Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

It appears the several bills have been introduced in past GA sessions which would place stringent regs on anyone who engages in professional body piercing, but so far, my research seems to indicate that none have passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM

In addition, OSHA has regs in place that require standards be met w/ any employee whose workplace could include exposure to bloodborne pathogens.

Bloodborne pathogens. - 1910.1030

NC State has a course available to meet Infection Control requirements for bloodborne pathogens, for anyone engaged in Tatooing and Body Piercing:

NCSU Bloodborne Pathogens and Infection Control for Tattooing & Body Piercing

Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Even if regs didn't require it, why would anyone with any expectation of business success NOT take care of their customers? Especially in a service industry like tattoo/piercing where 99% of the business comes through word-of-mouth, referrals and recommendations. You think the State cares more about you than the business owners who rely on customers to make a living? Where are you from again?
Good point. I think the biggest concern would be Infection Control, as far as a public safety issue.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Ahem! Post 2...

Just make sure you do business with a licensed establishment and you'll be all safed up by the protections that regulations accord.

The answer is obvious, isn't it? Even if regs didn't require it, why would anyone with any expectation of business success NOT take care of their customers? Especially in a service industry like tattoo/piercing where 99% of the business comes through word-of-mouth, referrals and recommendations. You think the State cares more about you than the business owners who rely on customers to make a living? Where are you from again?
This is one of the FEW areas where I think there should be strict regulation. The problem is, most people going to piercing shops either don't know what questions to ask or don't ask any questions to find out about sanitation precautions. Sanitation isn't always obvious, it could be a clean looking shop but not actually clean; some places will even place used needles in new-looking bags to fool people and save costs. If someone catches HCV from the piercing shop chances are they won't know if for years so it's not as though that will cause them to bad-mouth the place and hurt its business; that person may just go tell their friends how awesome it was that their belly button ring only cost $15.

I don't think fines are enough to enforce sanitation either unless they are very large. If the cost of implementing proper sanitation techniques is greater than most fines, or if inspections aren't strict or frequent enough, there are some shops that will just stay dirty. Maybe with more regulation some shops would be shut down and that would be bad economically but when it comes to serious diseases and infections I think it is worth it.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM

45 posts, read 300,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good point. I think the biggest concern would be Infection Control, as far as a public safety issue.
Exactly what I meant!

And yes, I'm sure there will be an anually fee just like tattoo license for body piercers in piercing shops, but it's really for the better good for the public, isn't it? Since right now no one knows about it, thinking all piercings are the same whether it comes from a mall or from a professional places. As for licenses, maybe it wouldn't hurt to require some bloodborne pathogen courses for them to have. But again, with the possibility of the exemption for Claire's, or Piercing Pagoda stores across the malls, there will be people who wouldn't care as long as they get some blings for 10 bucks

Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Well, the thing to do is to get legislation passed, as it appears there have been attempts to do in the past. Infection control IS a huge concern, especially bloodborne pathogens.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 AM

5 posts, read 11,674 times
NC has regulations just like every other state, I've been in a lot of piercing/tattoo parlors and they have all been extremely clean and up to date on licenses and requirements. If they weren't they would be shut down obviously. If it's a legit shop then you have nothing to worry about, just because we are southern, we "aint stupid".

Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
is there a law with parental aggrement that a child say 1 year old can or cannot get there ears peirced?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,411,930 times
I dare anyone to google image "body modification".

Go ahead...I dare you....

Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Smile piercing standards in N.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post
So I relocated here in Charlotte not long ago (4months). As an avid body modificator, I've been to several tattoo and piercing shops and most of them were very pleasant experiences. Some tattoo shops have really good artists, some are just so so but overall I think Charlotte still has lots of things to catch up in the tattoo industry.

As for piercings, I was horrified to know that there is no piercing law/regulation here, so you can get something pierced as cheap as $10 or $20 with the jewelry and everything It is insanely cheap but I also am wary of how safe it is, which kind of jewelries being used, since there is no law on piercings, there is no requirement to change needle nor sterilize the piercing equipments after every piercing procedure....

I'm sure some places are diligent in taking good care of their customers, but it's ridiculous to not have a regulation on something as important as sticking needles through your body, don't you think???
I'm a tattoo shop owner and the piercer in the shop,we are apprentice with very strict and moral procedures weather or not each individual keeps their practice clean or not is total up to them but cheap jewelry and. unclean practices they wouldn't be in business for long ,if it don't look clean and it don't smell clean it's not clean.Just because it comes out of a pack does mean it has been. steirlalized you can contact your local health department and ask what kind of steirlizer the tattoo shop has it will be on record if not go some where else by law they supply a spore test to the health stainless steel jewelry is to bee used it does not stick to a magnet if it sticks (fake) needles come in a small serialized pack doing take a rocket scientist to figure out if the place is clean or not but then maybe it does. Rick Webb New addiction tattoo and body piercing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte