Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 37,999 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Charlotte from Eastern NC and wondered if there were any neighborhoods that allow golf carts. Our kids would be really upset to give up theirs since we ride it all around out current place.

We are looking in South Charlotte and Union County area.

Thanks!!!
KH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,518 times
In all the neighborhoods i've lived in the south charlotte area i've never seen kids driving around in golf carts (unless you live on the golf course). I have friends and family in golf course communities and still haven't seen it. It's illegal for a child under the age of 16 and I think if anyone did see it in a neighborhood it would get reported to the HOA. HOA's are very strict around here. But maybe someone could interject who lives in a golf course community.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
What in the world do you need a golf cart for if you live in a suburban neighborhood?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
No, you won't be allowed to ride around in a golf cart here. Even the courses are very strict about use of golf carts. I belong to a club in the mountains of NC and anyone having a golf cart must register it w/ the club and is charged an annual fee of $1000 just to use it on the premises, LOL. Golf carts are very destructive to property. In any event, children are almost without except prohibited from using them at any golf club where I have belonged.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Now they may not allow golf carts but I've seen riding lawn mowers, tractors, go carts & dirtbikes being ridden around my neighborhood by kids & adults.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 37,999 times
Wow! We really are moving to the city!

Golf carts are very popular modes of transportation for lots of families in our area. We live in a coastal area and everyone gets together at each others homes to socialize and eat and no one wants to drive their cars a few houses down so we use the golf carts. I was raised on a small golf course and we have always had one. We even use it to pull the jet ski around to the ramp or to the garage.

This was my first post to this forum and I felt some negative vibes coming off some of these posts. I hope for just honest answers to my questions versus sarcasm.

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 PM

97 posts, read 276,905 times
We use a golf cart alot when we travel in our fabulous RV. However, a golf cart is not allowed in our community which is unfortunate. We would love to take the golf cart to the pool instead of piling in the car. This is definitely not a golf cart area like some!!

Now, there is a retirement community called Sun City and I believe, not positive, that they are a golf cart community. Of course, no young children allowed to live there.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM

101 posts, read 294,789 times
Sun City is a golf cart friendly community, however they are not a kid-friendly community.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCharlotteMommy View Post
Wow! We really are moving to the city!

Golf carts are very popular modes of transportation for lots of families in our area. We live in a coastal area and everyone gets together at each others homes to socialize and eat and no one wants to drive their cars a few houses down so we use the golf carts. I was raised on a small golf course and we have always had one. We even use it to pull the jet ski around to the ramp or to the garage.

This was my first post to this forum and I felt some negative vibes coming off some of these posts. I hope for just honest answers to my questions versus sarcasm.

Thanks.
I didn't think anyone was being negative or sarcastic. I assumed you were in a coastal community and you just didn't realize that here things are really really different. I think we were all trying to draw you a picture so you would understand that it would be highly unlikely that there would be a neighborhood here where kids can use golf carts as a means of transportation. However, they can sure use bikes in the neighborhoods. Just be aware - the streets/roads here are not very bike friendly. In subdivisions, it should be fine, tho.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM

277 posts, read 661,485 times
I've seen several golf carts in use here in Brandon Oaks. They are sometimes parked at the HT on Old Monroe.

Give the size on this place, it would be fun to use a cart for trips to the pools, and also HT.

Not sure of the legal side, I would think that their use on public roads violates NC law, regardless of HOA mandates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte