Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 16,769 times

Advertisements

Moving from Chicago this summer (2009). Have four kids (8,6,4 & 2) so a family friendly community with GREAT schools are priority. Have been researching the Matthews, Waxhaw, South Charlotte areas and keep hearing good things about subdivisions such as Marvin Creek, Brookhaven and Palisades. The community pool and clubhouse concept is very attractive as way to meet new people and for the kids to know their future classmates before the Fall 2009 semester starts. Any comments / suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 AM

983 posts, read 2,543,815 times
Welcome to Charlotte, I am new to Charlotte myself and found that searching this forum gave me a great deal of information. I am renting for now to give myself a chance to feel the area. I live in the Ballantyne area, south Charlotte and so far I like it. I am heading north this weekend to explore and see what else is out there. I would suggest renting a place for a little while, rent is very cheap as well, so yo are not rushed into buying right away. Go on-line and search search search, a ton of information out there. I found www.allentate.com website a good place to search for homes, it's better than Realtor.com, which doesn't show you all the pics except if the realtor is paid for it and it's full of ads. I don't have kids, so schools is not an issue for me, but I am still going to buy in a good school area so I can sell later with ease. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,373 times
Good advice. I recommend also, that you find a real estate agent that you really click with. In this market....you really need someone who has your best interest at heart. When we moved here, I don't know what we would have done without ours. She knew everything...took our family needs into consideration and we ended up, literally, in the most perfect place we could have hoped for. With SOOO many options right now in this buyers market....get help and learn about all of the different areas; the pros and cons and the future marketability of those areas. That's what you pay a real estate agent for. There are some really great ones that contribute to this forum. Listen to them. Welcome to Charlotte. I hope your family enjoys it as much as ours does.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 25,593 times
There's definitely neighborhoods with community pools/clubhouses in the South Charlotte, Ballantyne and western Union county areas (which is where Waxhaw, Weddington are located).
Some tools that may be helpful for local school info:
Statewide school performance for NC, check out: NC School Report Cards
The Charlotte Mecklenburg School System: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
A national website which includes forums and feedback from parents: Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Union County NC School System (located southeast of Charlotte): Union County Public Schools

Best of luck to you and your family! The climate in Charlotte is MUCH more moderate than up North

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks for your great comments and quick responses.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
I agree -- definitely check out the schools in all the areas in which you are looking. Websites provided by previous poster are good. One other thing you may want to consider is where the job is (are) located. Palisades is in southwest Charlotte, Marvin Creek is in Union County just south of south Charlotte and Brookhaven is also Union County but a bit further east from Marvin Creek.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Hi! Where in Chicago do you live now? As a fellow Chicagoan, that would help me direct you to an area with a similar kind of feel...

Please, though, make sure that you have jobs before you come. Our unemployment is bigger than in the city right now and we are looking at the potential of having a lot more layoffs soon.

DM me if you would like any other information.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingchitown View Post
Moving from Chicago this summer (2009). Have four kids (8,6,4 & 2) so a family friendly community with GREAT schools are priority. Have been researching the Matthews, Waxhaw, South Charlotte areas and keep hearing good things about subdivisions such as Marvin Creek, Brookhaven and Palisades. The community pool and clubhouse concept is very attractive as way to meet new people and for the kids to know their future classmates before the Fall 2009 semester starts. Any comments / suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
I'd be careful not to get your heart set on one area in particular until you know which part of town your job/jobs will be located in. With the sprawl and traffic in Charlotte now it's much better to try to live on the side of town closest to where you are working. Once you know that, then you'll have lots of choices of many nice areas.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 PM

WOW....DRINKS ON ME WHEN WE ARRIVE!!!!! What great and welcoming responses on my first day on this site. Your comments and input are extremely helpful.

For those who have cautioned, I do have a job and the office in located southeast of the airport. Thus the reason for looking south.

Thanks again to all of you.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 PM

285 posts, read 800,692 times
come to Waxhaw, its a great area!!! and we're very friendly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte