Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,059 times

Advertisements

A lot of us have moved to the Charlotte area from elsewhere, and can't always find some old favorite grocery items here. Or maybe your supermarket just stopped stocking some product that you miss. Post here the grocery items you can't find anymore, and maybe help a neighbor out with suggestions if you know of a source.

Here's a few items from my list to start it off:
  • Maypo brand oatmeal. Has a gritty texture that I miss, now that I can't get it anymore.
  • Potato knishes. The Teeter used to have them at the deli counter (Joshua or Kabila) around the Jewish holidays, but I haven't seen them in a few years, and now I always bring back a supply when I visit NYC.
  • Brioschi, a fizzy antacid powder like Alka Seltzer. I used to see it here in Hannaford and Eckerd when they were around, but no longer.
  • Drake's cakes. Funny Bones, Yodels, Yankee Doodles, Ring Dings. These used to be around a few places here for awhile, but not lately.
  • Lots of varieties of Entenman's cakes. Yeah, the stores have some varieties, but where's my Filled Chocolate Chip Cake and all the others?
  • Stella D'Oro almond cookies. Like Entenman's, there's only a limited variety of Stella D'Oro products down here.
  • Tree Tavern frozen pizza.
  • A good italian bakery for cookies and the like. No, the bakery section of the supermarket will just not do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,864 times
*Locatelli Pecorino Grated Romano Cheese
*Cases Pork Roll
*Fresh Sliced Turkey and Roast Beef (No Preservatives) Made Fresh From My Local Market

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times
I could have sworn I saw ring dings at Walmart the other day, but it could have been some sort of Hostess product instead... I will have to check on that when I'm there again. I saw a small variety of Stella D'oro cookies at Bloom, but again, not sure which kind but I do know they had my favorites - the one with the round hunk of chocolate in the middle =] I would LOVE to find good bakery cookies, not that I need them as I am in the middle of a massive diet! Has anyone seen Tuttorusso crushed tomatoes in the green can for sauce? I saw them in walmart for the first time the other day, but they were whole tomatoes not crushed. I just bring a huge supply down from NY when I can.. but it would be much easier if I found them here...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
McCowan apples.
Apple relish.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 PM

149 posts, read 536,113 times
I had to laugh when I read the first post. I've been craving Maypo forever!!

I finally broke down and bought maple flavored cream of wheat today, but it's not the same. You're exactly right, DaddySpice, it's the texture!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A lot of us have moved to the Charlotte area from elsewhere, and can't always find some old favorite grocery items here. Or maybe your supermarket just stopped stocking some product that you miss. Post here the grocery items you can't find anymore, and maybe help a neighbor out with suggestions if you know of a source.

Here's a few items from my list to start it off:
  • Maypo brand oatmeal. Has a gritty texture that I miss, now that I can't get it anymore.
  • Potato knishes. The Teeter used to have them at the deli counter (Joshua or Kabila) around the Jewish holidays, but I haven't seen them in a few years, and now I always bring back a supply when I visit NYC.
  • Brioschi, a fizzy antacid powder like Alka Seltzer. I used to see it here in Hannaford and Eckerd when they were around, but no longer.
  • Drake's cakes. Funny Bones, Yodels, Yankee Doodles, Ring Dings. These used to be around a few places here for awhile, but not lately.
  • Lots of varieties of Entenman's cakes. Yeah, the stores have some varieties, but where's my Filled Chocolate Chip Cake and all the others?
  • Stella D'Oro almond cookies. Like Entenman's, there's only a limited variety of Stella D'Oro products down here.
  • Tree Tavern frozen pizza.
  • A good italian bakery for cookies and the like. No, the bakery section of the supermarket will just not do.
Your list and my list are pretty similar.

I found potato knishes and blintzes (frozen) in the kosher section at the Arboretum Harris Teeter. Not exactly like home , but still very good.

I have been looking for the Stella D'oro cookies too, but I want it sesame ones. And I want the "Ultimate Crumb Cake" from Entemmans

Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
My kids love the Pillsbury Pumpkin Bread mix...they have other kinds just not Pumpkin. Also, around Christmas I always have trouble finding my traditional favorites like fresh cranberries (only this year I got them), squash.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I could have sworn I saw ring dings at Walmart the other day, but it could have been some sort of Hostess product instead... I will have to check on that when I'm there again. I saw a small variety of Stella D'oro cookies at Bloom, but again, not sure which kind but I do know they had my favorites - the one with the round hunk of chocolate in the middle =] I would LOVE to find good bakery cookies, not that I need them as I am in the middle of a massive diet! Has anyone seen Tuttorusso crushed tomatoes in the green can for sauce? I saw them in walmart for the first time the other day, but they were whole tomatoes not crushed. I just bring a huge supply down from NY when I can.. but it would be much easier if I found them here...
BJ's has The green and blue ones by the case. Can't remember the price, but they are CHEAP!! I have to give credit for that find to Southbound and UNCGdad.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
"Has anyone seen Tuttorusso crushed tomatoes in the green can for sauce?"

I have some in my pantry. I picked them up at Walmart on Sardis a few months ago.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
I saw Maypo at Walmart Supercenter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte