Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 AM

403 posts, read 1,581,749 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC from Key West, FL. But I'm also looking in Cape Coral and Tampa. I suggested Charlotte because it seems like a nice area to live with reasonably priced homes and the job market seems good. But I also like the 4 seasons and the cold weather. But I also like the water and almost all of my family lives in Florida. Should my wife and I move to Charlotte or Cape Coral or Tampa? We really can't decide on what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,202,483 times
I consulted my magic eight ball and it said:

Old 11-01-2008, 01:15 PM

123 posts, read 303,822 times
If you have a job, yes. Otherwise... find one before you move. There are lots of layoff here too.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:28 PM

221 posts, read 724,988 times
Default Stay or go?

Coming to Charlotte from Tampa myself, my words of advise are.....If you like the water and enjoy being able to walk there often (as I am sure that you do) then you may have some culture shock here. We did not go to the beach that often although we were minutes away from the Gulf, so the water is not an issue for us, but I have met people here that are unhappy about driving more than an half an hour to the beach. The one thing that I do miss though are the wonderful breezes from the water and also our daily rainstorms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC from Key West, FL. But I'm also looking in Cape Coral and Tampa. I suggested Charlotte because it seems like a nice area to live with reasonably priced homes and the job market seems good. But I also like the 4 seasons and the cold weather. But I also like the water and almost all of my family lives in Florida. Should my wife and I move to Charlotte or Cape Coral or Tampa? We really can't decide on what to do.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM

116 posts, read 299,087 times
Hail no! Stay in Key West. Are you nuts? Seriously. Once you leave the outskirts of Charlotte, in some cases, you are in Redneckville. You will recognize this when you start to hear banjo music...This area of NC is sorely lacking in jobs with many layoffs, and a lot more to come, I'm sure.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:18 PM

380 posts, read 1,758,019 times
I'd say don't move. family is too important. Stay near them. I moved away for better weather and I am missing out on stuff...like the planning of my son's wedding. Grandkids that will come soon. My mom's last few years. Family out trumps better weather. Don't get me wrong, I love Charlotte. But I have days that missing the family becomes very hard.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 AM

876 posts, read 3,795,231 times
we relocated from Ft.Lauderdale. We don't care for the beach, hate hurricanes, and the cost of living and crime was increasing, so we left. Our family is scattered from Ft.Lauderdale to Atlanta so being near them wasn't a huge concern.

If you are a big family person, stay where you are. Charlotte is not for everyone. I enjoy the seasons change, the clean air, and the quality of life; that is why we are here.

I would also tell you to stay away from Cape Coral. If your choices are Charlotte or Tampa and you can stand being away from the beach, then bring it up here, otherwise go to Tampa.

Two more words of advice: job before relocation and rent before you own.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 AM

403 posts, read 1,581,749 times
We've decided to cross out Cape Coral and look into Tallahassee as an alternative choice.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
It would probably help if you told us what you do for a living, what is your motivation for moving (other than cooler weather), etc.

To be honest, from the outside looking in, your choices of places to move seem pretty random and a bit whimsical.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,974 times
I will be honest. I really enjoy going to Key West. It is a fun place. But, there is only so much to do on Duval Street. Once you live there for a couple of months, you are out of options. Key West is 200 miles from Miami and stuck in the middle of nowhere so to speak. Granted, no matter where you move, you will not have the wonderful waters of the Keys, but unless that is the main issue, I personally would move. I wanted to move to Key West a few years ago and considered all options. The only employment opportunities would have been to have a charter fishing business with unreal competition, be a bartender, a waiter, a clerk in a gift shop, or work in the Earnest Hemingway House. Not a lot of options. Bottom line, if you are willing to give up the island life for big city life three hours from the beach go for it. Other than a few nutcases that get on this thread to annoy others and some that display sour grapes, Charlotte is a very desirable area to move. We are having economic problems presently like everywhere else, but that won't last forever. I am sure that the above writer (Jim) is being nasty and refering to Charlotte as being a "blue" city while the state is "red",but I believe that is the case in all states that have cities with huge black/liberal white populations. I am sure you are smart enough to deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte