Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times

Advertisements

My situation is a bit different. Lived here, moved away for 7 years, came back.

Could not wait to get back to Cheese Waffies, a product by Wise. Within weeks of returning to NC, and buying several packs, they disappeared from the shelves. I took that as a personal affront!

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I could have sworn I saw ring dings at Walmart the other day, but it could have been some sort of Hostess product instead... I will have to check on that when I'm there again. I saw a small variety of Stella D'oro cookies at Bloom, but again, not sure which kind but I do know they had my favorites - the one with the round hunk of chocolate in the middle =] I would LOVE to find good bakery cookies, not that I need them as I am in the middle of a massive diet! Has anyone seen Tuttorusso crushed tomatoes in the green can for sauce? I saw them in walmart for the first time the other day, but they were whole tomatoes not crushed. I just bring a huge supply down from NY when I can.. but it would be much easier if I found them here...
Check this similar thread. There is a big discussion on Tuttorosso.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...bstitutes.html

Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 PM

285 posts, read 800,027 times
what about Redpack tomatoes

oh and I love the dulce leche cake from Entemanns, Oh how I miss there $1 days in BayShore

Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Default Drakes!

We had Drake's cakes in Charlotte for about a year around the 2000 timeframe. The problem is that Interstate Bakeries owns the Drake's brand and the same delivery people were delivering Drake's as well as Hostess and other brands. Whenever I went looking for Drake's, it always seemed as if it were intentionally hidden on the back of the shelves behind other products. After a year of this nonsense, Interstate decided that Drake's just didn't sell well in this area (wonder why?) and dropped the brand from this area.

Last time I was in NY, it looked like Interstate was starting to combine the brands, probably with the intention of eliminating Drake's entirely. A box of Yodels that I picked up at PathMark was branded "Drake's Yodels by Hostess". Eeesh.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I miss:
Taystee or Aunt Millies bread
Vernors ginger ale
blue moon ice cream

Everything else I have found a substitute for

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
Can't find

THUMANN"S HOT DOGS!!!!!

and the big shocker......Carolina Rice.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
+1 for Thumann's hot dogs..I need to find them......I used to be a dirty water dog guy (Sabrett) until I tried Thumann's......mmmmmmm

Also, kudos for bringing up the "ultimate" crumb cake by Entemann's.....the "regular" crumb cake does not do its big brother (the ultimate) justice..it doesn't have as many "crumb balls" <----LOL as the ultimate......where can I get the Ultimate??

Nova Bakery is good. However, they don't carry eclairs or good crumb cake which are my favorites (a bakery not carrying these I don't understand...)

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Can't find

THUMANN"S HOT DOGS!!!!!

and the big shocker......Carolina Rice.
Buy Mahatma. Riviana | Brands

Don't ask me............... My Mother always bought Carolina & I normally did too.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 AM

29 posts, read 98,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
*Locatelli Pecorino Grated Romano Cheese
*Cases Pork Roll
*Fresh Sliced Turkey and Roast Beef (No Preservatives) Made Fresh From My Local Market
what about Fresh Market for the sliced turkey and roast beef - we buy there and I believe it is fairly fresh and preservative free.

also Nova bakery should have your italian cookies I would think?
have you tried Pasta and Provisions on Providence for great Italian eats? - fresh pasta, sauces, like the NY stores.

nanine

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Since I moved here in July I haven't been able to find my favorite CoffeeMate flavored creamer "Coconut Creme." (I don't like coconut yet love this product!) I looked in all the grocery chains and one manager offered to get it in for me, but when he checked his computer, he said it wasn't listed as an option. What gives? When I was in PA over Thanksgiving I brought some back with me, but now I'm out again. I was going to ask relatives who are coming to visit in Feb. to bring some down with them, but they're flying and I'm sure the liquid would be a problem! Woe is me. I live the sad life of a desperate junky, but I'm getting by...hahaha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte