculous to not have a regulation on something as important as sticking needles through your body, don't you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,203,027 times
Piercing joints get inspected... if they are deficient in their sterilization or practices they get fined or shut down. Maybe you went to a place that is flying under the radar.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,980,092 times
I've never given it any thought. But then again there are plenty of moms that don't have a problem getting their toddlers ears pierced by a person with minimal training.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Doors of establishments are meant so you can enter exit.
If you dont like what you see hit this exit.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Just bring your own alcohol if you are concerned. I had my ears pierced at a jewelry store. It was a package deal - buy the gold studs and the piercing was free. That was decades ago . . . never had a problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM

45 posts, read 300,906 times
Well I meant that compare to other states, NC should be more up-to-date with what's going on in the tattoo/piercing industry right now. It's true that piercings sometimes takes second place in a tattoo shop but needles business is not a laughing matter. Even alcohol is not an acceptable cleaning solution anymore in piercing industry (Please go to Association of Professional Piercers) If our State doesn't care what people do with piercings, why would a tattoo/piercing shops go out of their way to take good care of their own customers. And in the meantime, people would just go to Claire's and get pierced with guns by some untrained 17-year-old employee, or wal-mart, etc.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Are you saying you want more stringent laws? Cause I am sure a state legislator will be glad to help you introduce that legislation. Just be aware - along w/ that will probably come a very very high licensing fee that has to be renewed annually, and there will still mostly likely be exemptions for jewelers doing pierced ears.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Where did you get your info about no regs for piercing, b/c I am finding that licenses are required, as are inspections of the premises/equipment.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 26,153 times
I have ALWAYS been satisfied with the piercing pagoda (kiosk) in Carolina Place mall. I have had a handful of piercings done there and they have not given me one problem at all.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,203,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Where did you get your info about no regs for piercing, b/c I am finding that licenses are required, as are inspections of the premises/equipment.
Ahem! Post 2...

Just make sure you do business with a licensed establishment and you'll be all safed up by the protections that regulations accord.

Quote:
If our State doesn't care what people do with piercings, why would a tattoo/piercing shops go out of their way to take good care of their own customers.
The answer is obvious, isn't it? Even if regs didn't require it, why would anyone with any expectation of business success NOT take care of their customers? Especially in a service industry like tattoo/piercing where 99% of the business comes through word-of-mouth, referrals and recommendations. You think the State cares more about you than the business owners who rely on customers to make a living? Where are you from again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte